• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Science of Seasoning Metal Cookware

AlaMoi

On 3/7/2024 at 3:15 PM, weinoo said:

I don't think it's that hard...I walked away.

I have never had it retinned, but it has been replaced by a similarly sized one from Falk.

Are any of the people who re-tin copper still alive? If so, you might want to catch them while they're around!

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

I experimented with seasoning bare aluminum once. It kind of sort of worked. The piece is a heavy 2-burner griddle. It took a seasoning layer, and it resists sticking, but the finish is very fragile. Maybe not worth it. Still, don't listen to anyone who says it's impossible.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I experimented with seasoning bare aluminum once. It kind of sort of worked. The piece is a heavy 2-burner griddle. It took a seasoning layer, and it resists sticking, but the finish is very fragile. Maybe not worth it. Still, don't listen to anyone who says it's impossible.  

I wonder if the type of aluminum matters.

I have a newer All Clad that has a very black "seasoned" bottom that won't scrub off.  Older AC Master Chef bottoms won't take a stain.

8 hours ago, paulraphael said:

It took a seasoning layer, and it resists sticking, but the finish is very fragile.

The way I was taught, there is no discernible layer--the pan looks clean as a whistle.  Maybe a light gloss.

I do this with a 5mm thick omelet pan, which becomes at least as nonstick as a seasoned carbon steel or cast iron pan.

It is a fragile thing.  IMO, It's only "worth it" for a dedicated egg pan at low heat.  The effect lasts longest if you just wipe out the pan between firings.

14 hours ago, gfweb said:

I wonder if the type of aluminum matters.

I have a newer All Clad that has a very black "seasoned" bottom that won't scrub off.  Older AC Master Chef bottoms won't take a stain.

Interesting. I've gotten that bulletproof black layer on all kinds of metals, including stainless. I suspect it's almost all carbon, because of how hot things get on that side of the pan. I don't think it's identical to the standard seasoning on the inside. 

• Like 1