• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Large Quantities of Cream Cheese or Similar in the UK

Hello,

I will be moving to the UK this fall, and am having trouble sourcing reasonably large units of cream/soft cheese. Here, I can easily purchase it as an 8oz brick, or a box of multiple. In the UK the largest I can find is a 250g plastic tub. As I would need at least four of these per week, and am not really in a position to reduce further than that, I am in something of a predicament. Buying tons of the plastic tubs feels somewhat absurd, and I would feel guilty for the excessive amount of plastic waste. I have found places where it is sold in greater than a kilo amounts, but these all seem to require trade accounts, which I have no way of acsessing.

Does anyone know of a source for large quantities of decent quality cream/soft cheese that will sell to private individuals?

I am aware that this question (and my cream cheese consumption) is somewhat absurd.

7 hours ago, Tanz said:

Hello,

I will be moving to the UK this fall, and am having trouble sourcing reasonably large units of cream/soft cheese. Here, I can easily purchase it as an 8oz brick, or a box of multiple. In the UK the largest I can find is a 250g plastic tub. As I would need at least four of these per week, and am not really in a position to reduce further than that, I am in something of a predicament. Buying tons of the plastic tubs feels somewhat absurd, and I would feel guilty for the excessive amount of plastic waste. I have found places where it is sold in greater than a kilo amounts, but these all seem to require trade accounts, which I have no way of acsessing.

Does anyone know of a source for large quantities of decent quality cream/soft cheese that will sell to private individuals?

I am aware that this question (and my cream cheese consumption) is somewhat absurd.

Soooo.... it's the waste that you have an issue with? A 250g tub is the equivalent of an 8oz brick, or close enough (it's a little over 8.8 ounces).

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

You can but catering packs like this, they don’t work out much cheaper (if at all) than regular supermarket 280g packs but less waste

https://www.marcoalimentari.com/online-store/PHILADELPHIA-CREAM-CHEESE-1-65kg-p131478726?gclid=CjwKCAiA75itBhA6EiwAkho9eyd58RLmnVtgs5nsGZVq5CqZiKGSjDSPcGf-gM5f5x2biNmm1s3eZxoCsfIQAvD_BwE

Costco might well sell larger amounts, will have a look next time I’m in there 

Welcome to EG. If you do have to resort to using the little plastic tubs, reuse them. I live in Costa Rica and that is the only way that I can buy cream cheese. I use the containers for salad dressing, leftovers, storage containers and all kinds of things. I have also saved them and given them filled with homemade Christmas goodies. A nice bow on top and you have a festive little package.

• Like 2

It'll depend on where you will be based but larger amounts are available eg https://andrewsgreengrocers.co.uk/groceries/breakfast-bakery-and-dairy/milk-and-cream/brands/longley-farm/longley-farm-full-fat-yorkshire-cream-cheese-1kg.html

You're just more like to get it via smaller businesses who could order it in for you.

Mascapone tends to come in bigger packs. Other wise most councils have good recycling collections.

• Like 1