• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Corned Beef

col klink

Thanks Ben that's awlfully nice of you. Liza pm me your address and I can ship it out to you on Monday.

Stone - In short, no. This is just a hobby that I have and I do it as a courtesy to the great folks here at eGullet. I have a small successful track record of vacuuming and shipping meat to my friends and family. They were the first guinea pigs and that went gang busters. It went so well I thought I'd start offering it folks at large.

As a recipient of the kilbasa, I can ascertain that klINK IS THE REAL DEAL...he sends the sausage/product..you get it, he sends you the most polite of e-mails reminding you to pay...you send him anice fat check with tip...and forever. you get great Klink product! :laugh::laugh: Really, he'ss let you know the final cost, as it varies by destination...but my first exposure to his product left no doubts that this guy was for real!!!

Transcription of conversation in the Klink/Batgrrrl kitchen, March 7, 2003:

Batgrrrl: "Oh Jesus, we're eating fat. We're actually eating FAT."

Klink: "Yeah, I do that to people."

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

And they're off!

For you folks not in the Seattle area I mailed out your packages today. You will shortly be receiving a pm or email in regards to the final cost which came out to $8/lb. For you Seattle folks we can arrange a get together on the Pac NW boards. I'm thinking Friday at Salumi? If you need it before then you'll have to come by and pick it up yourself or I'm sure we can work something out.

Thanks so much to all of you! I started out with about 65 lbs of raw corned beef brisket and ended up with a little over 35 lbs of finished product. I have to admit that was the first time I ever weighed the meat before and after smoking. So I have to give a little apology because I promised 2 - 3 pounds per order finished weight and ended up with 1 - 2 pounds per order with the bulk of them around a pound and a half. For the folks who wanted about a pound, you're still getting about a pound.

I should probably explain the above post. But I'll primarily do it with pictures; here's the pot we put the briskets in after we pulled and vacuumed them:

fc857052.jpg

Here's Batgrrrl cleaning up with a baguette:

fc85700a.jpg

And here's the clean pot:

fc856fd7.jpg

Tomorrow I'll post pics of the final product and the "meat bucket."

Every single one of you should wait by your mailbox until the stuff comes. I was lucky enough to "happen" by der col's place this weekend when he was smoking. I was amazed at how the meat transformed from giant slab o' beef to the reason that god gave man incisors.

One of the best parts was eating fat.

The meat bucket ruled.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Sorry, Imagestation has been having some problems today. Here ya go:

First the unsmoked brisket:

fc84e39e.jpg

Here's some brisket on the smoker:

fc84e337.jpg

And here's the meat bucket, chock full o' meat:

fc84e39f.jpg

Oh man, I missed this. Col. I want some brisket next time and some kielbassa! Now that we know you can ship to Ontario!........

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Oh man, I missed this.  Col.  I want some brisket next time and some kielbassa!  Now that we know you can ship to Ontario!........

Yes. You do. You really, really do.

I got my brisket today and it is sooooo gooood. I feel compelled to pull it out whenever I pass by the fridge and slice off a few chunks. It's all about the fat. I was planning on making a hash on Thursday, but I don't know if I'll have enough left by then.

Oh man, I missed this.  Col.  I want some brisket next time and some kielbassa!  Now that we know you can ship to Ontario!........

Yes. You do. You really, really do.

I got my brisket today and it is sooooo gooood. I feel compelled to pull it out whenever I pass by the fridge and slice off a few chunks. It's all about the fat. I was planning on making a hash on Thursday, but I don't know if I'll have enough left by then.

:sad::sad::sad:

Marlene

Nice pics Col, but Pabst Blue Ribbon? :smile:

Darn tootin', of course there's great beer here in Seattle but it costs almost $8/six pack. I picked up this half-rack of PBR for $4. There's a simple pride in drinking a simple beer.

I learned to drink in Seattle and then I moved to Texas where it's a beer wasteland (comparatively). Ever since then I've lost the beer snobery and pretty much stopped drinking beer altogether.

Marlene, before we get too excited, the package has yet to be delivered successfully to Canada. From what I hear the Canadian postal service is not the most reliable. But if this works out, you'll definitely be on the next list!

Nice pics Col, but Pabst Blue Ribbon? :smile:

Darn tootin', of course there's great beer here in Seattle but it costs almost $8/six pack. I picked up this half-rack of PBR for $4. There's a simple pride in drinking a simple beer.

I learned to drink in Seattle and then I moved to Texas where it's a beer wasteland (comparatively). Ever since then I've lost the beer snobery and pretty much stopped drinking beer altogether.

Marlene, before we get too excited, the package has yet to be delivered successfully to Canada. From what I hear the Canadian postal service is not the most reliable. But if this works out, you'll definitely be on the next list!

heck, I'd pay you to FedEx it to me! Nuts to the Canadian Postal System :blink:

Marlene

If I don't get that damned beef, I'm gonna go postal on our Canadian postal system.

I've actually never experienced any problems with our postal system. I realize there are some horror stories, but I've had nothing but good experiences.

Let's hope that tradition continues. These pics are making me drool.

Edited by pixelchef (log)

heck, I'd pay you to FedEx it to me!  Nuts to the Canadian Postal System :blink:

Really? I'd be happy to ship out FedEx. But I think it'll cost a lot more. I'll look at the rates and tell y'all what I find!

Yo COl,

I havent eaten your sausages yet, wait, let me start over, the sausages that you sent me (that look awesome) are still in my freezer. I thought I would fry them up for my party on SAT. How would you suggest cooking them and what would you serve them with...a bunch of diff mustards and french baquettes or what would you do?

heck, I'd pay you to FedEx it to me!  Nuts to the Canadian Postal System :blink:

Really? I'd be happy to ship out FedEx. But I think it'll cost a lot more. I'll look at the rates and tell y'all what I find!

K. Let me know!

Marlene

Did you corn the brisket first, or did you buy it corned?

I bought it corned. This was the first time I ever tried this particular brand of corned brisket and I have to admit, it's my favorite. It's not as salty as most commercial ones. I cleaned out my local Cash and Carry not once, but TWICE. Luckily for me I dropped in there on Friday 'cause I hadn't planned on going in there at all, but they had one 13 lb package left. Even luckier is the fact that they had two more boxes coming in on Saturday morning. That's 45lbs of corned beef brisket. Man I love them. I love them so much that I asked if I could get my wedding registered there!

Cash and Carry is basically a restaurant supply store that's open to the public. If I want, I can buy half gallons of heavy cream. :cool:

So far I've bought martini glasses, a cast iron bacon press, squeeze bottles, a double jigger and over 50lbs of corned beef brisket.

The most beautiful thing about their corned brisket is that it was only partially trimmed. I can't stress this enough people, if you're going to smoke your brisket, you almost want as much fat as possible. Don't worry, most of that fat renders out into my water tray, but that leaves your brisket juicy and the remaining fat smoooooth as silk.