• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Choosing among Chef's Choice knife sharpeners?

Bob57

I am thinking about getting a chef's choice electric knife sharpener due to the review in America's Test Kitchen. Amazon has several Chef's Choice models (320, 100, 120, and "professional"). My choice is hovering between the 100 and 120 which are a little different in price but the descriptions are quite similar. Have any of you had experiences with these of the other models? Thanks in advance. Bob57

I used to own a Chef's Choice Model 100 knife sharpener when they first came out, but found that they put a weird kind of edge on the blade. So, for $10 i bought a whetstone in Chinatown, and it works great! Don't forget a steel as well.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

not for nothing, but i've yet to see an "automatic" sharpener that does as good a job as working the knife by hand on a good stone. i don't subscribe to the better mousetrap philosophy when it comes to knife sharpening. it's old school for me...

i recommend the y979 wetstone

1000 grit on one side and 6000 grit on the other. use with water, not oil

i don't think wet vs. oil is a matter of better or worse, but rather a preference.

Y979.jpg

for a steel - any of these will do if your honing a stainless steel knife.

M98110.jpg

a steel should be used for honing, not sharpening. there is a difference.

the website for these products is J. B. PRINCE

I was warned away from the electric sharpeners by one of the cook shops here. They said the machines are rather aggressive and it's easy to grind away too much metal.

I used to use a stone, but switched last year to the Spyderco sytem. It is simple to maintain a proper angle, because the ceramic sharpening rods are held at an angle by the base and all you have to do is hold the knife vertically...much easier for the eyes and brain to do. Two metal rods out to the side are good for protecting you from yourself. The Spyderco comes with a good manual and a useful video. I use it about once a month, and touch up with a steel after each cutting use.

Edited by Richard Kilgore (log)

this has been an ongoing issue for me. i just don't trust the Chef's Choice sharpeners, or rather, i don't trust that i'm using them correctly. it's pretty clear to me that there is a large margin of error as far as putting the blade in at a "correct" angle. it's not as though the device accepts the blade at one angle.

so, how do you use this thing? as with any tool, if you don't know how to use it, you run the good chance of messing things up. apparently, there is no "knife sharpener for dummies" device. otherwise, i'd gladly buy it.

regards,

dull.

tommy, the spyderco is a "knife sharpener for dummies", as long as you can accept the fixed angle they come with (i believe it IS fixed?).

i don't think they'll fix notches and hollows, though. only a stone can do that.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

i forgot to mention that the steels recommended above are the diamond variety and shoud be used with high carbon, chromium, molybdenum (no stain) knives. if you have a carbon steel (softer metal) knife i suggest using a regular steel. diamond steels are too hard for the soft metal of a carbon steel knife.

i forgot to mention that the steels recommended above are the diamond variety and shoud be used with high carbon, chromium, molybdenum (no stain) knives.  if you have a carbon steel (softer metal) knife i suggest using a regular steel.  diamond steels are too hard for the soft metal of a carbon steel knife.

Thank you for the invaluable advice. I have both kinds-carbon and stainless... no wonder my Sabatier's aren't too happy at the moment.

Chicagoans: anyone know where I can get a good whetstone? Thanks.

My father, a butcher in a former life, maintained that if you are old enough to use a knife, you are old enough to know how to sharpen one on a stone, and old enough to hone on a steel. Diana (12) has known how to use a whetstone and steel for 2 or 3 years now.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

i'll chime in again and say that sharpening a knife takes lots of practice. more often than not, on your first few attempts it may seem that you're in fact doing exactly the opposite. keep an even pressure and even angle (most recommend 8 - 15 degrees). the slurry that builds up on the stone is a good thing and helps the knife sharpen better...

i'll chime in again and say that sharpening a knife takes lots of practice.  more often than not, on your first few attempts it may seem that you're in fact doing exactly the opposite.  keep an even pressure and even angle (most recommend 8 - 15 degrees).  the slurry that builds up on the stone is a good thing and helps the knife sharpen better...

Helps if you learn on a really soft knife. Not only does it need more frequent sharpening (more practice!), but there's more of an encouraging sense of instant gratification, and it's easier to re-do it if you aren't happy with the degree.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

i'll chime in again and say that sharpening a knife takes lots of practice.

right on brutha. i've tried a stone. i ended up with marks in the knife, going ways that seemed bizarre and that were obviously never meant to be there. i figure my knives cost enough that i must be able to afford to have someone sharpen them for me. however, i've yet to find that guy. :sad:

that's why i'll always suggest buying a POS knife for all but the most adept chefs.  i wouldn't go out and drop $2K on a guitar and i wouldn't recommend anyone here spend more than $50 on a knife

dude, i can use a freakin knife. i just can't sharpen it. i'm not sure i'm down with your axe analogy. k?

tommy, i wasn't implying that you couldn't use a knife. i'm afraid you're reading between the lines...

i was making reference to my earlier post about recommending a knife that cost $25 bucks. this knife is most certainly not as awesome as some of the carbon steel japanese knives but if it gets damaged or ruined by an inexperienced knife sharpener - no love lost. it's a cheapie and can be replaced.

all other things aside, the most important thing is that the knife is sharp not that it looks pretty or is hand made like some of those flashy ones in the korin catalog.

knife sharpening seminar next week, i'll host.... - who's into it?

tommy, i wasn't implying that you couldn't use a knife.  i'm afraid you're reading between the lines...

matt, i wasn't suggesting that you suggested that. :biggrin:

i buy a knife to use a knife. sharpening comes later, and i'll find a way to get it sharpened. therefore, i'll spend a lot on my knives. it makes no sense to me to use a knife that isn't well-made, and most importantly, one that doesn't impress friends. that's just what it is.

knife sharpening seminar next week, i'll host.... - who's into it?

brilliant idea for the forums or for the daily gullet, methinks.

Edited by tommy (log)

I'll post on this when I receive it & give it a shot, since I'm a total sharpening newbie (it comes with a video). From what I've heard, it's best to maintain knives that are still in pretty decent shape, you need to get the diamond rods for reprofiling. I've also heard it's best to practice with your 'crappy ' knives, I have a long-abused Farberware block-full that's begging to be whipped into shape. After a while I'll try it on my relatively new, should still be sharp, Spydercos...Linda