• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Desperate Measures: Dessert Excess

Fat Guy

Mamster eats a lot of dessert.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I want to see the stove! Is there something wrong with the link? I get a blank page.

(p.s. nice article mamster)

(p.p.s mamster, do you prefer mamster or Mamster?)

edit: nouns are cool.

Edited by col klink (log)

I didn't make the chocolate stove link, although I have seen a picture of it. Not to be macabre, I think when foodies commit suicide, they stick their heads in the oven of the chocolate stove and suck down a fatal quantity of gaseous chocolate.

Mamster, mamster, Mr. Mamster, master, whatever.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

The link works for me, but I think the LAT may require free registration like the NYT does.  If that's a big problem for people I can put it in my own words and add it to the article.

Or just post it in the archive and link it in the article. Even better! :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Mamster, mamster, Mr. Mamster, master, whatever.

Not ma'amster? :wink:

If you get married will she be madamster? :laugh:

I think not. (Also, I think I am the only person who never calls Matthew "mamster"--lots of his friends do--because I refuse to call my husband by his username.) He baked a batch of Sparkle Cookies and they were delicious. (He also brought home a little bag of four Sparkle Cookies from Senses. I ate three. It's great being married to mamster.)

Hungry Monkey May 2009

The chocolate stove link is fixed. The LA Times link is Mamster's problem. But he tells me he's willing to register each of you personally.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

[Have any of you made the sparkle cookies yet?

Ben]

I can see I'll have to do a fair amount of reading to figure out how to post a reply as everyone here does.

I have made the Chocolate Sparkle cookies a number of times and they have become my all time favorite. Since the recipe was posted in the LA Times, Thomas Haas has made a few changes to the recipe and the updated recipe was posted in the Vancouver Sun. I have both recipes but am not sure if it would be okay to post them here. Perhaps someone could clue me in. :smile:

Edited by capers (log)

It's a good thing this ended up in Cooking, not in Pastry, because then I would have asked a bunch of pastry chefs to name a bunch of pastry chefs, and sooner or later someone would be beaten with a whisk.

capers, can you summarize the changes in the Vancouver Sun version of the recipe?

Wayne Harley Brachman too.

:wub: I love Wayne Harley Brachman. What a career!

Edit: Meant to add that I loved your first line, mamster, and the rest of the article too.

He he he, he seems like a fun guy. I did want to throttle him though when he was on Melting Pot. I think the soul patch pushed me over the edge.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

capers, can you summarize the changes in the Vancouver Sun version of the recipe?

I'm enjoying your articles!

He added 1 Tb. honey (he uses Blackberry honey but says others will work just as well) along with the sugar and added 2 tsp. cocoa powder (here he used Valrhona) to the salt & ground almonds.

Also he suggested using Valrhona bittersweet chocolate, Scharfenberger or Cacao Barry.

When I make these I level off the scoop so they end up being 1/2 the size of his cookies. I roll them into balls and freeze. Before baking I roll them in the granulated sugar and add a bit extra gran. sugar on top and bake for 8 - 9 min. in a convection oven - I like the crunch and wasn't left with icing sugar on my mouth.

So there you have it. Now can you tell me about posting a recipe from a newspaper? Is this inappropriate here? Thanks.

It's inappropriate. Links are always acceptable when you have them, but in the case of a full recipe, I'd ask. Do you have the date of the issue? I'd even be willing to call the paper and ask for you.

A while ago on Pacific Northwest we were talking about this great rendition of Szechuan dry-fried green beans at a Seattle restaurant, and Blue Heron got permission to reprint the recipe from a book. Publishers are usually pretty good about this because it promotes the book; in the case of a newspaper I don't know what they'll say, but we could find out.