• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avocado Oil? Coconut? Grapeseed? Why? Where to use?

Sid Post

What is so good about Avocado, Coconut, or Grapesed oil?  Does it have a high smoke point for frying or a great taste I have missed?  Or is it just a health fad thing?  I use Grapeseed oil some with my light frying and it really works great seasoning cast iron and steel cookware now that Peanut oil is so hard to find in addition to being super expensive.

My sister fried some eggs in Avacado oil, and to be honest, I think she used a bit too much oil as it caused me GI distress.  I am not generally a fan of Coconut so, Coconut oil/fat is something I have generally avoided.

I typically see this oil in health-oriented ads and wonder if it is a more mainstream option I should consider.  And, where should you use this oil and, where should it be avoided?  Or, am I fine with good Olive oils (not the adultered ones), Grapeseed and Canola for light frying and roasted veggies?

Or put another way:

• Where should I use Avocado oil?  What is the wrong application for it?
  • Where should I use Coconut oil?  What is the wrong application for it?
  • Where should I use Grapeseed oil?  What is the wrong application for it?
  • What mainstream oils have I overlooked that isn't the 'main' thing found on the shelf of every grocery store?

TIA,

Sid

• Like 1

there are no hard "rules"

personally I found avocado oil to impart a taste/flavor I prefer not to have . . .

I use ordinary olive oil about 99%; safflower oil for a total non-flavor impact.

here's a list of oils and their "smoke points" - sorted by low to high temperature.

as you gander the temperatures, ask yourself "Do I really saute/fry/deep fry at those temperatures?"

225F.......    107C.......    Canola oil, unrefined
225F.......    107C.......    Flaxseed oil, unrefined
225F.......    107C.......    Safflower oil, unrefined
225F.......    107C.......    Sunflower oil, unrefined
320F.......    160C.......    Corn oil, unrefined
320F.......    160C.......    Sunflower oil - high-oleic, unrefined
320F.......    160C.......    Olive oil, extra virgin
320F.......    160C.......    Peanut oil, unrefined
320F.......    160C.......    Safflower oil, Semi-refined
320F.......    160C.......    Soy oil, unrefined
320F.......    160C.......    Walnut oil, unrefined
330F.......    165C.......    Hemp seed oil
350F.......    177C.......    Butter
350F.......    177C.......    Canola oil, Semi-refined
350F.......    177C.......    Coconut oil
350F.......    177C.......    Sesame oil, unrefined
350F.......    177C.......    Soy oil, Semi-refined
360F.......    182C.......    Vegetable shortening
370F.......    182C.......    Lard
390F.......    199C.......    Macadamia nut oil
400F.......    204C.......    Canola oil, Refined
400F.......    204C.......    Walnut oil, Semi-refined
405F.......    207C.......    Olive oil, High quality(low acidity) extra virgin
410F.......    210C.......    Sesame oil
420F.......    216C.......    Cottonseed oil
420F.......    216C.......    Grapeseed oil
420F.......    216C.......    Virgin olive oil
420F.......    216C.......    Almond oil
425/437F...     218C.......     Red Palm Oil, virgin
430F.......    221C.......    Hazelnut oil
440F.......    227C.......    Peanut oil
440F.......    227C.......    Sunflower oil
450F.......    232C.......    corn oil, Refined
450F.......    232C.......    Sunflower oil - high-oleic, Refined
450F.......    232C.......    Peanut oil, Refined
450F.......    232C.......    Safflower oil, Refined
450F.......    232C.......    Sesame oil, Semi-refined
450F.......    232C.......    Soy oil, Refined
450F.......    232C.......    Sunflower oil, Semi-refined
450F.......    232C.......    Coconut oil, Refined
460F.......    238C.......    Olive pomace oil
468F.......    242C.......    Olive oil, extra light
475F.......     246C.......     Camelina oil
490F.......     254C.......     Rice Bran oil
495F.......    257C.......    Soybean oil
510F.......    266C.......    Safflower oil
520F.......    271C.......    Avocado oil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@AlaMoi gave good information above about smoke points, and raised a good question about how hot you really want your oil to be. In my inexpert experience, oil must be at least 350F to do a decent job of frying most things I fry, which is rarely. I probably fry at more like 375. If the oil has too low a smoke point, it'll smoke and break down, and make strange flavors and possibly catch fire. That's bad. OTOH I rarely fry at very high temperatures (450F for instance) because things cook too quickly and are likely to char.

My only other comment is that I generally use peanut oil or soybean oil for frying, when I do it, and olive oil or occasionally avocado oil for salad dressings. Canola oil has a very healthful fat content, but I don't like the fishy flavor it develops when I cook with it. Olive oil is as good from a health standpoint, or at least good enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Virgin coconut oil is good for low temperature frying - like sweating onions and such - if you're making a South Indian curry that doesn't use coconut milk.  The oil imparts a nice subtle coconut flavor if you like that kind of thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1