• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: A Man & His Microwave

Fat Guy

Well, I guess this goes in the cooking forum . . .

Don't try this at home.

Also note "After-School Special" is our nifty new name for Dave's column.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I enjoyed this article! It reminded me of the Twinkie Project -- Rice University students subjected poor, innocent Twinkies to a variety of experiments to demonstrate various scientific principles.

One of the experiments involved microwaving a Twinkie on High for 10 minutes, "to test the reaction of a Twinkie to extreme radiation."

Surprise-surprise: the Twinkie exploded.

Conclusion: "Microwaving a Twinkie is a bad idea." Ya think?

http://www.twinkiesproject.com

Prof Kurti used to demonstrate:

Inside-out toast: Microwave a thick (one inch or so) slice of bread.

Inside-out Omllette surprise: Inject runny jam sauce or fruit coulis into the middle of a block of very cold ice or sorbet.

Microwave, The jam adsobs the radiation preferably, so boiling sauce ( care) in an ice shell.

Do you know about exploding water?

You can heat water to above its boiling point in a microwave because the even heating doesn't create the eddies that allow gas bubbles to form. When you take it out though, the water is likely to boil suddenly and violently and shoot out of the cup.

Likewise if you add something like salt or instant coffee to the superheated water it will do the same thing...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

You can heat water to above its boiling point in a microwave because the even heating doesn't create the eddies that allow gas bubbles to form. When you take it out though, the water is likely to boil suddenly and violently and shoot out of the cup.

No mistakes?

You're getting good Dave. Loved the article.

The exploding water phenomenon has to do with nucleation sites. If there is no place for bubbles to form, then steam can't escape. As soon as you provide a nucleation site by adding salt, or even by jostling the liquid, all the steam energy excapes at once.

There are two reasons why microwaving is susceptible. First is the even heating, as g. alluded. When you heat water on the stove, convection provides nucleation sites in the temperature layers. The second is that you are more likely to use very smooth containers like ceramic coffee cups an glass measuring cups in the microwave. The surfaces of these containers don't provide nucleation sites. AB's solution addresses this directly.

Actual occurence is pretty rare. Even when it does happen, unless you've got your eyeballs right in the cup (Schielke!), the worst that will happen is a scalded hand.

All of this is why, early in the article, I mention in passing that heating water in your microwave is not a good idea. Another reason is that, although I haven't done any calculations, I suspect that using a dedicated kettle is probably cheaper.

Production note: I apologize for not having decent pictures of these things. Two reasons: these things happen very fast, and they're hard to capture; the camera wouldn't focus properly at first (it wanted to look at the grille on the door); the grille itself is black, and muddied the images beyond recognition. The photo at the top of the story is a collage using the fried CD as a background.

g.: any ideas on what's going on in the grape thing? An arc forms across the two halves. But why?

Edited to correct per Rachel's post, below.

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I am beginning to suspect that Dave might be a nerd of some sort. :unsure:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

g.: any ideas on what's going on in the grape thing? An arc forms across the two halves. But why?

I didn’t know but I did a google. This site* and this site give slightly different answers but the basic idea is the same**. The wavelength of microwave radiation is around 12cm. So your split grape at around 3cm is a perfect quarter wave antenna. This effectively concentrates the microwave’s electric field until it reaches several thousand volts, enough to ionize the air which causes the arcing.

*This site has a movie that is well worth watching.

**I think there are problems with the details of both explanations.

I mention in passing that heating water in your microwave is a good idea.

Did you mean not a good idea?

From the article:

Like Teflon, our last topic, microwave ovens are thought by many to be a product of the US space program.

Did I miss this? I can't find the article on Teflon. Link please.

I mention in passing that heating water in your microwave is a good idea.

Did you mean not a good idea?

Yes, you're right. I fixed it. Thanks.

From the article:
Like Teflon, our last topic, microwave ovens are thought by many to be a product of the US space program.

Did I miss this? I can't find the article on Teflon. Link please.

Teflon article here: ribbit

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Dave on Teflon.

I think the grape thing may be related to what happens with the Flaming Orange Gully.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Never owned a microwave - never will. I can't determine the purpose of this device.

Does anyone know anything they're good for?

I can think of better kitchen uses for an old pair of sneakers than a microwave. At least the sneakers get brown with time.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Never owned a microwave - never will. I can't determine the purpose of this device.

Does anyone know anything they're good for?

I can think of better kitchen uses for an old pair of sneakers than a microwave. At least the sneakers get brown with time.

Good for reheating leftovers W/O drying them out.

Cooking bacon for a quick BLT.

Quickly heating a single cup of water for tea.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

That's happened to me. Forgot about it.

I just got a microwave a couple of years ago (birthday present from boyfriend). I use it to reheat food (less dishes to clean), and melt butter or chocolate if necessary. It's also great for baked potatoes. Nuke them, then roast them on high heat to crisp up the skin. Crisp, fluffy baked potatoes in 10-15.

While I always get a raft of shit for saying it, I'll repeat my stand on the appliance we love to hate: you can cook serious food in the microwave.

I adapted Barbara Kafka's techniques and make polenta and risotto in mine all the time. Don't bother to tell me that cooking them this way can't compare with the traditional stovetop technique. I've cooked and eaten both, and I've served the microwave versions to knowledgeable chefs. You can't tell the difference if you do it right.

I also cook squash for use in other dishes, an occasional piece of fish, and the obvious things like potatoes.

The microwave is like any other kitchen tool. If you understand its limitations and strengths, you can use it to make good food.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I adapted Barbara Kafka's techniques and make polenta and risotto in mine all the time.

Jim! At last! Someone else who takes Barbara Kafka seriously on her microwave books.

The two recipes you mention work every time, and like you, I use them for preference now. The first time I tasted her microwave risotto I sent a prayer up for her. She freed up untold hours of my life. The results are first rate.

Eggplant. A few whirls in the micro speed cooking time. And gets rid of the extra water.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com