• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue cheese

torakris

I bought some blue cheese at costco a while ago, there were 8 (?) individually wrapped pieces, I had used 4 of them a while ago but when I opened up one today, it was A LOT greener then I remember the other ones being. and it was more green then blue and gray. I tasted it and it tasted Ok, but I was still worried about using it so I trashed it. The expiration date was 9/03.

So how do you tell when blue cheese goes bad?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I bought some blue cheese at costco a while ago, there were 8 (?) individually wrapped pieces, I had used 4 of them a while ago but when I opened up one today, it was A LOT greener then I remember the other ones being. and it was more green then blue and gray. I tasted it and it tasted Ok, but I was still worried about using it so I trashed it. The expiration date was 9/03.

So how do you tell when blue cheese goes bad?

i would go by taste and smell. if it looks strange in places, try cutting off the strange parts, perhaps. anyway, i'm pretty sure you won't be sick from a cheese that smells ok. (except for listeria/campylobactor etc).

the change in colour may be due to a too cold storing? i wish i had a special refridgerator for cheese, white wine, beer, butter, fruit, vegetables...)

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

Cheese - especially of the blue variety, it seems - past it's prime will sometimes start to smell of ammonia. That's when I usually chuck it. Does anyone know if that's really necessary? Is it still salvageable? Also - what am I supposed to do if it comes from the store smelling that way? Take it back?

Cheese - especially of the blue variety, it seems - past it's prime will sometimes start to smell of ammonia. That's when I usually chuck it. Does anyone know if that's really necessary? Is it still salvageable? Also - what am I supposed to do if it comes from the store smelling that way? Take it back?

ammonia is rather offensive perhaps but on cheese not necessarily a sure sign to throw cheese away. i never throw blue cheese away. it can be as funky as an athletic shoe full of vomit and i'm still going for it.

Most blue veined cheeses are past their prime when the white creamy sections have turned a nasty sort of yellow and/or it has developed a fungus that appears like fuzz covering the cheese.

The ammonia smell is sign that a cheese is headed for disaster. I mainly find it as a better indicator of decline in quality in runny cheeses such as brie, camembert, St. Andre, taleggio, and epoisses.

Most blue veined cheeses are past their prime when the white creamy sections have turned a nasty sort of yellow and/or it has developed a fungus that appears like fuzz covering the cheese.

The ammonia smell is sign that a cheese is headed for disaster.  I mainly find it as a better indicator of decline in quality in runny cheeses such as brie, camembert, St. Andre, taleggio, and epoisses.

I like ammonia reeking cheeses. I like red fuzz on white. I don't serve it. I love stinky cheese....but don't expect the rest of my customer base to come along with me in that pursuit.

I like stinky cheese as well, and cheeses like taleggio and epoisses whould stink to high heaven. They just shouldn't stink of ammonia. Cheese is a living breathing organism. The ammonia smell is an indication it has spent too much time suffocating in plastic wrap, a major cheese no-no.

I never throw blue cheese away.  it can be as funky as an athletic shoe full of vomit and i'm still going for it.

I hereby nominate this post for Grossly Evocative Simile of the Month.

Fortunately, this month's almost fini.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

There was no smell at all and it did taste normal but the part that bothered me was that this particular cheese normally has a creamy white rind and this time it was covered with a green moss type of thing.

Is that OK?

I had 3 kids under the age of 7 who were going to eat it (they LOVE blue cheese! :biggrin: ), so I decided to play it safe.

Green mold is actually a very good thing when talking about "blue" cheese. It indicates that the cheese is fresh. Green turns to blue as it ages. I do not know of any cheese molds that will make you or your children sick, and I must add that that I appreciate the fact that your children are "blue" lovers. My first experience with blue cheese was with Roquefort, which my parents fed to me for fun while in my high-chair (it is my first memory) and I have been hooked ever since. I sell 700 cheeses for a living, and still find that Roquefort and other blues are my favorites.

So basically the idea I am getting is to go by smell rather than appearance?

Another stupid question:

does blue cheese (or even other cheeses) continue to mold (in a good way) after packaging?