• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you call lime leaves?

Dipping my toe into the cuisine of the Far East, I've had to look for "kaffir leaves".  I only searched Waitrose's site as that's the nearest supermarket to me and nothing came up for that word search.  Doing a bit more of a search I found "makrut leaves".  An online search ensued to find out if they would be an acceptable substitute, and I found this article.  Out of general interest, what do others around the world call these particular lime leaves, and if they are not called kaffir in Southeast Asia, why do the recipe sites and books seemingly by authors from that part of the world keep calling them kaffir and not makrut?

https://modernfarmer.com/2014/07/getting-rid-k-word/

Edited by Susanwusan
Forgot link (log)

14 minutes ago, Susanwusan said:

Dipping my toe into the cuisine of the Far East, I've had to look for "kaffir leaves".  I only searched Waitrose's site as that's the nearest supermarket to me and nothing came up for that word search.  Doing a bit more of a search I found "makrut leaves".  An online search ensued to find out if they would be an acceptable substitute, and I found this article.  Out of general interest, what do others around the world call these particular lime leaves, and if they are not called kaffir in Southeast Asia, why do the recipe sites and books seemingly by authors from that part of the world keep calling them kaffir and not makrut?

https://modernfarmer.com/2014/07/getting-rid-k-word/

Kaffir lime and makrut are synonyms for the plant Citrus hystrix.

Some places prefer makrut because "Kaffir" is considered an insult in certain parts of the world.

• Like 1

Kaffir is a racist slur in South Africa referring to black people. It means non-believer or infidel and is/was also used by muslims to refer derogatorily to non-muslims.

So, the word can be very offensive, although there is no clear connection between the slur and the fruit. In South Africa, the fruit is called 'Thai lime'.

Makrut is the more common name in Thailand and so has become a more neutral descriptor.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

Trúc or chanh sác in Vietnam.

箭叶橙 (jiàn yè chéng), if you can find them.

Are they used much in China? I figure maybe the South West - like near Yunnan possibly but anywhere else?  I don't think they're too common in Vietnam either although I think I saw them used a time or two near Saigon but I don't think I ever saw them used in Hanoi or central areas like Hue or Hoi An.

Also, some recipes just call them "lime leaves" which sounds generic but I've only seen it in reference to the makrut lime leaves.  In SE Asia, I don't think I've ever seen the leaves of a standard lime tree being used.

17 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Are they used much in China? I figure maybe the South West - like near Yunnan possibly but anywhere else?  I don't think they're too common in Vietnam either although I think I saw them used a time or two near Saigon but I don't think I ever saw them used in Hanoi or central areas like Hue or Hoi An.

No, not at all in China that I've ever seen. I can get them but they are imported from Thailand usually dried, but very occasionally fresh.

I did see them fresh once in a market in HCMC, Vietnam but don't recall ever eating them there.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto