• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does This Candy Thermometer Need Replacement?

ChocolateCakey

I have a question regarding the candy thermometer shown in the photos.

You can see the red fluid line separates at the top, which has made finding an accurate reading difficult. Additionally, when I purchased the thermometer, it was fairly calibrated. Now, it needs to be calibrated by over ten degrees, I find I have to pull the glass tubing just about nearly to the top, with little room to spare.

Given that context, is the thermometer broken and worth replacing? My assumption is the thermometer will continue to require to be pushed up indefinitely, but it's already out of space. I'm likewise curious if the gap in the temperature reading fluid means the thermometer is broken.

IMG_4732.png

IMG_5731.png

You can try putting it in your coldest freezer to see if that will be cold enough to draw all of the red liquid back down into the bulb to get rid of that floating bit, then check the calibration again to see if it's improved. 

If freezer temp isn't cold enough, dry ice can work for that, too but if the red liquid is something that freezes, it can crack the bulb.  Then it's broken for sure!

I'd give the freezer a try and if that doesn't work, get a new one. 

• Like 2

Thank you for the advice - it seems like replacing it might be the best option. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good candy thermometer.

I had actually ordered another thermometer that seems to have a delayed arrival: https://www.pastrychef.com/DIGITAL-CANDY-THERMOMETER_p_1322.html

Given that there's an unexpected delay in shipping, this seems like a good point to see if I ought to be buying a specific brand or kind of candy thermometer.

I use one of the Chef Alarm thermometers for candy that I linked to above - here.   You can get longer probes for it and there is a clip that comes with it that attaches to the side of the pot.