• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC Recommendations Needed

Rosie

If you are looking for something interesting and ethnic, with really top notch cooking, you might want to try Zaytinya. You may or may not exceed your budget depending on how hungry and thirsty you are.

If you want Ethiopian, which DC used to be famous for, Dukem is pretty good.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I love Cafe Atlantico -- nuevo latino cuisine. The regular menu will push $50 (appetizer + entree + wine), but the pre-theater menu is a super deal. The weekend latino dim sum brunch is loads of fun.

Also recommended, in the same neighborhood, is Jaleo (Spanish -- tapas + others).

That the pastry chef for both places is a regular eG'er did not influence these recommendations. Really.

Lavandou is a good French restaurant in the Cleveland Park neighborhood (Red Line). Check out their specials! (For example, no corkage fee on Monday nights, $25 Table d'hote on Tuesday nights.)

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

If you'll be in DC before the weather turns cold, and you need something close to a metro, I'd recommend Viet Garden in Clarendon for a tasty, inexpensive, and casual meal. They have a decent little outside area for dinner, and you're close to some good bars for some after dinner festivities-- Galaxy Hut, Whitlow's, and Iota.

I'd also recommend Aatish, a Pakistani place just east of the Capitol on Penn Ave. You can also hit some of the Capitol Hill-type bars closeby-- Hawk and Dove, Henry's, and the illustrious Tune Inn.

I'd be hard pressed to spend $50 or less at Zaytinya or Cafe Atlantico-- unless you're Rachel Ray. You could do it without any vino, but why would you?

Seriously, Zaytinya and Cafe Atlantico are both fabulous. But they both push the $50 limit, and they're not exactly casual-- at least not how I define it. They seem to frown on my sweatpants, sleeveless tshirts, and flip flops.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

These recommendations are great. Keep them coming. We will be there for a wedding at the end of Oct. Because I am planning this for family members of all ages I thought I would be able to keep it to $50 but see that I need to raise my price to $75.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

These recommendations are great. Keep them coming. We will be there for a wedding at the end of Oct. Because I am planning this for family members of all ages I thought I would be able to keep it to $50 but see that I need to raise my price to $75.

Rosie, will you have kids in the party? Jaleo and Zaytinya are good with kids, as long as you arrive early, or the kids are old enough to not mind waiting a bit for dinner.

I second Vengroff's Ethiopian recommendation. Dukem, or Meskerem - and kids love being able to eat with their hands.

I will work on some more suggestions.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

A fun and interesting meal can be had at Hee Been Korean restaurant in Alexandria. It is one of the more authentic Korean/Japanese restaurants in the area. The only real drawback is a very extensive menu coupled with a waitstaff that can be somewhat underversed in English. It would be helpful if there were someone who understands the nuances of Korean cuisine, but it is still an adventure to muddle through, especially with a large group that will allow extensife sharing (Though I know you're not into that, Rosie :wink: ). We had a memorable time with the lettuce wraps & multiple fillings as well as cooking our own meatss and seafood on the Hibachi.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

A fun and interesting meal can be had at Hee Been Korean restaurant in Alexandria.  It is one of the more authentic Korean/Japanese restaurants in the area.  The only real drawback is a very extensive menu coupled with a waitstaff that can be somewhat underversed in English.  It would be helpful if there were someone who understands the nuances of Korean cuisine, but it is still an adventure to muddle through, especially with a large group that will allow extensife sharing (Though I know you're not into that, Rosie  :wink: ).  We had a memorable time with the lettuce wraps & multiple fillings as well as cooking our own meatss and seafood on the Hibachi.

I second this suggestion!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I'd recommend Matchbox in Chinatown. They have great pizza for the kids and a kitchen menu, not to mention a beer selection and wine list, to keep adults happy - and all within your 50 dollar limit.

That's another good suggestion. The beer, mini-burgers, and atmosphere are top-notch. But for pizza I like Ella's around the corner a little better.

And welcome to eGullet, Vandyhoo.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

QUOTE (Rosie @ Sep 9 2003, 08:44 AM)

Rosie, will you have kids in the party? Jaleo and Zaytinya are good with kids, as long as you arrive early, or the kids are old enough to not mind waiting a bit for dinner.

I can second the Jaleo with kids recommendation. We've gone early a several times in the last couple of weeks with our daughter (2 1/2) in the group and it has always gone very well. Lots of things for her to try, staff was very nice, and she had a blast when all the desserts came out (no reason not to do dessert tapas too). This is a very affordable option as well. There are quite a few kids at the Bethesda location for early dinner and lunch any time we have been.

Tony

Possibly at the top end of your price range: Restaurant Nora, or Asia Nora. Nora Pouillon has the only certified organic restaurant in the country (or at least it used to be), right down to the wines and the waiters' uniforms. And it's just about the only place I would ever order salmon, mmmmmmmmmmm. Asia Nora is not organic, but very, very good. Oh, and Nora is the "Famous Chef" for the current month on the wall calendar. :biggrin:

For a special family dinner...

I personally like the food and the atmosphere of these restaurants;

Ten Pehn has nice round tables perfect for a party of eight, (Asian Fusion)

DC Coast, open hip feel, (New American)

Olives has a cool square table for a medium group downstairs (even though its a chain...) [My wife loves it there.], (I'm not even sure how to categorize this one...)

Now that I think of it, Levantes could work, nice group platters of Mediterranean snacks. (slightly lower price point.)

Bistrot du Coin could be fun if you were in the mood for it and that is priced very reasonably.

Obviously, I'd recommend my place...but that's frowned upon...

Edited by JRage (log)

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

Surprised nobody has recommended has recommended flavor-of-the-month Nectar. I have been there once, and found the food very, very good (and I recall, reasonabley priced -- there was a lot of wine), the atmosphere upscale but relaxed (some exposed pipes are more equal than others) and the staff extremely congenial, on up to the maitre d'/sommelier/co-owner, whose name eludes me this morning. Small but wonderful wine list, with every selection available by the glass, half bottle or bottle so you can mix 'n' match. Try the Uruguayan white.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Oooh.. WoodlyGrrl... that's a great suggestion. I need to go back to that place. Lebanese Taverna is really good food. And they have plenty of large tables. Good thought.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

Unfortunately for Rosie, the biggest table at Nectar is a six-top and there is only one of them. I'm not sure if they make exceptions for special occasions like this. You would have to call and check. By the time you work through the wine list, and of course the cheese, which you really shouldn't miss, it would be difficult to stay under $50pp. Not that it isn't worth every penny.

Jarad Slipp is the gentleman Busboy mentioned. He is also the pastry chef. I have no idea when or if he sleeps.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Unfortunately for Rosie, the biggest table at Nectar is a six-top and there is only one of them.

Mr. Vengroff;

If I am not mistaken, nothing larger than a four is now accepted.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love