• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candy

chocomoo

Has anyone tried the (I think) new Matcha Kit Kat?  It tastes like matcha-flavoured white chocolate--it's pretty good if you like white chocolate (which I don't, really, but the matcha flavour helps a lot).
prasantrin, where are you located? im in the u.s. and i havent seen any at my local markets. :sad: i heard that there was also a japanese strawberry kitkat! i have never seen that one either!..
"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

Has anyone tried the (I think) new Matcha Kit Kat?  It tastes like matcha-flavoured white chocolate--it's pretty good if you like white chocolate (which I don't, really, but the matcha flavour helps a lot).

You mean this?

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=767456

I don't normally like white chocolate but I really like this one...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

You mean this?

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=767456

I don't normally like white chocolate but I really like this one...

I thought it might have been mentioned already, but oddly, a forum search (before posting) turned up nothing! Have I mentioned how much I dislike the new search engine thing?

It definitely makes white chocolate much more edible. But I can still taste the white chocolate pretty clearly. However, because of the matcha I can still eat it--only I eat one of the packs (for those not in the know, in each box there are two packs of two sticks, rather than one wrapped set of four sticks) per day, instead of the whole pack in 5 minutes. Good for my figure, I guess!

prasantrin, where are you located?  im in the u.s. and i havent seen any at my local markets.  :sad:  i heard that there was also a japanese strawberry kitkat!  i have never seen that one either!..

I'm in Japan. Sorry! I haven't seen strawberry, but I don't often eat kit kat so I may have missed it. I have seen different flavours of Hershey's Cookies 'n Creme candies, though, including strawberry. The strawberry one was quite popular with my students, though I thought they smelled disgustingly fake (very strong strawberry scent) and tasted as they smelled.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! great thread!! My ultimate favorite candy is the ultra sour gummy bits called "shigekixu". The label has a weird looking...well..cow maybe?

They are hard to find here in New York and I only know one store who has them (or had actually). The last time I checked, they were not available. If they are, I usually stock up 20 packs. My wife who is Japanese is telling me that they are hard to find in japan as well. Is anyone familiar with them??

Other favorites: Melty Kiss, Fran (I prefer these over Pocky), Hi-Chew, kyorochan chocolate almonds.

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

Wow! great thread!! My ultimate favorite candy is the ultra sour gummy bits called "shigekixu".  The label has a weird looking...well..cow maybe? 

I love shigekix too!

here is their homepage with all of their variations:

http://www.shigekix.com/item.html

my favorite is grape and I like the soda (blue one) flavor as well.

I have never had a difficult time finding them here in Yokohama, there are usually a couple varieties in stock anywhere I go.

Wow! great thread!! My ultimate favorite candy is the ultra sour gummy bits called "shigekixu".  The label has a weird looking...well..cow maybe? 

I love shigekix too!

I have never had a difficult time finding them here in Yokohama, there are usually a couple varieties in stock anywhere I go.

I pretty much love them all. Kind of dangerous, I have eaten my way through them until my tongue went numb, not good....

Thanks for the info, I'll check the website and see if they can ship to the US.

Mrs Zeitoun did bring me back the special pack of four which is displayed on the lower right hand corner of their webpage. Special or not, I ate it anyway to her big dismay! (I had to get my fix)

In the US only the lemon and cherry varieties are available.

Wow!

I love shigekix too!

you might want to try looking at other stores or ask you local supplier of japanese goods. at our local store i have seen them all except for the last four... Edited by melonpan (log)

a new favorite

gallery_6134_91_1104274936.jpg

ume sukonbu

these are ume (sour plum) flavored gummies with a sukonbu (vinegared kelp) coating on the outside, yum! :biggrin:

Wow!! This looks deadly :blink: !! I love Ume!!! now how sour is sour?

Where did you find this?? Who is the manufacturer? More info, please, please!!!

Wow!! This looks deadly :blink: !! I love Ume!!! now how sour is sour?

Where did you find this?? Who is the manufacturer? More info, please, please!!!

They are made by UHA Mikakuto, the same people who gave us shigekix!

here is their English page:

http://www.uha-mikakuto.co.jp/english/frame/e01.html

I found them at a supermarket in Yokohama....

prasantrin, where are you located? im in the u.s. and i havent seen any at my local markets. :sad: i heard that there was also a japanese strawberry kitkat! i have never seen that one either!..

I am really hoping they will be shipping to Vancouver, Canada!! I looooove matcha-flavoured things! They sell strawberry Kitkat already here - it's quite common, actually - I think I've even seen it at 7-Eleven. There was a lemon cheesecake Kitkat too, that was also limited edition. It was quite good - kinda like creamy lemon flavour, without that citrusy tartness to it.

gallery_6134_91_1103764267.jpg 

I don't normally care for milky candies, but these cocoa flavored ones are really good!

I think I saw this, and didn't think it was that special, but now that you've tried it & like it, I think I'll go buy it this weekend :raz:

Maybe you can try getting them shipped from Vancouver (Canada) - our Chinese supermarkets carry most of the flavours, I think. I even saw a limited edition "Samurai Peach" flavour!

I pretty much love them all.  Kind of dangerous, I have eaten my way through them until my tongue went numb, not good....

Mrs Zeitoun did bring me back the special pack of four which is displayed on the lower right hand corner of their webpage.  Special or not, I ate it anyway to her big dismay! (I had to get my fix)

I saw at least four varieties of this candy at the Nijiya in the City of Industry in CA a couple of days ago.

Cheryl

The other day Ms zeitoun and I ate these. "Chocoball" chestnut flavor on the left and soybeen flavor on the right and kyurochan posing in the middle!!

gallery_23913_551_1104711412.jpg

the chestnut one sounds great but how was the daizu (soy bean) one?

They were both okay, nothing to be crazy about. It definitely does not outrank the almond one which is in my mind just superb.

• 1 month later...

my latest hi-chew find!

gallery_6134_549_6284.jpg

It is a seasonal product of 3 flavors

sakuranbo (Japanese cherry)

momo (Japanese white peach)

ume (pickled plum)

I don't care for the peach, but I have never found a peach flavored product that I like. The ume and sakuranbo and great and they should make them regular flavors!!

I am really hoping they will be shipping to Vancouver, Canada!!  I looooove matcha-flavoured things!  They sell strawberry Kitkat already here - it's quite common, actually - I think I've even seen it at 7-Eleven.  There was a lemon cheesecake Kitkat too, that was also limited edition.  It was quite good - kinda like creamy lemon flavour, without that citrusy tartness to it.

The latest flavour that I found was Passion Fruit. It was a special KitKat which, I think, was designed (?? don't know what word to use) by a famous chocolatier in Japan. I didn't much care for it. I think I may still have one of the little packs--and I think I bought it in December...

due to regulations, milk based products from japan are not allowed here in america. or something like that.

milk coffee and milk tea seem to be snuck in every once in a while and then they get scarce. according to the store manager of my local japanese market, the reason is because they are banned. he said that its a shame because people go nuts over a lot of the creamy drinks like the milk varieties of gogo no kocha. he said he will be able to get in 20 cases (12 bottles per case) of 1.5 liter bottles of the milk tea flavour of gogo no kocha and it will sell out in a couple days.

i do see these drinks at the stores here so i dont know if its true. but thats what he told me.

anyway, even though milk teas and milk coffees are around, i have not seen <a href="http://fujiya-milky.com/">fujiya milky</a> for a looooooong while. i dont know when i started noticing that they were never in, but i know for a fact i hadnt seen them for at least one year. ONE YEAR.

saw them tonight (was on my way to buy some ramune) and i snagged 3 bags. two of strawberry milky and one regular milky.

yaaay. its back. i hunted the manager down. he said that they are still banned but he was able to bring a couple cases in.

maybe the ban will soon be lifted?

i dont even know what this ban is about. i tried looking up some information on it by google, but didnt have much luck. i can never get the key search words right.

anyway, im pretty happy to see good ole pekochan...

while looking around, i saw mention of a <a href="http://www.wizzywig.com/xcart/catalog/product_42092_Fujiya_Banana_Milky.html">banana milky</a>. ooooh. i could go for that. i always love the fake banana taste in candies and chocolates. really! almost as much as i love fake strawberry taste (these ichigo milkys have real strawberry in them though!).

i would love to see melon milky.... would milk tea milky be popular too? or passionfruit milky? :raz: