• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bob's Red Mill Corn Meal

Shel_B

I remember using Bob's Fine Grind corn meal. I can no longer find locally or online. Bob does show a corn flour. Might this be substituted for fine corn meal, or is it essentially just fine corn meal?  There are other acceptable options that I can use, but my preference is to stay with Bob's in this case if possible.

... Shel

I'm no expert, but would guess that the flour is not going to give you the desired results. It probably depends on how you intend to use it. but when mixed with liquid, it is going to be muddy rather than give you a more dough-like result that corn meal would give you. Again, I'm no expert.

• Thanks 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

1 hour ago, Maison Rustique said:

I'm no expert, but would guess that the flour is not going to give you the desired results. It probably depends on how you intend to use it. but when mixed with liquid, it is going to be muddy rather than give you a more dough-like result that corn meal would give you. Again, I'm no expert.

Frankly, that was my suspicion, but I was hoping that there was just a new name for the old product. Damn.

... Shel

10 minutes ago, donk79 said:

@Shel_B I have Wade's Mill down the road from me.  Any chance you have something similar nearby?

Not a chance.  As noted in my original post, there are other options available to me. Thanks for the link ... might come in handy some day.

... Shel

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

I rely on Bob's medium grind corn meal for almost everything. Especially corn bread. If you ground it a bit further you might get closer to fine grind. But do specify what you want the fine grind for.

Fair enough ... I've been making this recipe for several years, and have used Bob's medium grind and Bob's polenta for this and my other corn meal needs. However, the recipe specifically calls for a finer grind (Quaker!) and I'd like to try it with a finer grind.

Sure, I can use Quaker, but I prefer not to.  It would be my last choice.  

https://youtu.be/kO9P89V9_qY

I've ordered a fine and coarser grade of Italian polenta to experiment with.

My results with the coarser corn meal and polenta have been good, but maybe the finer grind will give a better result.  Quite likely something different.

Hadn't thought about whizzing the polenta or medium grind in the processor or blender.  Good suggestion.  Will do!

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

I decided to try some other cornmeal and polentas, not just for the recipe posted in this thread but for other cooking adventures as well.  Apart from the Italian polenta mentioned upthread, I ordered some fine and coarse yellow cornmeal from Anson Mills as well as some of their polenta.  It'll be nice, and hopefully educational, to compare three brands and six variants of the product.  Just how different can ground corn be?  I'll find out ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

... Shel