• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Desperate Measures: Dessert Excess

Fat Guy

It's inappropriate.  Links are always acceptable when you have them, but in the case of a full recipe, I'd ask.  Do you have the date of the issue?  I'd even be willing to call the paper and ask for you.

A while ago on Pacific Northwest we were talking about this great rendition of Szechuan dry-fried green beans at a Seattle restaurant, and Blue Heron got permission to reprint the recipe from a book.  Publishers are usually pretty good about this because it promotes the book;  in the case of a newspaper I don't know what they'll say, but we could find out.

mamster, is there any way you can put the recipe into your own words so we could put it in the archive?

It sounds like a winner :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

It's inappropriate.  Links are always acceptable when you have them, but in the case of a full recipe, I'd ask.  Do you have the date of the issue?  I'd even be willing to call the paper and ask for you.

A while ago on Pacific Northwest we were talking about this great rendition of Szechuan dry-fried green beans at a Seattle restaurant, and Blue Heron got permission to reprint the recipe from a book.  Publishers are usually pretty good about this because it promotes the book;  in the case of a newspaper I don't know what they'll say, but we could find out.

My guess is if it is printied in the newspaper (with permission) from Thomas Haas it's already available to the public. However, it probably is better to ask. The date was February 26, 2003 issue - Mia Stainsby.

I signed up on the LA Times site and printed the recipe. I'm adding the changes posted by capers as well as the recipe notes from Mamster. The recipe in the LA Times doesn't call for salt along with the ground almonds. How much salt should be added?

After I finish this, is in appropriate for me to email it to anyone who wants it?

Lauren

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I'll make sure the recipe gets into the archive one way or another.

then my job is done :rolleyes:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I signed up on the LA Times site and printed the recipe. I'm adding the changes posted by capers as well as the recipe notes from Mamster. The recipe in the LA Times doesn't call for salt along with the ground almonds. How much salt should be added?

After I finish this, is in appropriate for me to email it to anyone who wants it?

Lauren

E-mail is not a problem at all.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Oh, sorry about that. The recipe calls for a pinch of salt.

Edited by capers (log)

This recipe does sound amazing ---The article was great too mamster :smile:-- I copied it into word (the recipe), added the updates, and printed it out. Will try it as soon as I get a chance.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Regarding Jacques Torres' Chocolate Stove dessert: The actual dessert in the oven is a very nice piece of Opera Cake (Almond Cake, Dark Chocolate Ganache, French Coffee Buttercream). The squares of the floor and the pots are filled with raspberry and mango sauces. The stoves are created by molding a chocolate rectangular box in plastic. The chimneys are poured white chocolate cut in sheets. The pots are chocolate cups. The stoves are individually assembled, handles on the pots, and handle on the oven door. It is actually a pretty nice dessert although I am fairly certain it ends up as a complete waste of good chocolate. But the presentation is part of the ambience of Le Cirque. Sort of over the top and special - showy.

The Haas desserts reflect a different school of thought.

I was using the chocolate stove more as a symbol than a genuine example of something bad, which I'm sure it's not.

Update: I'm playing phone tag with the reporter from the Vancouver Sun (I'd already called her before it occurred to me to just call Haas instead). So the recipe is still coming soon to the archive.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I made these this weekend for a b-day party. They turned out fabulous! I was so very impressed with myself...even if the recipe is pretty simple. I left some sitting on the counter for Katie and shortly thereafter recieved a phone call from her that could have been misconstrued as lewd or suggestive.

They are such a great chocolate fix. They contain a lot of chocolate, but it is lightened with the highly beaten eggs. This recipe truly is a winner and will make it into full time rotation.

thanks!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

• 1 year later...
Name a pastry chef besides Claudia Fleming, Jacques Torres, or Pierre Herme.

Paul Lemieux

swoon

and right here in puddletown.

regards,

trillium

...and gale gand. and francois payard. and lee napoli is famous in boston.

johnny luzzini of jean georges....read that he was named Crown Prince of pastry by new york magazine last year.