• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter Candy

skyflyer3

I dunno but I would love to know this also...I love peanut butter...put it together with chocolate and OH MY GOSH!

I am from the burbs of Chicago...St. Charles to be exact. Geneva is a sister town, and they have a downtown area that is simply charming. On one of the old streets, 3rd street, there are all sorts of antique shops, restaurants, knick-nack shops and alike, and there is a chocolate store called Grahams chocolate shop - homemade everything.

And - sticking on topic - there are these HUGE peanut butter cups homemade - they make them in this big window that you can watch them from ont he street - you can also see them from inside the store making the chocolate everythings.

So good.

Click: http://www.grahamschocolate.com/index.html

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

My Great-aunt Ceil makes THE best, but I'm pretty sure she's not going commercial anytime soon. But, it does give me the idea that the best are homemade. She won't give me the recipe, though.

I think she uses peanut butter, butter, confectioner's sugar, and some other stuff, in the filling. It might be worth looking up, old cookbooks from the 40's and 50's might even have it.

It certainly would be a fun trial and error run, trying to make the best peanut butter eggs ever.

Made some this evening. 1 part fondant, 2 parts Reese peanut butter, a bit of fleur de sel. Pressed into large milk chocolate shells, backed off with more milk chocolate.

• 13 years later...

Reviving this ancient discussion:

"Cadbury Mini Egg Chocolate Bars Are The Newest Treat For Spring But You Might Have To Order Them Online To Try Them"

...Cadbury...recently released a mini egg chocolate bar that is a whole new way to enjoy the Easter staple.

I was a little concerned about this new chocolate bar. After all, what helps to make the Cadbury Easter Mini Eggs so good is the crunch you get from the candy shell.

But they seem to have included "shards" of the mini egg candy shells inside the chocolate bar so you still get some sort of crunch.

Sadly, this new bar is currently only available across the pond. There's a link in the article to a listing of the bar on Amazon but it's outrageously expensive at the moment.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I love the kitsch of Easter - fantasy bunnies and the spring colors - but the candy never was the draw. At age 3 I believed that incubating a jelly bean might bring me the live bunny I wanted (!) but the rest -  eating the chocolate guys ears down or bottom up - nah. Plus it was the Easter chocolate and my sister's asthma attack that nixed chocolate from the house for years. I do like the simple foil wrapped eggs. Pretty in a bowl and a handy little snack. i will buy a packet of those. I liked the occasional Cadbury original egg but too too sweet now. The year aunt & uncle took a class on the panoramic sugar eggs was a treat.

https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/panoramic-easter-eggs/

• Like 1

I'd forgotten that Cadbury made the much larger foil-wrapped Chocolate Eggs with Creme and now with Caramel, as well. I agree...a very sweet treat.

That's also why I think I prefer the Mini Eggs because it's a lot less sugar in a bite.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

this is the easter candy i think about every year. the chocolate is barely adequate and everything is probably obscenely sweet. but back in the day i could polish off a disgusting amount (this was why i got fat once upon a time). my favourite are the slightly sacrilegious cross-shaped opera creams covered in white chocolate.

https://www.cincinnatispecialties.com/StoreDetails.aspx/Papas-Candies/Papas-Creme-Eggs/

https://www.cincinnatispecialties.com/StoreDetails.aspx/Papas-Candies/Papas-Marshmallow-Eggs/

• 1 month later...

The Easter candy was on the shelves right next to the Valentines candy this past weekend...sheesh. Let us breathe between marketing opportunities/holidays.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Well you see there are the crafty planners who get it before Lent starts, indulge, act virtuous for 40 days and then go for what is left or hit the after sales which start before Easter anyway to hoard allegedly for future. Beezarre.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...