• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candy

chocomoo

hmmm... I tried chocolate corn yesertday its quite nice anyone else had it?

tastes well like white chocoalte covered popcorn bar . yum!

how about we try to replicate some candy ?

i would like to make the hi chew :biggrin:

although would knowing how to make it put you off eating it?

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

due to regulations, milk based products from japan are not allowed here in america.  or something like that.

It's not a Japan-specific thing. The FDA doesn't allow unpastuerized milk products. That's why it is very hard to find a truely authentic camembert cheese in the US, and why the American military base exhcanges in Japan fly in ultra pastuerized milk.

Cheryl

i looked for this too, but no luck.  dang.  and no passion fruit kitkat.  :angry:

Here are a couple of pictures so you can see what the KitKat looks like--I do still have that one pack left if you're interested! I don't think I'm going to be eating it unless I get a serious craving for chocolate (rarely happens...).

Front of the Box

gallery_11355_878_152305.jpg

Back of the Box

gallery_11355_878_261957.jpg

picked up the new yubari melon kit kat this morning

gallery_6134_549_35169.jpg

it had a great melon taste, but I didn't really care for it with the chocolate...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 months later...

I just saw an ad last night for Dark Chocolate M&Ms... :wub:note to self...go get some to try!

edited for: Whoops!, didn't realize this was a Japan thread...sorry!

Edited by Genny (log)

I saw a new KitKat at one of the Chinese markets here yesterday - I couldn't tell what the flavour was because I can't read Japanese, but it looked like it had a powdery dusting of cocoa inside, which reminded me of Winter Pocky. I almost got it, but I had already bought earl grey flavoured chocolates (I don't remember the brand). I haven't tried them yet, but the box said the chocolate had bits of orange peel inside it.

I saw a new KitKat at one of the Chinese markets here yesterday - I couldn't tell what the flavour was because I can't read Japanese, but it looked like it had a powdery dusting of cocoa inside, which reminded me of Winter Pocky.  I almost got it, but I had already bought earl grey flavoured chocolates (I don't remember the brand).  I haven't tried them yet, but the box said the chocolate had bits of orange peel inside it.

Were the KitKats in a gold box? And are they bite-sized? I had some of those recently and really liked them. The chocolate is of slightly better quality than usual KitKats--more melt-in-the-mouth-like.

Were the KitKats in a gold box?  And are they bite-sized?  I had some of those recently and really liked them.  The chocolate is of slightly better quality than usual KitKats--more melt-in-the-mouth-like.

Yes they were! Hmm, perhaps I'll pick up a box this weekend...

• 4 weeks later...

this was a dud

gallery_6134_1003_5397.jpg

kurozatou/kokutou (black sugar) candies coated with kinako (roasted soy bean powder)

The (unsweetened) kinako was overpowering and you couldn't even taste the kurozatou.

I've been snacking on some kinako senbe of late, but these had a slightly sweetened/salted kinako, much as one would probably do when making kinako-mochi at home.

Though mine didn't say anything about kokutou... in yours, you say the kinako was unsweetened. They didn't blend the black sugar with the kinako?

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Though mine didn't say anything about kokutou... in yours, you say the kinako was unsweetened. They didn't blend the black sugar with the kinako?

The candy underneath was made with kokutou (black sugar), it was a softish caramel like candy that didn't taste of black sugar at all...

• 5 weeks later...

Today I picked up two new flavors of Hi-chew, mango and passion fruit. The mango one was just ok, but I really enjoyed the passion fruit one. I also picked up some lychee flavored ones to take as gifts to the US.

Today I picked up two new flavors of Hi-chew, mango and passion fruit. The mango one was just ok, but I really enjoyed the passion fruit one.
oooh, they both sound so good to me... i hope they get distributed out here... still enjoying the lychee ones immensely.

have you seen these flavours in the past or are these completely new to you?

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

this was the first time I have noticed them, but I have to admit I wasn't paying much attention to Hi-chew a couple years ago...

• 1 month later...

I love these! First 3 products on the page - they're basically hi-chew with gummy bits :wub: . There are a whole bunch of flavours - cola, peach, lemon, mango, cherry, grape, muscat, soda, apple, & maybe some other flavours I don't know about. I tried the soda one on the weekend - it even has fizzy bits in it! So yummy!

• 4 months later...

*bump*

We forgot about this thread! I've been noticing WAY more chocolate candy in the candy aisles here lately. Apparently there's a huge interest in the healthy qualities of it at the moment in Japan.

Anyway, I bought a whole bunch of chocolate & chocolate-related things last weekend. Meiji has a 72% cacao chocolate flavoured with blackcurrant - sooo good, if you like dark chocolate. :wub: They also had 72% cacao plain chocolate.

I also got some green tea truffles - I haven't tried them yet, I'm trying to savour my chocolates :wink: They kinda look like green tea Meltykiss but they're little balls instead of squares.

I also saw what I think is a new Fujiya Look chocolate flavour: grape a la mode, with chardonnay, chardonnay, kyoho, & muscat grape flavours to choose from. I haven't been that impressed with Fujiya's cream-filled chocolates in the past though - the earl grey chocolates that I bought in May were ok - too light & not enough tea flavour for me.

I also got aloe vera candy at the candy store, but I haven't opened it yet either.

I also got this because the box was so pretty - I can't figure out what's in it though, as my Japanese-reading friend has moved to Shanghai.  :sad:

According to the webpage you provided a link to, it's a combination of "an chocolat", leaf-shaped, madder red chocolate, and small leaf pie containing kurozato.

It says that "an chocolat" is a perfect blend of azuki an and white chocolate with a subtle touch of yuzu peelings.

Somewhere somebody was asking about the Wine and Noir kitkats...well, we tried them. Until tomorrow we are still on winter cram school schedule, and more snacks get into my shopping basket at the konbini than at the supermarket.

The Wine flavor was definitely wine and not berry flavor, though a bit on the sweet side...so why did they make the thing strawberry PINK?!

The Noir...it tasted like headache to me, or at the very least, like Oreos.