• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bergen County area help needed

thereuare

Need a recommendation for a Saturday evening within 15-20 minutes or so drive of Paramus. Meeting a friend who is handicapped and legally blind, so need a place that will not 'rush us out the door' and we can have some time to talk after dinner (as well as understand the extra time involved for a blind person to eat).

In the 'moderate' range, about $50-$60/couple NOT including alcohol.

I've been thinking about this for a few days and couldn't come up with too many ideas, but as i was typing this i thought of perhaps Wondee's in Hackensack. Probably fit the bill well as it's causual, they'll let us linger after dinner, and no steps involved that i recall, but if i can get a slight step up in atmosphere that would be great. As well, i don't know how the other couple feels about thai food, so i'll at least need a back-up plan.

On the other hand, maybe a place with finger food (sandwiches and the like) might be best given the circumstances. Even a place like Brooklyn's Pizza would be fine, but as i imagine there would be a line there on a Saturday nite, i'm sure they wouldn't like the idea of us hanging around after we were done eating.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by thereuare (log)

Instead of Wondees, Bangkok Garden across the street, 1 block down, has a MUCH nicer ambience. And I, unlike some others, think the food is very good there.

On the other thought, finger food, sandwiches, low key, no rush, I recommend Moon Street on Engle Street just off Palisade Avenue in Englewood. The only issue would be one or two steps, if I remember correctly. But it is relatively quiet, you can sit there for hours, and it is casual yet attractive, with burgers, salads, and more elaborate main courses as well. Enjoy!

What about Houstons in Riverside Square.. The steaks and burgers are good and although the room is kinda dark, it works with the decor... (I know, I know, it's a mall restaurant....)

They have other stuff on the menu, I just haven't tried it... Oh, and I can't remember there being any steps...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Menton, thanks for the suggestions.

Since you mentioned the place in Englewood, my friend's first suggestion was Blue Moon Cafe, but i didn't think that place would be understanding to a 'slow' table and also wouldn't want us lingering afterwards (would you agree with this? since you mentioned the place in Englewood, i figured you would probably know the Blue Moon Cafe too (i may have the name slightly wrong, but it's the Mexican place down there))

Thanks!

i'm not sure why i'm saying this, but there's an "Office" in Ridgewood.

there's also the Glen Rock Inn in Glen Rock, if you're interested in pubby-fare and atmosphere. not sure about waits on saturday though, although the dining area is pretty large for a place like that. i'll think some more. there has got to be better ideas. (and don't listen to menton1, go to wondee's and not the other place. :biggrin: )

Menton, thanks for the suggestions. 

Since you mentioned the place in Englewood, my friend's first suggestion was Blue Moon Cafe, but i didn't think that place would be understanding to a 'slow' table and also wouldn't want us lingering afterwards (would you agree with this?  since you mentioned the place in Englewood, i figured you would probably know the Blue Moon Cafe too (i may have the name slightly wrong, but it's the Mexican place down there))

Thanks!

No, Blue Moon is a Mexican on Palisade Av. Not for you. This is Moon Street, an American cafe-type around the corner on Dean Street. (I think I said Engle before) (Not thinking) I'm sending a link to the website-- I've spent 2-2 1/2 hours in there at times. Menu has something for everyone-- finger food, sandwiches, burgers, main courses, salads. I think it's in the ballpark of what you are looking for. Check this out: Moon Street Website

Wondee's has definitely never rushed me out the door, although perhaps in part its because they recognize me.

Bangkok Garden is fine. The fact that Wondee's may be better, doesn't make them "not good". Quite the reverse. I'm guessing that with a blind friend the "ambience" angle is limited to how the place sounds and smells. :smile: I will say that I HAVE been rushed out the door at Bangkok Garden on a Saturday, although they were nice enough about it.

If an informal (read "crappy looking") environment makes no difference, and its just being left alone and reasonably good food you care about, then the old stand-by of Korean may work, unless you are sick of it. Obviously BBQ would be a bit harder for a blind person, but something like that dumpling place in the Hahn Ah Reum shopping center does a lot of other stuff without big fires, and its never packed, although it gets consistent business. And the Koreans EXPECT you to sit there and talk for an extra hour, at least until you start waving at them for the check. The downside is all of those little bowls. How would a blind person manage?

Italian restaurants tend to apply subtle pressure for you to get out. I can't think of one, off-hand, which is worth it which wouldn't.

Kebabs? Greek food? Or Lebanese? They are nice enough at Bennies. And its very much "finger food" if you get the right thing. Parking is tough, though.

Kinara--Indian food in Edgewater--is a bit further, but if you sit in the quiet upstairs dining room (as opposed to the noisy downstairs one), I'll bet they'd let you stay for as long as you want. I'm guessing that "quiet" is a nice bonus when you eat if you can't hear. Also, craploads of handicap parking in that lot, and the stairs in the place don't come into play if you enter through the upper entrance.

Pubby food? There are better authorities on that here. But they are all noisy, even if they don't rush you.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Anybody have thoughts about how Napa Valley Grille might work given my circumstances? (i suppose Legal Seafood is an option as well, but don't know if it's a seafood eating group) Can't seem to find a menu for NVG online, anybody know of a website? How's the food?

I'm thinking that a place like this might only really have one turn of tables on a Saturday nite, so if we we ate at about 7:30 or 8:00pm, we might be good as far as not being rushed out after dinner. I've never been there, so am i Right or Wrong?

Appreciate all the suggestions so far, and hopefully they'll keep coming! (i haven't ruled out any of the recommendations so far, just trying to come up with the best plan, so i'm posting things as i think of them)

there is a new restaurant christisna's on cedar lane near palisade avenue-

i have not been there but it may be a good place to try out.

joanne

Haven't heard of this place. When did they open? Any other info?

the restaurant is at 368 cedar lane

201-287-0412

i think it opened about 2 weeks ago

joanne

Anybody have thoughts about how Napa Valley Grille might work given my circumstances? (i suppose Legal Seafood is an option as well, but don't know if it's a seafood eating group)  Can't seem to find a menu for NVG online, anybody know of a website?  How's the food? 

I'm thinking that a place like this might only really have one turn of tables on a Saturday nite, so if we we ate at about 7:30 or 8:00pm, we might be good as far as not being rushed out after dinner.  I've never been there, so am i Right or Wrong?

Appreciate all the suggestions so far, and hopefully they'll keep coming! (i haven't ruled out any of the recommendations so far, just trying to come up with the best plan, so i'm posting things as i think of them)

Napa Valley Grille Website

No finger food, but a relatively quiet place, they won't rush you, probably the best of the mall restos in North Jersey; Stay away from Legal-- noisy, overpriced, and they will want you to GET OUT FAST.

Edited by menton1 (log)

Instead of Wondees, Bangkok Garden across the street, 1 block down, has a MUCH nicer ambience.  And I, unlike some others, think the food is very good there.

Like tommy & jhlurie said, it's not that we don't think the food at Bangkok Garden isn't "very good," it is. It's just that the food at Wondee's is better and a little less expensive. Both dining rooms are accessable, but the bathroom at Wondees is definitely not handicap accessable, whereas the one at BG's is, I'm pretty sure - call to check about steps.

I think the Napa Valley Grille serves good food and wine and agree that it is the best mall restaurant in that area. I have to say that the service is probably the worst in the area. Have been there twice. Most recent case was a month ago. We showed up at 3 p.m. and saw that both the brunch and dinner menu(s) were posted next to her station. We asked if they were serving brunch or dinner and she replied, " What do you think?." After swallowing my pride and remaining calm, we sat down for dinner. After dinner, I told the manager what she had said and he offered to pay for the wine. I declined. The first time we had a similar attitude problem from a waitperson. I wrote a letter and they offered us a $25.00 gift certificate, which was not necessary.

I did enjoy the food both times and the wine we had was excellent. In my opinion, they need to work on their customer service, however, since this is also a chain, I doubt they really need to.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

Mostly my wife's decision :raz:

Based upon the suggestions given already, my personal choice would probably for the Korean suggestion, but i'd go to The Lighthouse instead of the dumpling place, but the couple we're going with isn't that adventurous. I'm already preparing myself that any Asian ethnicity place gets met with the proverbial "we don't like that?, what's that like?, can't we go to some place normal?, etc, etc"

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow-up and thank everyone for their recommendations.

Unfortunately, this dinner outing was cancelled, so there won't be a report about where we ended up. (although right now it looks like it will be the wife and I at Saffron in Hoboken with a bottle of Alsace One (which has been sitting in my refrigerator for a few weeks, and after reading the positive reviews about this bottle at the China 46 dinner, i've been yearning to for an excuse to take it out and try it))

Edited by thereuare (log)