• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crackers

dave88

For snacking on by themselves, I like Club or Waverly. For topping with just about anything, I prefer Ritz.

For pairing with cheese: Bath Oliver biscuits or their miniature "cousins," Nevah Betta crackers.

For satisfying a salt/crunch jones: Original Wheat Thins, Triscuits, Seasoned Ry-Krisps.

• 4 years later...

Bumping this up, I bought some Ritz Snowflake crackers today. Why don't they make these all year long? The "indents" formed by the snowflake pattern make for a far superior Ritz, and one that can be easily broken into little triangles without the mess of crumbs.

The other cracker that I've been enamoured of is Triscuit Thin Crisps. IMHO, they don't go stale nearly as fast, and , well, they are thin, crispy and triangular!

I'm discovering that the shape and die imprints do make a difference.

BTW, crushed crackers can sub for croutons (moment of desperation).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Not QUIIIIITE technically a cracker, but we've become addicted to a melba-style crispy thing from Sam's--the bag merely says "New York Style" on the banner, and "sea salt bagel chips" below on the big green bag..

They're the butteriest, crispest little rounds, without that great hardness associated with "bought" Melba toast. They're good with anything---we just had a handful last night with sticks from the big old hunka orangey hoop cheese, some little rolls of good dry salami, and our pre-dinner drinks.

Tonight, they will circle the bowl of cold crab/scallion dip and a dish of paminna cheese.

I also found that they will "hold up" under a piping flourish of salmon cream cheese or anchovy butter, and we DO crush a quick handful over a salad.

That's enough---we like them. Leaving this infomercial now before I start waving my hands like Vanna White.

Not QUIIIIITE technically a cracker, but we've become addicted to a melba-style crispy thing from Sam's--the bag merely says "New York Style" on the banner, and "sea salt bagel chips" below on the big green bag..

They're the butteriest, crispest little rounds, without that great hardness associated with "bought" Melba toast.   They're good with anything---we just had a handful last night with sticks from the big old hunka orangey hoop cheese, some little rolls of good dry salami, and our pre-dinner drinks.

Tonight, they will circle the bowl of cold crab/scallion dip and a dish of paminna cheese.

I also found that they will "hold up" under a piping flourish of salmon cream cheese or anchovy butter, and we DO crush a quick handful over a salad. 

That's enough---we like them.   Leaving this infomercial now before I start waving my hands like Vanna White.

Oh yes! Those are the greatest. I used to make my own bagle chips until I discovered them, quite by accident - another shopper tossed a bag into my basket, thinking it was hers, and we had a short discussion about them. She tried them when Sam's had a demo of those and several other snackers and became instantly addicted.

I apportion them into Zip-Loc bags so I won't consume too many at one sitting.

I top them with Trader Joe's roasted red pepper spread and various tapenades, but the red pepper spread is my favorite topping, with or without cream cheese or my usual, the Greek style yogurt whipped until soft and spreadable.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Cracked pepper water crackers. I prefer a fairly neutral tasting base for my cheese to await it's doom upon. However the other day i placed a chunk of boursin on a slice of brie instead of a cracker and it was amazing..

By the way, why are they called water crackers?

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

• 12 years later...

"Ritz Is Giving Away 10-Inch Crackers That Are The Size Of A Platter"

...Ritz is giving out massive crackers that will make your cheese boards even more of a showstopper.

...The brand...made 10-inch crackers that are so big that they can be used as the [Charcuterie] platter for your spread rather than just an addition to it,

The limited-edition holiday party platter is also completely edible...

This giant cracker-board is only an Instagram contest prize and currently can't be purchased.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver