• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Grill-Mon. 4/21

Rosie

Our very own Chef Lou Reda of An American Grill, 246 Route 10 W, Randolph (973-442-9311) will be participating in the Dine Out for Hunger program on this Mon. 4/21. He will be donating 20% of the evenings proceeds to the FoodBank.

Lowell and I will be dining at An American Grill around 6:30 on Monday evening. Please join us. If you can make it call Lou and tell him to add your name to the list and we will have an eGullet table. Also let us know here. I hope you will be able to support this worthwhile charity event.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We were in food heaven last night at An American Grill, 246 Rt 10, Randolph. Chef Lou Reda never fails to please. We started off with bruschetta with tomatoes that were so juicy and tasty that I asked Chef Lou where he got them. Stated off with portabella mushroom topped with goat cheese served with a bacon and balsamic vinegar demi-glace; and a creamy Cajun chicken and corn chowder. The kitchen sent out a baby red romaine and baby beet salad with Italian double creamy blue cheese and caramelized pearl onions in a blood orange-citrus vinaigrette and a don't miss spicy Tequila infused gazpacho topped with crème fraiche and a grilled shrimp. As you can imagine by this time the three of us were full. We managed tastes of our entrees and will enjoy them for dinner tonight. Had a pappardelle with veal sausage served with arugula and opal basil in a plum tomato garlic and veal sausage ragout; fabulous chicken breast stuffed with truffle sausage, gorgonzola cheese and spinach served in a Madeira wine reduction; and chicken with shiitake mushrooms and capers in a Dijon mustard and white wine sauce. Yes, for some reason we managed to down apple strudel with ice cream for dessert. Also, enjoyed a Tasman Bay Sauvignon Blanc. Phone: 973-442-9311. Thanks Chef Lou for participating in the Dine Out For Hunger program.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie

Does An American Grill allow patrons to BYO and charge a corkage?

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Rosie

Viejo,

Of course I would allow you to bring your own wine. My corking charge is $20. I would be honored to serve your wine to enjoy our cusine and if you call ahead I'd like to have proper glasswear ready for you. I would love another crack at you as a customer as I understand you weren't "overwelmed" on your 1st visit. :wink:

Best wishes, Lou

lou, as an owner who offers corkage, do you have any expectations as to what type of wine someone might bring? i mean, i'm sure you offer some sort of zin for 25 or 30 bucks. if a patron brought in the same bottle (which he or she could buy at a wine shop for 8 or 10 bucks) would you be offended? i realize that this would be in poor form, but i'm just wondering as i've heard people suggest that they'd bring something that is clearly offered on the list to a restaurant. clearly, i'd only bring something special (which this member thinks is "special," but other well-dined, well-traveled members might find pedestrian - not that a member has to have knowledge of wine that surpasses or even matches that of other members who may be more well traveled, not that anything is wrong with either member to this member, but might be expected if a member chooses to bring a bottle to an establishment that under normal circumstances offers equivalent - not necessarily price-wise but perhaps :wacko::hmmm::wacko::hmmm: )....? :blink:

Tommy--I know you would never do anything to offend.  :biggrin: What would you consider a special wine to bring to a NJ restaurant?

well, in my mind, something that doesn't have an equivalent offered on the menu. that goes for any restaurant, and not just NJ restaurants. i find, however, that restaurants with piss-poor wines offered are those that have no idea that BYO'ing should be acceptable. it's a shame, really, as i often want to go to these places to enjoy the food, and some decent wine, but their lack of education gets in the way.

so many restaurants offer 7 different chardonnays, a crappy pinot grigio, 5 merlots from CA, and 2 cabs from CA. so unnecessary, and so sad. they might as well offer "red or white."

Tommy--I know you would never do anything to offend. :biggrin: What would you consider a special wine to bring to a NJ restaurant?

well, in my mind, something that doesn't have an equivalent offered on the menu. that goes for any restaurant, and not just NJ restaurants. i find, however, that restaurants with piss-poor wines offered are those that have no idea that BYO'ing should be acceptable. it's a shame, really, as i often want to go to these places to enjoy the food, and some decent wine, but their lack of education gets in the way.

so many restaurants offer 7 different chardonnays, a crappy pinot grigio, 5 merlots from CA, and 2 cabs from CA. so unnecessary, and so sad. they might as well offer "red or white."

the wine list at An American Grill is excellent, and based on my two visits, reasonably priced.

Tommy's point about crappy wine lists is a good one. The guest should always have the last say on which wine is the "best" for a meal, whether it is brought in or purchased there. I'm sure many chefs would agree, if only in theory

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

We might want to start another topic if this continues.  However, there are so many BYO's in NJ where I can bring my Turley's that I wouldn't consider BYOing to a restaurant with a liquor license.

this could be a new thread.

i can name several places that have decent enough food, but horrible wine lists. but, i'd bring your turley to just about anyplace, rosie. :biggrin:

QUOTE (viejo majadero @ Apr 22 2003, 11:18 AM)

Rosie

Viejo,

Of course I would allow you to bring your own wine. My corking charge is $20. I would be honored to serve your wine to enjoy our cusine and if you call ahead I'd like to have proper glasswear ready for you. I would love another crack at you as a customer as I understand you weren't "overwelmed" on your 1st visit. wink.gif

Best wishes, Lou

Lou

You made me smile all day with your "overwhelmed" comment. Smiling ruins my reputation as "majadero". When I show my wife she will be hysterical. Obviously you follow other forums as well. I also suspect you are "Lupo". Tell the truth!!!

That said, I am game. I will try to put together a dinner night with some friends. I will post here wine choices for you to pick from. You can share also.

I will make sure you are aware of what is happening. I usually bring my own glasses, but we can discuss that at another time.

I also would like to say that I like your spunk. Don't know you personnaly, obviously, but you have my attention and respect.

Now if I can only wipe the grin of my face so I do not scare people that know me.

Viejo Majadero

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Viejo, as, much as I would like to take credit for being Lupo, I am not, but I do have many friends and supporters. I actually found it humorous what followed. In the past I have responded to critics of my restaurant on egullet but for the other forums, I lurk and don't have much respect for the opinions posted anywhere you can hide anonomously (sic). I look forward to meeting you and let me know how I can make your dining experience pleasurable.

Lou

Viejo, as, much as I would like to take credit for being Lupo, I am not, but I do have many friends and supporters. I actually found it humorous what followed. In the past I have responded to critics of my restaurant on egullet but for the other forums, I lurk and don't have much respect for the opinions posted anywhere you can hide anonomously (sic). I look forward to meeting you and let me know how I can make your dining experience pleasurable.

Lou

you and your fucking high-road. you have no place on egullet. :angry::biggrin:

Now to continue the topic of corkage fees in restaurants. I got home last night shortly after midnight and wrote a whole speech on this and as soon as I was ready to post got disconnected and lost the post. At this point I finished my wine and smoked my smoke and went to bed to start another day.

Tommy, I charge a corking fee only because sometimes customer bring a inexpensive bottle with them that I either have a equivilant of and don't want to insult them. The corking fee varies between $10-$20 depending on glasswear I have to use. Let's take into consideration also, the Reidel, the possible breakage, the washing, the price of a liquor license in Morris Co ( Between $250G-$400G) and the insurance on the license. In addition, it's unfortunate but people don't tip the servers on the wine they bring from the outside. Also the economy is not in great shape and we need our customers so I bend over backwards to accomidate. Also as Rail Paul states my list is very reasonable, I sell wines for less because I want people to pair wines with my cusine.

Example: Table of 6 calls ahead and asks to bring two bottles of Turley. I know that if they are only bringing two bottles with them chances are, they'll have cocktails at the bar and perhaps a bottle or two of white off the list at the table. I make my money, customer is happy, they get to enjoy a wine from their cellar at home without shoddy glasses and poor wine service and hopefully I get a customer for life.

Lou

"Example: Table of 6 calls ahead and asks to bring two bottles of Turley. I know that if they are only bringing two bottles with them chances are, they'll have cocktails at the bar and perhaps a bottle or two of white off the list at the table. I make my money, customer is happy, they get to enjoy a wine from their cellar at home without shoddy glasses and poor wine service and hopefully I get a customer for life."

Well I certainly hope they send you a glass of wine also!

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Lou

you and your fucking high-road. you have no place on egullet. :angry::biggrin:

Tommy, when I get home I spout about the assholes of the world. Unfortunately the high road is the only road to take when in the public eye but being you've still not set foot in The Grill I don't look at you as a customer.

So go fuck yourself!!!! :laugh:

Geez, was a joke. I hoped to get a little laughter out of this with Tommy. Guess that's why I always take the high road. My sense of humor doesn't always come off well when written.

Hope no one took offense.

Lou

Geez, was a joke. I hoped to get a little laughter out of this with Tommy. Guess that's why I always take the high road. My sense of humor doesn't always come off well when written.

Hope no one took offense.

Lou

Wellllllll---we all know how sensitive Tommy is! :rolleyes:

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We started off with bruschetta with tomatoes that were so juicy and tasty that I asked Chef Lou where he got them.

So...Rosie!! Where did he get them? I've been jonesing for some awesome tomatoes!! I am so tired of the wintertime plastic variety.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Ok Chef Lou

1984 Ridge Monte Bello

1994 Joseph Phelps Insignia

Silver Oak - Alexander Valley

Silver Oak - Napa

Viejo

If my friend will provide me a list I will inform you also.