• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbecue in New York City - Times Article

=Mark

good thing they recycled it.  i missed it the first time.

Not that there's anything wrong with a news roundup based on previous news, but the story about Daisy May's appeared in the Times dining section on August 27, 2003 ("FOOD STUFF; Where There's Smoke, There's Desire"). The Pearson's information appeared on Jusly 2, 2003 ("Butterfield 81, an Upper East Side bistro, is closing tomorrow. In September, it is to become a barbecue spot. Ken Aretsky, the owner, has teamed up with Ellen Goldberg and Robert Pearson, of Pearson's Texas Barbecue"). And the Blue Smoke information is of course old news. But it's standard procedure at the Times to let the restaurant information run through several iterations. Usually there's an Off the Menu or Food Stuff piece, maybe a Diner's Journal, followed by a starred review or a $25 and Under, and then follow-up coverage in Critic's Notebook or other roundup-type trends pieces; they might also get the chef in for a series, etc. That's just how smart media outlets leverage their content.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

i've been wanting to try daisy may's, but they close at like 8:00

Now that sounds like an authentic down home bbq joint. Now if they were open just Friday, Satuirday and Sunday, they would definitely be the genuine article.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter