• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meet Sam Kinsey (slkinsey), new NY co-moderator

Fat Guy

Samuel Lloyd Kinsey (slkinsey) is joining the eGullet.com team today as co-moderator, with me, of the New York City & State forum. Please see the full announcement here.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Very nice.

Kinsey's writings are, to a post, educational and entertaining. I may not agree with everything he says, but I always look forward to his words. Great words.

Congratulations to the New York crew.

*edit to prove to self that one shouldn't type after 1am

Edited by mcdowell (log)

Somehow it seems perverse -- cruel even -- to congratulate him, when he was so clearly duped, suckered, exploited, and hoodwinked into doing this.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Somehow it seems perverse -- cruel even -- to congratulate him, when he was so clearly duped, suckered, exploited, and hoodwinked into doing this.

indeed. i was very careful not to use that word. the way i see it, it's good for us, bad for him. but don't tell him that.

congratulations us, with the exception of sam.

Congratulations. :rolleyes:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'd say, for a new moderator of something like the Pacific Northwest or Italy forum, it would be simple smiley-free-appropriate perversity to say congratulations. But given what a pain in the ass the New York Metro Area eGullet members have been historically, I don't think anything less than six or seven emoticons can do the trick. You have no idea how hard it was to find a user who was at the same time 1) highly intelligent, and 2) with a lot of food knowledge, yet 3) extremely gullible, and 4) clueless enough about eGullet history to be willing to take this job.

I'd just like to add to this that the girl he's mostly impressing these days is me. Any other girls he's trying to impress are largely fig newtons of his imagination.

:biggrin:

Naturally, congrats, Sam! And no, I won't start referring to you as "the boss of me."

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

But isn't the whole point that you should want him to impress other girls so they'll be envious of your status?

But isn't the whole point that you should want him to impress other girls so they'll be envious of your status?

Aw, all I have to do for THAT is walk down the street with him. They fall to the ground weeping and clutching at his legs. We have to beat 'em off with clubs.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Thanks, everyone.

No one has mentioned my main qualification, which is that I am a self-important, over-educated arrogant ass who talks too much. I hope to fit right in. After all, that's why I moved to NYC! :biggrin:

--

No one has mentioned my main qualification, which is that I am a self-important, over-educated arrogant ass who talks too much.  I hope to fit right in.  After all, that's why I moved to NYC! :biggrin:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sam, we already knew that and it went without saying! :raz:

Now about that avatar! Whose eye is that???

Anything more on that loin cloth or the fur covered jock straps? :blink:

All of my best my friend,

Lynn

edit: Grammar :wacko:

Edited by beans (log)

No one has mentioned my main qualification, which is that I am a self-important, over-educated arrogant ass who talks too much.  I hope to fit right in.  :biggrin:

Other self-important, over-educated arrogant asses who talk too much don't generally offer up the obvious concerning others.

Edited by MatthewB (log)

Welcome, Sam.

Have him take another picture of that eye after 6 months on the job. Compare, then see how you like it.

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

[

Now about that avatar!  Whose  eye is  that???

:

My guess: Alex from A Clockwork Orange

That's what I've thought all along. You mean it ISN'T?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Now about that avatar!  Whose  eye is  that???

My eye.

Oooooh, exactly what I was afraid of!

Are those hazel or green? How about a peek at the whole handsome mug?! That eye is soooo piercing! (but in a good way)

:raz:

Luv ya Sam. :wink:

[i think it was the chicken/rooster stories with them in the garage with the car headlights].