• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Basmati rice

rstarobi

I've been waiting to tell someone about my method of cooking Basmati. First of all, don't use the Americanized Basmati (at least for this recipe). Use the stuff in the four pound burlap sacks. Don't rinse it at all. I know that runs concurrent with traditional thinking but this is what you do: measure out one part rice (and do it in separate pots if the quantity is over four cups to prevent overcrowding and uneven cooking) and then measure out EXACTLY two parts water--I'm talking to the drop. Then--don't gasp Suvir--pour a quarter cup of the water out. Put the water and rice with a nug of butter and a healthy dash of K. salt into a medium sized (but not too large as to dwarf the stuff and cause burning) sauce pan or stock pot, cover it, crank the heat up until a full rolling boil is achieved, turn the rice down to "mare" simmer (sorry obscure Justin Wilson reference) and simmer until small holes appear in the top surface of the rice and the mass appears firm (absence of H20). Allow to sit for 5 minutes then fluff in a mixing bowl. Voila. Now if you're into Indian seasoning just do that magic before hand and add to already aforementioned procedure....Spencer.

V

When you switch off the heat with very little moisture left, instead of leaving it with close lid outside, send it to pre-heated oven at temp 325C for 8 - 10 minutes. Your rice should br grainy and seperate.

P2

Thank you. But it is anyway, without putting it in the oven :huh:

v

• 1 month later...

rstarobi, have you considered getting a rice crocker that's how I cook my rice (organic short grain brown rice, organic basmati). You can probably find it in any Asian market. I usually add a touch of extra virgin olive oil and sum cardarmon for flavor.

I now use a method adapted from Seductions of Rice and have had no problems (and no extra expense):

Wash 2 cups basmati rice in several changes of cold water.

Soak the rice in 2 1/2 cups water for at least 30 minutes.

Bring rice and water to a boil; stir, cover, and turn down heat to low. Cook 15 minutes.

Turn off heat and let rice sit (covered) for 10 minutes. Mix in a little ghee, if desired.

Perfect every time. :biggrin: