• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Simmering - A Kitchen Memoir

Our niece, co-owner of Pop+Dutch in Provincetown on the outer Cape, has written a memoir, about her time spent (mostly) in the kitchen.

Provincetown is home to a whole lot of weirdos, alternative lifestyles, what have you - so If you buy/read this book, be prepared. I haven't read it yet, but it's on its way to me the day it gets released.  As she texted to us:

There are probably some things that will be uncomfortable to read, so I wanted to say that you should please feel licensed to skip around!

I won't be skipping (it's not like I haven't seen, or maybe even participated in, uncomfortable things).  And evidently, we make a few appearances in the book! 

Simmering - A Kitchen Memoir

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

"Restauranter"?

I know she didn't write the publisher's blurb, but how does a publisher not proofread its own promo copy?

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

"Restauranter"?

I know she didn't write the publisher's blurb, but how does a publisher not proofread its own promo copy?

Proofreading and copy-editing are almost nonexistent.  I even found a couple errors in a recent New Yorker. Maybe one day AI will be up to it.

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

"Restauranter"?

Maybe because that’s how they wanted it to read?  Ranting about restaurants… at times.  She has never been a restaurateur.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Maybe because that’s how they wanted it to read?  Ranting about restaurants… at times.  She has never been a restaurateur.

That's plausible. I'd have hyphenated it in that case, but (shrug) I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, chromedome said:

That's plausible. I'd have hyphenated it in that case, but (shrug) I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt.

if you’ve ever seen the movie Stripes, perhaps you’ll recognize:

• Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog