• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Corned Beef

col klink

Yo COl,

I havent eaten your sausages yet, wait, let me start over,  the sausages that you sent me (that look awesome) are still in my freezer.  I thought I would fry them up for my party on SAT.  How would you suggest cooking them and what would you serve them with...a bunch of diff mustards and french baquettes or what would you do?

With the sausage, and this isn't true of some of the other smoked meats that I've vacuumed sealed, heat them in the bag. Either in the microwave or in boiling water for a few minutes. This way the juices aren't loosened and actually stay with the sausage.

Then just slice 'em up in to 1/2" slices with an assortment of mustards and lots of toothpicks. A pound or two will easily service a party of 15 or more, just ask Nightscotsman. :wink:

If you have more in your party I would suggest thinner slices and asking them to "please remember that there's not a lot to go around and think about the other guests and just sample." :raz:

Stone, I smoked this batch of corned brisket with a mixture of maple and alder, but mostly maple. I'd say about 75%. Maple is my favorite wood to smoke with. It has a lot of flavor but doesn't overpower like mesquite and burns for a long time.

I just received my alotment. I'm playing basketball at 6:30 and hadn't planned on eating dinner, but it looks as if I might have to have a Klink sammich tonight.

On a funny note, one of our couriers brought me Klink's package from the mail room. This guy is vegan, so I made him wait and watch me open it. He turned a bit green when I explained to him what it was. It's so much fun to pick on a vegan! :wink::blink::raz:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint here in Raleigh, North Carolina, reporting on the Smoked Corn Beef craze taking the state by storm.

I received my package in the mail yesterday, and although I hadn't planned on eating dinner last night due to a 6:30 basketball game, I could not resist the calling of the meat. At 8:45, EST, I pulled out two slices of rye, some spicy polish mustard, and the "black brick o' meat." It was the Brisket of Klink. The first thin slice was all fat, totally black on the outside and pearly on the inside. I sucked, I tasted, I drooled. That was the best piece of fat I've eaten. The smoke flavor was clear and direct, an honest smoke, but not overwhelming. I promptly sliced another 12 super thin shavings of the beef, piling it high on the rye. Mrs. Varmint, who was watching Law and Order and does not eat any mammalian flesh, grimaced at the sight of my creation. As I began to eat MY sandwich, I quickly became very grateful that she does not eat beef. The meat was tender, streaked with fat and flavor. Salt was there, but it was not salty. And the smoke. Mmmmmmm. I ate a few more slices, impressed with the fat/flesh texture and flavor.

Klink, give up your job hunting. Stick with smoking.

When the alarm went off at 5:15, my first thought was not how sore I was from basketball, or the fact that my bladder was excessively full. Nope, I woke up thinking of KLINK BEEF. I managed to slap myself out of this delirium and showered, dressed, woke up the 4 L'il Varmints, and prepared their breakfast. I broke out the brick o' beef, and cut an ultra-thin slice for the Oldest L'il Varmint. He, too, was very pleased. I then cut up 6 somewhat thicker slices and threw them in a frying pan, slowly watching the fat melt off. Friends, what I ended up with was concentrated smoked corn beef, explosively flavorful. It needed potatoes, or eggs, or just a damn baguette.

Today, I'll have co-workers over for lunch. Klink, it may be time to get a second smoker to keep up with demand.

Signing off from Raleigh, North Cackalacky (but wanting more Klink Beef) . . . .

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

There are no words to describe this, but varmint did a good job. It was comparable to an artisan ham, but completely different. Unfortunately, my wife is a carnivore and I caught her sneaking some only 1/2 hour after it arrived.

I'll be the first investor in Klink's Smokin' Venture Capital Fund.

Varmint: you think his corned beef is good? Wait until his cold smoker is up and running and we start seeing slabs of BACON.

I got my 3 1/2 lb slab of brisket this morning (mine isnt corned, I had him smoke a plain brisket). Havent tasted it yet, but the last one was truly awesome.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've been pushing him on the bacon, and he laughed because he said you were doing the same thing.

How is Klink's smoked fish? I could do with a whole Copper River salmon.

Or lamb?

Or goat? Cabrito, anyone?

Damn, it's lunch time here on the east coast. Time for the 4 minute drive to Chez Varmint!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Fish is hard to do in my hot smoker, ask me again when the cold smoker is finished. I've only done one truly phenominal smoked salmon and I've been unable to duplicate since. You just don't get enough time in smoke with a hot smoker before it's cooked.

Lamb on the other hand, them there's good eatin'. Just ask Fat Guy. Shoot, even last night I smoked up some lamb. 3 1/2 hours and I pulled it at 135 for a perfect medium rare.

I'm also quite proud to say that I've also smoked goat and it was very well received. Every spring a buddy and I run a Solstice party for the summer solstice. Last year I started the smoker at 2 in the morning for two hog legs, a shoulder and 12 lb brisket. The year before that we smoked an entire goat, a wild boar roast (shoulder), a venison roast and a rabbit. Everything came out great except for the venison. It's such a dry meat and by the time we pulled it, we were all well into our cups.

My favorite moment was when we started pulling the goat. When we pulled the last front quarter we thought it was cleaned, but another buddy yelled out: "I found another pocket of meat! I FOUND ANOTHER POCKET!!!!"

When people were leaving, one person said "man, this is the most f*cked up bbq I've ever been to!"

Now I haven't tried cabrito yet but I have investigated it. Check out this old thread:

Raising goats for food, forget about mowing the lawn.

Not having smoked cabrito isn't a personal choice, it's just been a matter of finding it. It's been a while since I've smoked goat but I'd be happy to try it again.

Just . . . ate . . . Klink's . . . smoked . . . brisket . . . for . . . third . . . consecutive. . . meal.

Need . . . professional . . . help.

Had a grilled sammich for lunch on seeded rye with Emmantaler. Yumm.

I think I'll give my GI system a break for dinner tonight.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Need . . . professional . . . help.

Hi, I'm Xanthippe, and I'm a Klink'ssmokedmeata-holic . . .

This stuff is wicked, wicked good. Really, really, REALLY good. My first bite of the brisket "heel" was truly transporting.

SIGH . . . :wub:

Corned chicken is a dish I've been making for several years. I got the idea from John Ash, when he used to have his own show on Food Network. You soak the chicken in a viengar brine for two or three days (I think there's allspice, cloves, garlic etc. in it, hope I can find the recipe). I've always roasted the chicken but I think smoked would be better.

Edit: I found the recipe, no vinegar Here it is, I don't add the juniper because of my gin aversion.

Edited by guajolote (log)

Quajolote, yup, that's a brined chicken though a little saltier than the usual recommed recipe of 1 cup Kosher salt to 1 gallon of water. By all means, try smoking your chicken. It's hard to back to the oven after you've had it smoked. My standard brine recipe can be found here:

In the eGullet recipe archive.

Typically corning involves heavier salt solutions, heavy enough to float an egg.

When I first started brining chickens I used to put in as much extra flavors as possible, like garlic, tons of herbs, peppercorns and the like. Luckily the recipe you pointed to mentions brining for 4 days because you'll need at least that to get any other type of flavor besides salt in the meat. But I've found that you can get all of that extra flavor into the meat without putting them into the brine. Brine a whole bird for 24 hours, dry it and stuff the cavity with garlic, herbs and onions. Or make a paste of garlic and ginger and put it under the skin. You'll save a ton of money on herbs and spices and those flavors will be more distinct.

By the way, when you smoke your bird it will be harder to taste the herbs than if you roasted so don't be too dismayed the first time.

edit: grammar can be a harsh mistress.

Edited by col klink (log)