• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candy

chocomoo

I'm surprised that no-one has posted a topic on Japanese candy! :shock: Save for the odd thread or two (Wagashi), most of the topics on this forum seem to be pre-occupied with savoury food. Japanese candy is by far my favourite type (nationality?) of candy....

At the moment I can't decide which are my favourite candies though...

However, fruit-flavour wise, I do love muscat and apple flavours. I also really like green tea flavour. There's a soft & chewy green tea candy here that actually has macha (sp?) powder dusted onto it--my boyfriend didn't like it because he wasn't expecting candy to be so bitter.

I recently had the blood orange flavour of Hi-Chew (the first time I bought it, it fell out of a little hole in the plastic grocery bag & I never found it :sad: ) , but it didn't wow me. I don't really know what I was expecting...

I used to be a fan of gummies until some more exciting candies came out, although I have to say that Kasugai makes a very delicious selection. They used to have milk flavour, but I don't think they make that anymore. Out of Kasugai's gummy flavours, I like apple (tastes like apple juice!) and muscat the best. The strawberry and kiwi flavours are also really good. The lychee is not bad.

So, candy lovers out there.....I'm waiting to hear from you! :biggrin:

What are your favourite candies?

What's the best/worst-flavoured candy you've had?

What's the most unusual candy/candy flavour you've seen?

Do you like hard or soft candies better?

Sorry for the extremely lengthy post, by the way... :blush:

I also like the chewy milk candies. I forgot the brand, but the packaging is red and has a big face of a little girl in pigtails.

Milky?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I like chewy candies and some of my favorites in Japan are the Hi-chu (not sure of how they spell it in English) in any fruit flavor, I really dislike yogurt and milk flavored candies.

I also really like a candy called poi-full, they are sort of like jelly beans and they have a new summer flavor of kakigori (shaved ice) out now.

I also really like those chewy things that you eat wrapper and all, the warpper melts in your mouth, forget what they are called as I haven't had them in a bout 10 years.

I like chewy candies and some of my favorites in Japan are the Hi-chu (not sure of how they spell it in English) in any fruit flavor, I really dislike yogurt and milk flavored candies.

I also really like a candy called poi-full, they are sort of like jelly beans and they have a new summer flavor of kakigori (shaved ice) out now.

I also really like those chewy things that you eat wrapper and all, the warpper melts in your mouth, forget what they are called as I haven't had them in a bout 10 years.

Really? You don't like yogurt & milk-flavoured candies? How bout actual yogurt or milk?

I really like Poi-ful too! I haven't tried the normal-flavoured ones, but I do like the Calpis-flavoured ones. I'll keep a lookout for the kakigori-flavoured ones here.

Chewy things wrapped in rice paper? Were they white and did they have a rabbit on the wrapper? If they did, I hate to tell you....those are milk candies! ^___^ I like those too, but I think those are Chinese candies.

Really? You don't like yogurt & milk-flavoured candies? How bout actual yogurt or milk?

I really like Poi-ful too! I haven't tried the normal-flavoured ones, but I do like the Calpis-flavoured ones. I'll keep a lookout for the kakigori-flavoured ones here.

Chewy things wrapped in rice paper? Were they white and did they have a rabbit on the wrapper? If they did, I hate to tell you....those are milk candies! ^___^ I like those too, but I think those are Chinese candies.

I don't really like milk or yogurt either.

One thing I hate is green apple flavor and the Japanese use it a lot!

I always think green is going to be lime and then I bite into it and it is green apple, eeewww! :angry:

So, are we talking candy sold only in Japan, or elsewhere? Where are the above sold?

I remember the rice candies. We called them ricepaper candies. They were orange flavored. My friends thought I was so cool!

Well, I live in Canada & haven't been to Japan yet, but all the candies that everybody's been talking about here are also available here in Vancouver.

Green apple flavour--yeah, I find that it tends to taste fake.

I haven't had Meltykiss yet--is it really that good? It's a bit expensive here at the Asian supermarkets, but I will try it next time I'm in the mood for chocolate.

Chewy candies--Uha also makes ones similar to Hi-Chew, but I'm not sure if they come in fruit flavours. They're yogourt candies with little gummy bits inside--I've tried the grape, orange, & strawberry flavours. I like the grape one the most!

I don't know what these are called, but they are chewy and gummy with a clear rice paper that melts in your mouth. They are in a small box with a little "prize" temporary, rub on tatoo with them. Others I like are these skinny shortbread sticks that the ends are dipped in chocolate and then in almonds. These are outrageously good. The last candy I've tried is kinda like little cups of jello. The once I have currently are from Eishindo and are all fruit flavoured. However the ones I really love are the same sort of thing with a small piece of fruit in the center (what fruit is that?). I visited my cousin in Seattle and we snacked on these little cups throughout the entire weekend. I can't find them at our asian markets. :sad: The favourites are I'm guessing are kiwi-strawberry, pineapple and lychee.

Others I like are these skinny shortbread sticks that the ends are dipped in chocolate and then in almonds.  These are outrageously good.

These are pocky, and have been discussed here many many times, here is one thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...t=7303&hl=pocky

The last candy I've tried is kinda like little cups of jello.  The once I have currently are from Eishindo and are all fruit flavoured.  However the ones I really love are the same sort of thing with a small piece of fruit in the center (what fruit is that?).  I visited my cousin in Seattle and we snacked on these little cups throughout the entire weekend.  I can't find them at our asian markets. :sad:

The fruit is coconut meat (I think the part in the centre, not the white milky part). Where do you live? They're readily available here in Vancouver--the new fad is pudding flavoured ones.

I don't know what these are called, but they are chewy and gummy with a clear rice paper that melts in your mouth.  They are in a small box with a little "prize" temporary, rub on tatoo with them.  Others I like are these skinny shortbread sticks that the ends are dipped in chocolate and then in almonds.  These are outrageously good.  The last candy I've tried is kinda like little cups of jello.  The once I have currently are from Eishindo and are all fruit flavoured.  However the ones I really love are the same sort of thing with a small piece of fruit in the center (what fruit is that?).  I visited my cousin in Seattle and we snacked on these little cups throughout the entire weekend.  I can't find them at our asian markets. :sad:  The favourites are I'm guessing are kiwi-strawberry, pineapple and lychee.

The clear rice paper ones are millet candy. The original brand, I believe, is the famous Tomoe Ame, which has been around a long time. I remember going to Toyo's Superette in Manoa, Honolulu back in the 1970s to pick them up on the way home from school. Nowadays, in the U.S., at least, it's easier to find "Botan Rice Candy" which is basically a copy. There's also a character called "Tomoe Ame" in the Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo series, a play on the name of Tomoe Gozen.

The little cups of jello are often referred to as "konnyaku jelly" or "konjac", though they are very different than the konnyaku you put in your sukiyaki. However, they were banned by the FDA because they could lead to choking death in small children - apparently the jelly is almost impossible to dislodge immediately once it is stuck in your throat. I don't think they are available (legally) in the U.S. any more except in greatly modified form. Apparently some producers got in trouble for trying to sell off their existing stock after a recall notice was issued.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

I grew up loving Botan Rice Candy - my parents would include them in care packages when I was away at college. Later in life I discovered Pocky and milk candies. I miss the little toys that came with the rice candy; the stickers were surreal enough to be entertaining, but certainly no substitute for little plastic airplanes and cars.

Sadly, they are all off-limits to me now... which wouldn't be so bad if there weren't a branch of Aji Ichiban (Japanese snack food shop) across the street from one of the Asian markets I shop at. It lurks there, taunting me. :angry:

The little cups of jello are often referred to as "konnyaku jelly" or "konjac", though they are very different than the konnyaku you put in your sukiyaki.  However, they were banned by the FDA because they could lead to choking death in small children - apparently the jelly is almost impossible to dislodge immediately once it is stuck in your throat.  I don't think they are available (legally) in the U.S. any more except in greatly modified form.  Apparently some producers got in trouble for trying to sell off their existing stock after a recall notice was issued.

Oh, that would explain why -- when I went to a new Japanese market they were quite absent from the goodie aisle. The bag that I purchased came from an old market at Asian Plaza (the place with a bag of live frogs all staring at me....)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

In social studies my class of 8-10 year olds is currently studying Japan.

Next week I am going to introduce them to tofu, udon, furikake and possibly some oshinko. We are also going to visit a sushi bar to try cucumber sushi and watch me eat some nigiri. (They have made it very clear, that under no circumstances will they try anything with fish in it.) I figure after all that torture they deserve something fun and sweet. I was thinking about Poky, because it is chocolate and not that scary looking. But many of my students (who are special ed.) don't like crunchy foods. Do you have any suggestions?

I have easy access to a good Japanese market here (where they are used to my asking too many questions) so I should be able to get popular candy.

Also, is there a Japanese equivalent to PB&J or Nutella (that went over very well when we were in Italy)?

Thanks!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

If you want something the kids will really like go for Hi-chew, they are soft chewy candies thata re sort of the candy of the moment right now.

http://www.morinaga.co.jp/hi-chew/

or if you want something more "traditional" (not the best word when referring to candy :biggrin: ) you could go with any of the Milky products that have been around forever and are still popular.

http://peko-oyatsu.com/shohin/index.html

Also, is there a Japanese equivalent to PB&J or Nutella (that went over very well when we were in Italy)?

Are you thinking of something that easy that is eaten as a meal/snack? or of something spreadable?

If it is something snack/meal like I would say onigiri (rice balls) are the best equivalent.

Gosh...what a boring life we lead!

Husband is probably the only person in Japan persisting with a personal ban on Morinaga products since they refused to take responsibility for poisonings which occurred when cleaning products found their way into baby formula...30 years or more ago now, but some people have long memories!!!

This has certainly made it easier for me to manage the kids' candy intake! In recent years we also don't buy gummy candies containing gelatine, ever since I discovered that Japan continued to import animal waste-based cattle feed from the UK even after UK farmers stopped feeding it to their own cattle because of BSE...

What's left? My personal favorite is a thing called Coffee Beat, small chocolatey coffee beans that come in a cardboard tube.

Old-fashioned apollos are also fun to put in cakes or cookies...

For kids in other countries, I often choose Meiji's Kinoko Yama series because the kids like to choose different types, and the cookie/choc combination is OK for kids with fillings or braces too. They don't break as easily as Pocky either.

My kids always go for maximum mess -- the ones you get to mix together and dunk in syrups or powders etc to eat.

They also liked the gummi fruit that you "pick" off the vine to eat.

Currently there's a fad in our house for the old-fashioned hard red or green umeboshi -- usually sold in packs of 1-3 in the discount snacks section!

I always pack a selection of the latest candies when posting Christmas presents to my nephews, especially the seasonal chocolates. Personal favorite: Kash, a kind of thin nut praline bar. This year's choice: Fujiya's marron glace chocolates (little chocolate coated mounds with a souffle choc filling and chunks of marron glace) and souffle na roco, chocolate coated clusters of almond, plain choc, and souffle choc.

Perennial favorites: hard brown sugar candies as well as the newer types. At one time there were fruity ones with soft centers, haven't seen them recently. Kids like the fizzy ones too, but they seem to be more common in summer.

• 4 weeks later...

So, hillvalley, how did the introduction to Japanese foods go with your class? Did they cringe at the sight of you eating raw fish? Did you decide to go with the Pocky? Or did you get Hi-Chew or Milky candies?

So, hillvalley, how did the introduction to Japanese foods go with your class? Did they cringe at the sight of you eating raw fish? Did you decide to go with the Pocky? Or did you get Hi-Chew or Milky candies?

We had to put it off until this week. I got them Caripori, which are hard candy sticks, because they were on sale and had cola flavors.

So far they have only tried nori, but a lot of them liked it, which was very surprising. We are making sushi tomorrow and will try the rest of the foods later this week. Check out my blog for all the details!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I like meltykiss.

The gummies are good too.

I also like the chewy milk candies. I forgot the brand, but the packaging is red and has a big face of a little girl in pigtails.

Oh god... I used to Meltykiss at Marukai in Gardena in SoCal. I so miss that place (no Meltykiss at 99 Ranch in Richmond! :angry: )

• 6 months later...
Old-fashioned apollos are also fun to put in cakes or cookies...

this really caught my interest as i am quite fond of apollo...

i like them in all sizes and get it lots! yumms!

meiji puts out something called the 'meiji enjoy pack' and it is nine pyramids of chocolate heaven:

x3 coffee bits

x3 apollos

x3 choco babies

040710meijiEnjoyPack.jpg

i cant eat american chocolate bars; hersheys and nestles stuff taste too waxy, crumbly and hard. i craaaaave japanese chocolates.

anyways, i can imagine that appollos would be nice in cakes (in place of the boring chocolate chips) or in cookie dough... but id be interested to know if there were other recipes different from what i might imagine up...

if you happen to catch this post, could you provide a link or an actual recipe?

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

but id be interested to know if there were other recipes different from what i might imagine up.

I can never be sure what exactly you mean by that statement, but anyway, I did a quick google search and found three recipes:

http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/sunezou/R...apollo_jam.html

http://cmp.meiji.co.jp/milk/rcp/118.html

http://cmp.meiji.co.jp/milk/rcp/003.html

I must admit they are far from innovative, though.