• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Nyleve Baar

Nyleve Baar

16 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

You can't just introduce a story that way and not tell it...

Ok. Fine. But you have to know that we no longer have ferrets and we will never have ferrets again. I believe the statute of limitations has passed, since this happened years ago when my kids were, um, kids. Those kids now have their own kids. And neither of them will have ferrets either.

So I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to keep anything in a cage. So our ferrets - we had two at peak - had the run of the house, like cats. They would find different places to make their nests - in the couch springs, at the back of a bathroom drawer, in my pantry and in my dish towel drawer. I knew this. But somehow managed not to really think about it very much. You can only deal with so much when you have kids. Anyway, as you probably know, to make a rolled cake you bake the thing on a large flat baking pan, then turn it out onto a dish towel and let it cool slightly before rolling up in the towel. Then you unroll it, spread with filling and re-roll. 

Well. 

When I unrolled the cake, it was horrifyingly obvious that this dish towel had been a ferret nest. The cake was completely covered in fur. Passover seder was mere hours away and I had no time to make a replacement cake. So my sons and I spent about half an hour picking as much fur out of the cake as we could find. I think we got most of it. Probably. I filled it, rolled it up, and we served it. I'm not proud of this. The cake, formerly known as Banana Cream Roll is now known as Ferret Roll but we have never told anyone in the family why. They just think it's one of our silly names.

No one died.

Nyleve Baar

Nyleve Baar

16 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

You can't just introduce a story that way and not tell it...

Ok. Fine. But you have to know that we no longer have ferrets and we will never have ferrets again. I believe the statute of limitations has passed, since this happened years ago when my kids were, um, kids. Those kids now have their own kids. And neither of them will have ferrets either.

So I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to keep anything in a cage. So our ferrets - we had two at peak - had the run of the house. They would find different places to make their nests - in the couch springs, at the back of a bathroom drawer, in my pantry and in my dish towel drawer. I knew this. But somehow managed not to really think about it very much. You can only deal with so much when you have kids. Anyway, as you probably know, to make a rolled cake you bake the thing on a large flat baking pan, then turn it out onto a dish towel and let it cool slightly before rolling up. Then you unroll it, spread with filling and re-roll. 

Well. 

When I unrolled the cake, it was horrifyingly obvious that this dish towel had been a ferret nest. The cake was completely covered in fur. Passover seder was mere hours away and I had no time to make a replacement cake. So my sons and I spent about half an hour picking as much fur out of the cake as we could find. I think we got most of it. Probably. I filled it, rolled it up, and we served it. I'm not proud of this. The cake, formerly known as Banana Cream Roll is now known as Ferret Roll but we have never told anyone in the family why. They just think it's one of our silly names.

No one died.