• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Test Kitchens in NJ ?

CPC used to have a fairly extensive facility in its Englewood Cliffs HQ, don't know if it still exists. CPC is now a part of UniLever, I believe.

I'd suspect many colleges which offer home economics degrees for the co-eds might also have them. (Two anachronisms in the same sentence)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I'd suspect many colleges which offer home economics degrees for the co-eds might also have them. (Two anachronisms in the same sentence)

Well... I believe Douglass College (aka alma mater) still offers a degree in Home Economics. The subgroups were Foods & Nutrition, Clothing & Textiles, and Education. There used to be a food preparation class that attracted many males.

OK, so I roomed with a home ec major - the sort of gal you loved to hate because she could do ANYTHING. I've since commented that "before there was Martha, there was Colleen." :smile:

You could also consider the Food Science department at Cook College; which also used to have an area that sold homemade ice cream (though I never tried it).

Actually, it's the high schools that have cut out home ec these days. I visited my old high school a few months ago and was told that the bulk of the space once used for home ec is now used for computer labs.

Another possible resource might be the County Agricultural Extension Service.

Maybe this helps a little...

You might also try Atlantic County College near Atlantic City. They have a very strong Chef program and so does Hudson County Community College. They should both have test kitchens, but I don't know if they are open to the public.

You might also try Atlantic County College near Atlantic City. They have a very strong Chef program and so does Hudson County Community College. They should both have test kitchens, but I don't know if they are open to the public.

i can tell you that ACC does not have a test kitchen . i am a grad from there and know this for a fact.