• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trip to Santa Barbara this Oct.

FireIslanddish

I like the Santa Barbara Shellfish Co shack at the end of the pier. They have great lobster and crab and they're also pretty reasonably priced. Also, I like this Japanese place, Edomasa, for udon and some basic sushi.

The Cajun Kitchen in nearby Carpinteria is supposed to be a great breakfast place, but it's not really, in my opinion.

Stacky's Seaside, in Summerland, is a surfer burger joint that I haven't been to, but is pretty popular with the locals.

Everything is pretty expensive in SB but you probably won't suffer from sticker shock after coming from NYC. However, the good eats are not as plentiful and varied as in NYC, and I believe it's about a two hour drive going down to LA.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Scouting to relocate to Santa Barbara from NYC in a few years.  Looking for good restuarant and cultural ideas.  Staying at Bacara.

Cheers

FireIslandish,

You will need to rent a car if you stay at Bacara. It is down the 101 a little bit from SB. Request an ocean front villa. The Biltmore is more centrally located. For eats: Brophy's on the pier for fried Santa Barbara shrimp, oyster shooters and cold Buds. Citronelle, of course :biggrin: (tell Isabelle, the chef, that Mark sent you), the Wine Cask - you can splurge on a great bottle of wine in their store and bring it to the restaurant.

Mark

Can I ask for a more specific recommendation in SB on the nicer end of the spectrum?

Some friends are heading there for their anniversary. What would you recommend for an anniversary dinner in Santa Barbara?

(not that the seafood shack, taqueria and Brophy's don't sound awesome)

Having lived in SB from 89 - 98 ( from NYC) I will add that compared to NYC there are almost no restaurants to recomend. Downeys was always good and a cut above most SB kitchens. Most of the places to eat dont have staff stay very long and there is little or no cutting edge food. Supa rica is ***** five star good. Blue Agave on Cota is good and Joe's on State( a landmark) for steak and strong drinks . Above the Navy building by the breakwater is a good (name is ???) seafood place, a little nicer than Brophys however Bropheys is a "local thang" as is the breakwater for breakfast. Set your sights low if you are used to eating at lets say Gramercy Tavern or similar you wont find it in SB ( or easily in LA for that matter). There used to be a sign at the beginning of town that said "WELCOME TO SANTA BARBARA, SET WATCH BACK 1 DECADE" . Just kidding but they should.

Im now in Santa Monica which is more crowded , more expensive, less beautiful, but I meet people who arent so mellow that they are one step from a coma, like SB. If I was retiring then SB for sure but if you want to have a life, social and otherwise and need to earn $$ then SB is a tough choice. Additionally housing prices have gone crazy lately so be careful. We bought in '90 and had to wait till '97 or so to get our money out, and this was a modest home. Bacarat is nice if you got the dough plus has ( I've heard) an excelent restaurant. However it is a ways from SB proper. Same price range is San Ysidro Ranch. Really great old property going back to Hollywood hayday like Lombard and Gable

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Hey Beach, yea I thought about it but when I left in '98 it was so so. I understand alot has changed and it is not the case now. People seem to like Bouchon too but it also post dates my SB days. Of course if you want to go in another direction like lets say Bar food or Mexican or Cal-Mex type burrito places then SB has much(mucho) to offer or at least it did. It is not possible for me to drive through SB and not go to supa rica so it would be my #1 recomendation plus its soooo, soooo, Santa Barbara as is Joe's on State. Same bartenders since the late 70's and waitress too.

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

This is my first post here, so just in the interest of disclosure, I am employed in the foodservice supply business, and many of the restaurants mentioned in this thread are clients of my firm. More importantly, I love food, and am a twenty year Santa Barbara resident.

I am a bit disappointed by the low esteem in which our local dining options are held, but I do understand. The labor pool isn't quite as deep here as it is in larger cities, and turnover is high. As dfunghi says, this isn’t NYC, San Francisco, or Chicago.

So you probably won’t find “cutting edge” food here, or have any life changing meals. It is quite possible, though, to dine very well, and there are probably only a handful or so of nicer places on earth to spend a few days. So let’s eat, shall we?

First, I am not a big breakfast person. However, I do like the Cajun Kitchen, though I prefer the De La Vina street original location to any of the newer spots. It is very simple food, though. When I am in the mood for breakfast, I go for an old fashioned Mexican one, at the Rose Cafe. There is one on Haley Street, and another nicer one on what is known as “the Mesa”, which you will find located at the intersection of Cliff Drive and Meigs Road. (side note: this is just across the way from the Lazy Acres Market, which any lover of food and wine MUST visit while here). Order the huevos rancheros, and ask them to top it with chili verde, instead of salsa.

For something more elaborate, I would recommend the El Encanto Hotel. It will be pricey, but it sports phenomenal city views, and out to the islands beyond. Brunch at the Biltmore is also a favorite.

Esau’s on lower State Street would be the local’s favorite “greasy spoon” option.

For lunch, I love Cafe del Sol, across from the Bird Refuge. This is one of those restaurants where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. One can find better food, and certainly better value (this is where the Montecito trust fund babies come to get soused, and it is priced accordingly), but the combination of location, food, and service is hard to beat on a sunny Santa Barbara day. We always sit on the patio. Oh, and I believe that they have the best margarita in SB. Certainly, if you have your heart set on La Super-Rica, then go there. But I find folks often come away disappointed, mostly because their expectations are too high. Remember, it’s street food, served on paper plates, so be forewarned. The Paradise Cafe has loads Santa Barbara spirit, and may be worthy of your consideration. Do you like Italian food? Try Via Maestro 42, on upper State. They serve excellent pannini, gelato, and tasty goodies to take back to the hotel room. Make it a point to go to Brophy’s, at least for a cocktail. The place has great energy. Or for a higher end lunch, go to Via Vai in Montecito, sit on the patio, and have one of their wood fired pizzas, and a bottle of vino rosso. You’ll swear you are in Italy.

When the dinner bell rings, I have a few favorites. To repeat, Downey’s, Wine Cask and Citronelle will all deliver the high end experience, with service above average for this area, and wonderful food. In addition, I would include Sage and Onion, Restaurant Nu, Bouchon, and the San Ysidro Ranch on this short list.

A bit less obvious, but a definite find, is Aja, located on upper State. They serve a kind of Pacific Rim cuisine, in a non- fussy atmosphere, at neighborhood prices. Of all my reccos, this is the one that you’d be least likely to discover on your own. They are also very corkage friendly here, so bring along your favorite Riesling, and don’t forget to offer Tim a taste!

There are no shortage of Italian options; some of my favorites are Olio e Limone, Ca Dario and Trattoria Mollie.

If you go over the hill to Santa Ynez, try Brother’s, Trattoria Grappolo, or Chef Rick’s.

I do hope you come away from your visit with positive feelings about our area. I hope one or two of my recommendations enhance your stay.

Juanito

Was recently in Santa Barbara.  I can highly recommend Downey's.

How about a report?

I haven't unpacked yet and need to go through 100+ emails. To be brief. I liked the wine at Wine Cask--a Stage Coach Veraison-- better than the food.

Sage and Onion was fine but not fine enough to bring me back there.

Really enjoyed the food, presentation and sauces at Downey's.

In Ojai Suzanne's was great.

I was on vacation so will need to pull up the menus to remember what we ate.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

:cool: Hi, I live in Santa Barbara, for 28 years. There is no great Italien food,

or seafood. I've eaten at all of the above mentioned. S.B. Shellfish was really

horrible. Noisy for a small place, and overcooked calamari. The locals here, and

most of my friends do not like Bacara. I had a salade with no dressing on it.

Not good food. Downeys is boring. But they do have a good lobster salade,

and the tenderloin you can suck through a straw, no desserts. Nothing very

interesting. Nothing has changed there on the menu. I really don't like the

Wine Bistro, the osso bucco was minute. Nothing to excite. There is a table by

the fireplace, that is choice. La Superica is just nothing to toot about. No

atmosphere, no sauces, a la carte. I make much better food. No rice. They do make

homemade torillas, no big deal. You will be disapointed!!

For lunch I would go to the Biltmore, and eat outside. The food is great, it's

really changed this last year. You can order lobster, or whatever you want, if it's

not on the menu. It's just nice to see the dolphins and it's a relaxing atmosphere.

I like the food at Citronelle. The Carpaccio of Eel is a masterpiece. The enrobed

shrimp is wonderful as an apetizer. The caesear salade is too rich, you won't be

able to eat your meal. Celery root soup is great. Duck. Chocolate pear dessert.

Don't get the Napoleon dessert, it's like a crunchy cookie. Seafood entrees cooked

perfectly.

I like the Sage and Onion. They have the BEST cheese souflee in the world, anI eat in New York and San Francisco, etc. Also the soup as the complimentary, can be

ordered as a bowl, see my Roasted Corn and Truffle Cappuchino recipe I posted.

They have another great soup on the menu, oriental-sweet, coconut. The

prime rib is always good. The desserts are awful. Go to the Biltmore for coffee

and chocolate covered strawberries, or chocolate souflee and listen to the

music there from 9-12p.m. at La Sala Lounge, the ONLY music in town on Saturdays

and Fridays.

I used to like San Ysidro Ranch, but the last few times were really unbelievably

bad. Tough steak, etc. Oili y Limone as well 3 hours of no service, and nothing

notable. Same with Bouchon. (raw garlic) Typical food, nothing specially prepared.

It's time for lunch. E-mail me if you want sushi recommendations, those are

pretty good.

Also the El Encanto has changed their menu, but I haven't eaten there this year.

So I have only mentioned 3 1/2 restaurants. Our restaurants overall are not very

good.

Edited by jat (log)

I live in LA, and have always enjoyed SB dining. A few:

Super Rica: I didn't get it the first few times, but now I'm addicted. Get the #16, spoon it into the warm tortillas, add some guacamole and firey pico di gallo and it's perfect Mexican. The rice and beans are always good, as are specials like Tamale's.

Pane e Vino: A solid Italian trattoria in Montecito. Keep it simple, and you'll enjoy sitting outside. Much better than Via Vai, which has nice outdoor seating, but very bland food. It also, for some reason, feels like the Upper East Side meets the Hamptons ...blah

Hitching Post: Drive to wine country for the best french fries in the state. The grilled artichoke and steaks are solid too.

Brophy Bros. is your standard Wharf restaurant. Wine Cask O.K. Ca Dario has very similar food to Pane e Vino, but in SB central. F.S. Biltmore is your standard five star resort food - overly ambitious and poorly executed. Decent lunch, however.

Enjoy.

Coachboy

:biggrin: FireIslandish

I forgot to mention, welcome to Santa Barbara. ( I have been down, several

months to go still before I can really cook. )

But you are welcome to come to our home and I will cook you some decent

Mexican food if you like, my husband is Mexican, and I have learned everything

from scratch, his Mom is the BEST cook, so I have been priviledged to be taught by

her, the best chile rellanos, mole, you name it. That is why we don't think Superica

is very good. # 16 probably is your best bet. To us it's a step above taco bell...

So neighbor, give me an e-mail in 3 months, and I'd love to cook whatever type

of food you enjoy.