• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add photo of cut brownies

I've been seeing a lot of brownies in the main baking topic and it got me thinking about my favorite brownies, made from a recipe that used to be printed on the back of Nestle's chocolate chip bag in which half of the chips are melted and go into the batter and the other half get stirred into the batter.  I started making these when I was a teenager! The recipe has been absent from the bag for years but I found it online and scaled it in half for a 6-inch square pan.  Here's a link to the full recipe and here's my half-scale version.  I'm sure I could round those flour and butter gram amounts but I just did a straight conversion for the first pass. 

Nestle Double Chocolate Brownie Recipe (half recipe for 6-inch pan)

47 g unsifted flour
1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
57 g butter
75 g sugar
1 T (15 ml) water
170 g (6 oz, 1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Trader Joe's 72% cacao dark chocolate chips)
1/2  teaspoon vanilla extract
1  egg
1/4 cup nuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
In a small saucepan, combine butter, sugar, and water. Bring just to a boil, then remove from heat. Add 85g (1/2 cup) chocolate morsels and vanilla extract. Stir until morsels melt and mixture is smooth then transfer to a bowl.
Add the egg and beat well then blend in flour mixture. Stir in remaining 85g (1/2 cup) of chocolate morsels and the nuts. Spread into a greased 6-inch square baking pan.
Bake 30 minutes. Cool completely before cutting. 

The look like I remember, with that shiny surface. 

2FF795DA-5C46-4E65-8512-BEF16723D11E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e58451f61d361799fd85e31cfabb0f28.jpeg

They're not quite cool yet.  I'll come back and add another photo when they're ready to cut.

Edited to add:  Ta da!  Very chocolatey and those 72% dark chocolate chips make them pretty decadent. 

4C77A985-C339-441C-AF05-1F0CC8345251_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9306d10c1168ad6463e3c392f129d600.jpeg

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I've been seeing a lot of brownies in the main baking topic and it got me thinking about my favorite brownies, made from a recipe that used to be printed on the back of Nestle's chocolate chip bag in which half of the chips are melted and go into the batter and the other half get stirred into the batter.  I started making these when I was a teenager! The recipe has been absent from the bag for years but I found it online and scaled it in half for a 6-inch square pan.  Here's a link to the full recipe and here's my half-scale version.  I'm sure I could round those flour and butter gram amounts but I just did a straight conversion for the first pass. 

47 g unsifted flour
1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
57 g butter
75 g sugar
1 T (15 ml) water
170 g (6 oz, 1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Trader Joe's 72% cacao dark chocolate chips)
1  egg
1/4 cup nuts, chopped

In a small saucepan, combine butter, sugar, and water. Bring just to a boil, then remove from heat. Add 85g (1/2 cup) chocolate morsels and vanilla extract. Stir until morsels melt and mixture is smooth then transfer to a bowl.
Add the egg and beat well then blend in flour mixture. Stir in remaining 85g (1/2 cup) of chocolate morsels and the nuts. Spread into a greased 6-inch square baking pan.

2FF795DA-5C46-4E65-8512-BEF16723D11E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e58451f61d361799fd85e31cfabb0f28.jpeg

They're not quite cool yet.  I'll come back and add another photo when they're ready to cut.

Edited to add:  Ta da!  Very chocolatey and those 72% dark chocolate chips make them pretty decadent. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

47 g unsifted flour
1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
57 g butter
75 g sugar
1 T (15 ml) water
1  egg
1/4 cup nuts, chopped