• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charlies Pool Room

John

Yesterday I went to Charlies Pool Room in Alpha, N.J. It has a reputation for good hot dogs and was reviewed by the Star Ledger's Munchmobile last year. When judging hot dogs, I focus on the dog itself, not the atmosphere, service, location, or any other factor. But I would suggest going to Charlies at least once just for the experience. Simply because this place is so unique. In a rarity for me, I will be returning with friends/family more for the experience than the hot dogs.

As for the dog, it is a Kunzler brand beef/pork dog. Keep in mind that this place is in West Jersey near the Pa. border. They prefer their dogs a little blander than what we would like here in the North Jersey/ N.Y. area. Kunzler is made in Lancaster County Pa. and is the dog of choice for many hot dog stands in the area including Sammy's, Charlies, Jimmie's, and Doc's Dog House. These places use a roller grill, or steam their dogs. Charlies cooks them in a frying pan with some oil in it. Cooked well done until the skin is slightly crisp, these dogs taste better than those at the other places using this same brand. And if you like condiments, they have a Hungarian sauce that they are famous for. Made by the same recipe that the owner's grandmother developed in 1925. It contains onions, ring peppers, hot peppers, celery, tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper, and a secret ingredient that the owners (brothers Joe and John Fencz) will not give away. I will not eat it because of the onions. But I brought some home and Mrs. Hot Dog Guy loved it.

They get customers that come from all over the state to eat their hot dogs. Being a small place with only the 2 guys, they don't sell a lot of dogs. Maybe 400 a week. When they are mentioned in the paper, they sometimes get an extra 50 customers.

Their father passed away last year at 92. Up until then he cut hair at a barber chair right behind the counter. This place has to be seen to be believed. A white shingled old house that used to be the local jail, it has a 1928 wooden cash register, one small table to eat at, and one pool table. They only sell hot dogs, Twizzlers, and Blow Pops. In the back behind the pool table is a narrow little hallway with a stove where they do the cooking. This leads into the small kitchen. There is only one pan to cook the dogs in, so you will probably have to wait.

Younger brother John is the cook, while older brother Joe mans the register. I strongly suggest that you take a ride to Alpha to see this place for yourself. Good, unique dogs with a special sauce, served in a one of a kind place by some of the friendliest people you will meet. It's like a trip back in time. If you go, mention E-Gullet. And let us know what you think.

John the hot dog guy

The address is 1123 East Blvd. Alpha. Warning: those of you used to dining in Manhatten may experience culture shock. Tommy, I think this is a place that you would get a kick out of. I'd love for you to go and report back.

John the hot dog guy

I had the opportunity to try Kunzler hot dogs this afternoon with friends in the Philipsburg area. I'd agree with John they were a little less spicy or peppery than I like, but they seemed a bit wider than many dogs. (Box of 48, two 24 packs for food service use)

I played around with them on the grill, and created a ripper. Didn't get a chance to skillet cook them in oil, but they grilled up nicely.

Kunzler is based in Lancaster PA. I noticed dextose and corn meal in the ingredients, which is consistent with the expansion and ripping

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

It's funny that you can get Kunzler chicken franks around here, but not the regular ones. They also make an all beef frank which is ok, but not really kosher style. It lacks the garlic/paprika that the beef franks around here have. There is one place in N.J. on Florida Grove road in Seawaren that carries them. But you must buy them in bulk. Not worth it in my opinion. These franks are very average, but they like the milder flavor out in west Jersey/Pa. A number of places out there use this brand. Some use Berks. Like Toby's Cup. I personally like the Berks brand better. Tastes very good deep fried with a slice of pickle on it. The guys at Charlie's Pool room said the Berks was garbage.

John the hot dog guy

No, I don't own it. Just had a good time being in such a unique place. I wrote to Weird New Jersey magazine and suggested that they check this place out. Plus, the owners got such a kick out of being mentioned on some other forums and in the Star Ledger. Just somewhere that has to be seen to be believed. The oldest operating business in Alpha.

John the hot dog guy

Thanks, dbrociner. John was raving about this in the same way I sometimes rave about a particular place and then I get worried people might think I have a vested interest.

John, I hope you didn't take offense. As noted above, I do the same thing.

And Holly, lighten up. I never accused you of having a vested interest in Red's Eats. :biggrin:

• 4 months later...

I ate a couple dogs here last week while visiting a friend in phillipsburg. He live about 2 miles away. John is right about the "ambience". The guy - also named John - was very nice. He went in the back and cooked the dogs on an old stove and took the sauce out of the fridge and heated it up for me. It was - bottom to top - bun, dog, sauce, and a pickle the length of the bun. The sauce was very good. I don't like mustard and couldn't really taste any in it.

Gotta hand it to John for finding this place. It is really in an out of the way location. He must have a special nose for finding good hot dog joints.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Glad you liked it, Rockhopper. And I'm glad someone from E-Gullet experienced it. I had heard about Charlies on the Munchmobile forum and contacted John, one of the owners. Have you been to Toby's Cup? Only about a mile or 2 away. I like their dogs better. But I don't use the Hungarian sauce at Charlies because of the onions. To many people, this is what makes the dogs one of the best.

John the hot dog guy

• 1 year later...

Holly,

Glad you made it to Charlies and put it on your site. Loved the pictures. It has to be one of the most unique places to eat a hot dog.

John the hot dog guy