• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacari Grill - Washington Twp (Bergen)

Rail Paul

I received a solicitation for a charity event to be held at Bacari. It appears to be a chef's tasting provided by the restaurant, accompanied by a sale of crafts, collectibles, etc.

Is anyone familiar with the restaurant and its specialties? I don't know Bacari at all

Proceeds benefit Table to Table, an organization which provides food for persons in need.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

i believe nick gatti opened (or at the very least he was the chef at) bacari years ago. he's no longer there obviously, but he probably has some sort of personal relationship with the owners or chef. he's recommended it to me, and of course, table to table is a worthy cause.

website

Edited by tommy (log)

I've been there many times over the years as I live rather close to it. It's very pretty, on the outside particularly. It's quite a cosy place, rather upscale in look and feel; a lot of locals like to eat there for a special occasions, business. Sometimes singles at the bar. I've been there a lot on business, couple of times on dates- good date place.

Everything is good; I don't remember any real clinkers in terms of the food. I remember an excellent filet mignon.

• 9 months later...

Tried this place last week. Although we had an 8 o’rock reservation, we had to wait at the bar for about 20 minutes. It was Friday and the place was jamming. Clearly it’s a popular spot.

The menu didn’t do all that much for me. It was typical of these types of places: mid-tier places with unimaginative, heavy food.

I got some sort of shrimp tempura, which was basically fried shrimp. The shrimp were large and the dish, overall, was fun and decent enough. I ended with a pasta with duck meat. I should have known when it said “served in a light cream sauce” that it would come drowned in a heavy cream sauce.

A veal chop was most excellent. The best I’ve had in some time. Thick and juicy, cooked to m/r as requested.

It’s a pretty restaurant, with windows all around. it was insanely loud this night. The bar area is nice and roomy as well, and looks like a decent place for a drink (although it was packed this particular night).

Service was as you’d expect. Upon ordering the second bottle of wine (same wine), the server asked “do you want to try this one too or should I just pour it”. *sigh* don’t these places train their staff on the basics of wine? With a list that large you’d think they’d give staff a primer at the very least.

Edited by tommy (log)

I have been to Bacari a few times for dinner and had my both sons' Bar Mitzvahs in the very pretty banquet room and as well as planned countless PTA Holiday Parties at the restaurant on Monday nights when the place was officially closed. John, the owner, was always very community-minded and treated us well.

My overall impression: the place is better at ambience than food.

I think that South City Grill may also be affiliated with the "Grills" but am not entirely sure.

Janbee

Edited by janbee (log)

Lover of Broadway, beaches and chocolate.

• 3 weeks later...

Went here for dinner last evening. Had 8:30 reservations, the bar was mobbed and the place was very noisy, but it emptied out by 9 or so and quieted down. The food was very good. I had the salmon, my son had the mahi mahi, hubby had the filet, daughter had a chicken dish and future sonin law had the filet. Everyone enjoyed their meal.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde