• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Olive Tapenade - how long will it keep?

MaryIsobel

Earlier this year, on the recommendation of @FauxPas, my husband and I dined at Il Terrazzo in Victoria, B.C. When seated we were served the most amazing tapenade with warm bread. It was so good that I included a dollop of it in my to-go box so I could better analyze it. Once back in our hotel room, it spread a bit out on a napkin to more easily identify the very finely chopped ingredients. My take was: green olives of some kind, kalamata olives, capers, raw garlic, sundried tomatoes. If I make up a batch using those ingredients, how long would it last in the fridge? Maybe covered with a thin film of olive oil?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I think you may be missing anchovies in your list of ingredients. It keeps for a few weeks in the fridge with a bit of olive oil on top.

Interesting thought - I didn't detect any anchovie but it certainly couldn't hurt.

@MaryIsobel, I recently made a Mushroom Olive Caper Tapenade which recipe came from Cooking with Mushrooms by Andrea Gentl. It was outstanding. Andrea Gentl is a famous food photographer (probably has done the photography of lots of your favourite cookbooks).

I'm sending the recipe by PM.

No anchovies though.

P.S. Andrea Gentl says tapenade will keep in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Edited by TdeV
Always more to say. (log)

15 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@MaryIsobel, I recently made a Mushroom Olive Caper Tapenade which recipe came from Cooking with Mushrooms by Andrea Gentl. It was outstanding. Andrea Gentl is a famous food photographer (probably has done the photography of lots of your favourite cookbooks).

I'm sending the recipe by PM.

No anchovies though.

P.S. Andrea Gentl says tapenade will keep in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Thank you! That sounds really good.

• Like 1

Most of the ingredients in tapenade are preserved (olives, capers and jarred piquillo peppers, for instance) so what you need to worry most about would be fresh garlic, assuming that's an ingredient. Two weeks seems quite reasonable.

• Thanks 1