• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tacos, or perhaps more accurately, filled taco shells and flour tortillas

ElsieD

14 minutes ago, FeChef said:

Breaded shrimp ( popcorn ) lettuce,tomato,cheese, garlic aoli, and habanero mango dipping sauce is my favorite filling.

Sounds delicious.  How do I make the mango habanero sauce?  

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Sounds delicious.  How do I make the mango habanero sauce?  

I buy it. My favorite was Tropical Pepper Company Mango coconut pepper sauce, but i have not been able to find since covid, but my local Weis grocery sells a very similar ( bit spicier ) brand called Jamaican choice mango coconut sauce.

1C301608-E271-433F-BF4B-9AB8DB27E0A8_480

• Thanks 1

ps:  I'm not going to make my own . . . whatevers

in our markets, only flour tortillas are offered.

do corn recipes not have a 30 year shelf life?  no clue.  simply put, corn tortilla are just not available . . .

I do a breakfast burrito -

pre-prepped:  bacon strip - microwaved for speed/ease

flour tortilla re-toasted in a dry hot pan

scrambled egg

the soft/toasted tortilla is ready . . .

lay in one strip of bacon

add one scrambled egg

add  ~1 ounce 4-blend cheese

trim side edge of tortilla to make fold/wrap/roll "ideal"

roll the tortilla and fasten with toothpick

the residual heat melts the cheese

the grins show 'we loved it"

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2024 at 11:23 AM, ElsieD said:

I'm looking to make more.  Any good taco ideas out there?

Hi @ElsieD ... last night I came across these in my files and I thought of your request.  Maybe they'll give you some ideas.  I'm planning to combine ideas from these two recipes and put together a "Taco Tuesday" for some neighbors:

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/chicken-tinga-tacos/

https://youtu.be/O6L7qpLXdk0 

• Thanks 1

... Shel

The best tortillas I have ever had are made in Melbourne Australia by La Tortilleria. One thing I learned is that they do not dry the masa between grinding and forming the tortillas. I don't know if that is the key compared to using dried masa but I can't argue with success. I don't think they sell their masa - at least I haven't seen it but maybe at their restaurants. I want to buy some because I'm dying for some decent tamales.

I used to be able to buy the tortillas in town but now have to go to a store 30 min south, if they have them in stock. Better yet is to go to one of their restaurants in Melbourne where they sell them by the kg. In that case I usually vacuum seal and freeze some then snip an end off the pack and put in the microwave for 30 seconds or so to steam them. If I'm using fresh, I put in a terra cotta tortilla warmer I made with a moist cloth or paper towel and nuke. I think getting the right steamy warmth without being soggy is the key to a good soft taco.

Flour tortillas are ubiquitous and come in a large variety because wraps are popular.

In terms of fillings, haven't been very inspired - your basic ground meat or chicken with cheese, salsa, guac, sour cream, salad mix. Occasionally some fish tacos made with baked frozen fish nuggets.

• Like 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

1 hour ago, C. sapidus said:

"Jamaican Firewalk" sausage and green bean tacos with sauteed white onion and a chipotle-tomatillo-roasted garlic salsa. Mrs. C came home hungry and grabbed most of it. :laugh:

Chipotle_tomatillo_sausage_202405.thumb.jpg.f578c01048c61bca980a1cf4f6ac5861.jpg

Looks good......sounds spicy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1