• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cottage Cheese

snowangel

A couple of my kids love cottage cheese. Peter likes it best straight out of the carton, in front of the fridge with the door wide open.

Last night, he used it with pear halves to make a cute little bunny salad from the 1957 Betty Crocker Boys and Girls cookbook (purchased for me the day I was born).

It also makes an interesting (in a good way :biggrin: ) addition to scrambled eggs in lieu of milk, if one is on the eggs with dairy for scrambled eggs way of thinking.

I always buy large curd with the highest fat content.

What do you do with cottage cheese?

And, a question. In a couple of places, I've read that "they" recommend that you store cottage cheese in the containers upside down in the fridge for "optimal freshness." Why? Since I'm lucky if Peter can get the spoon out of the container and the lid back on, I've never gone this route.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

A couple of my kids love cottage cheese.  Peter likes it best straight out of the carton, in front of the fridge with the door wide open.

Last night, he used it with pear halves to make a cute little bunny salad from the 1957 Betty Crocker Boys and Girls cookbook (purchased for me the day I was born).

It also makes an interesting (in a good way  :biggrin: ) addition to scrambled eggs in lieu of milk, if one is on the eggs with dairy for scrambled eggs way of thinking.

I always buy large curd with the highest fat content.

What do you do with cottage cheese?

And, a question.  In a couple of places, I've read that "they" recommend that you store cottage cheese in the containers upside down in the fridge for  "optimal freshness."  Why?  Since I'm lucky if Peter can get the spoon out of the container and the lid back on, I've never gone this route.

I like cottage cheese, but like your son, I like it straight, although I usually manage to make it to the table. Lazagna recipes always seem to call for cottage cheese, and I always leave it out. I don't know why. Kinda like the same way I'll eat coleslaw, but not cooked cabbage. I also tend to like the smaller curd variety :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I make it to the table, AND I usually put it in a dish. :raz: But plain, accompanied by Finn Crisp, some other flatbread, or even just saltines. Or mixed into eggs before cooking. Just can't get interested in eating it with fruit, although I used to love it with chives.

I think the upside-down thing has to do with the whey that leaches out and collects on top. If the container is inverted, then when you set it upright to open, all that liquid is now on the bottom.

Then again, it could be something about less exposure to air.

:blush: I admit to consuming fat-free. :blink: Hey, it keeps very well, and sometimes the container gets buried in the fridge. :rolleyes:

I like my cottage cheese of the low fat variety, small curd and mixed with a little (low fat) sour cream too, just the way my grandma used to eat it. A little salt and pepper and I'm a happy girl until the bowl is empty. Delicious with some fresh berries or sliced peaches tossed in too, if I'm feeling so inclined.

I also mix cottage cheese into matzoh meal latkes and then eat them with cinnamon sugar. A good snack during Passover, if I'm feeling observant that year. I'm not this year... :rolleyes:

Cottage cheese also makes a good substitute for higher fat alternatives like cream cheese or sour cream in dips. Just whirl it through the food processor with the other ingredients and you can make lower fat versions for snacking and parties.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I like cottage cheese with pink grapefruit, has that creamy/tart thing going on...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I like my cottage cheese of the low fat variety, small curd and mixed with a little (low fat) sour cream too, just the way my grandma used to eat it.

I like it that way, too. Sometimes I toss it on buttered wide noodles with a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar and sometimes I toss it on hot buttered pasta with a sprinkling of parmesan. My favorite is Breakstone 2% low fat, small curd.

Tonight I'm going to make a matzo kugel:

Mix one 16 oz container of cottage cheese with 3 eggs and sugar (1/2 - 3/4 C). Layer between matzo boards that have been softened under hot water, dot with butter and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. While still hot, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. An 8 or 9 inch square pan is the perfect size for about 5 or 6 matzos.

I'm in the small curd, high fat camp. The large curd squeeks in my teeth. I love it with salt and fresh ground black pepper, or with peaches or pineapple.

It also is an ingredient in Dill Bread, which my whole family loves. I think i'll make some for Easter Dinner....

Stop Family Violence

breakfast(but that's another link) for me usually is low fat, small curd cottage cheese with fruit in season.

if i'm making lasagna i also let the cottage cheese drip through a coffee filter and it becomes thicker - then mix it with minced garlic and chopped flat leaf parsley and some torn basil. use instead of ricotta

course husband's grandmother (born in germany 1902) always refers to it as "college cheese" :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I grew up with a mother who hated cottage cheese (and yogurt for that matter) thus I didn't have my first taste until college. and have never really acquired a taste for it.

I do you like it my cottage cheese-dill bread though. Need to find that recipe again.......

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"