• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All about the 'cue

mrbigjas

OK folks, here's a quick shot for you. This is about a pound and a quarter of fat (brisket) and a sausage, from Kreuz's Market in Lockhart, TX. I ate part of it, I brought part of it home. Other recommendations from the area: Railhead BBQ in Fort Worth for cowboy/biker bbq, Cuquita's in Dallas for mexican, Jefferson St. Cafe in Kerrville for ... uh, the only decent restaurant around there, Club deVille for drinks (but not for food) in Austin. God I love that state.kreuz.jpg

Dude - you're killing me! Holly's right! Didn't you ever get your chewing gum stuck on the end of your nose 'cuz you didn't bring enough for everyone? :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Ya did good lad.  But next time bring home some for the rest of us.

I actually did bring some home for a friend of mine. Next time (there's always a next time with family in the area) I'll bring back more.

Also, I should mention that it is available online at http://www.kreuzmarket.com -- for the same price as it is at the actual place: $8.90/lb. However, 2-day shipping and materials will run you $48 for up to 16 lbs. Yes, $48.

I actually did bring some home for a friend of mine. Next time (there's always a next time with family in the area) I'll bring back more.

Also, I should mention that it is available online at http://www.kreuzmarket.com -- for the same price as it is at the actual place: $8.90/lb. However, 2-day shipping and materials will run you $48 for up to 16 lbs. Yes, $48.

Cheaper than a plane ticket!

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

The next time you go to Kreuz's Market, order the prime rib, it's out of this world and it won't be dry since it's served medium rare. I've orderd the pork chops before and the first one was magnificent since it still had some fat on it but the next time it came out pretty dry. Sometimes the brisket is dry too but more often than not, it's perfect, just like their links.

Totally sweet, last time I checked (a couple of years ago), they hadn't made it online yet and they didn't even sell their dry rub on site.

While I was down in Austin, Kreuz's was certainly my favorite 'que joint but you have to be careful when you go there because you can't do anything for the rest of the day. :raz:

Meat comas are great!

Frankly, I visit Lockhart 'bout once every couple months, and the last few times I've been to Kreuz, I've been VERY disappointed. The brisket was not worth eating, and I'm not kidding. I came home and chopped it up and then whipped it around with some sauce in the food processor before it was edible.

That was about a month ago.

I don't know what's happened, but I'd suggest you check out Black's in Lockhart. They also ship. I'd post a link if I'd learned how, even though I did get very kind lessons awhile back. Turns out I'm a stupid student.

And by the way, if you do order from Kreuz and it's dry and tough and even kinda "spongy" - please don't think that's what Texas 'cue is supposed to taste like.

Actually, one of our eGulleteers LIVES in Lockhart. Jess, Hon, where are ya on this one? What's the skinny on the Temples of 'Cue these days?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That's so sad but not surprising because the last time I was there (3 1/2 years ago) and the brisket was inedible. When I make it back to Austin I've always told myself I'd hit Black's. It's sad the family couldn't get along. :sad:

However, the brisket in the picture looks like it had enough fat to edible and tasty though the pink ring looks odd. When I smoke my brisket I get a nice ring all over:

fcc53292.jpg

...though the pink ring looks odd.

"odd" is exactly the word that kept coming to mind last time I was sitting at Kreuz trying to chew my way through that brisket.

It WAS "odd" - kind of spongy, even. I kept looking at it to see if perhaps they had cut my portion WITH the grain rather than against it, but that wasn't the problem.

It was just weird. Dry and tough and chewy with a very weird, odd texture.

Beats me.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

...though the pink ring looks odd.

"odd" is exactly the word that kept coming to mind last time I was sitting at Kreuz trying to chew my way through that brisket.

It WAS "odd" - kind of spongy, even. I kept looking at it to see if perhaps they had cut my portion WITH the grain rather than against it, but that wasn't the problem.

It was just weird. Dry and tough and chewy with a very weird, odd texture.

Beats me.

That's weird. This tasted good, and had the right texture overall, although it strikes me that it wasn't quite as tender as the first few times I went there, before they moved. I thought that last time as well, which was the first time I went to this new place.

I keep meaning to try Black's, but a tradition is a tradition and we keep going back to Kreuz's.

It was certainly less smoky than the brisket I had at the Railhead in Ft. Worth, which had me burping campfire flavor the whole rest of the night. I don't like things THAT smoked.

However, this is all very intriguing. Perhaps several more days down there in the near future are in order, to do some more testing.

We've just left Caldwell County for schools with textbooks mentioning all 50 states, but I can tell you this some authority: Kreuz has the best prime, Smitty's the best chops, and either can be hit or miss on the fatty and the lean, but as reliable as the sun on their hot and cold rings. I mentioned on the Austin thread that Nina Sells' boy made the cover of Texas Monthly, which should provoke quick tempers for days among the Sells/Kreuz families.