• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FeChef

FeChef

Deep fried a chicken in my 2.5 gallon Electric Turkey fryer. Used 20% evercrisp ( man does that stuff work ) I wonder how many hours i can hold it at 140F 10% humidity? I guess this would be the ultimate test for the product. ( well, maybe 100% humidity would ) That said, i wanted to use some steam because ive had fried chicken get too dry at holding temps without steam. Anyone have any experience with holding fried chicken with a steam oven?

Incase anyone is wondering, I cut up a 4lb bird into 9 pieces ( breast into 3, 2 drums, 2 thighs, and 2 whole wings folded. Also bread and fry the gizzard, and heart ( chefs prize )

Update: An hour in @ 10% humidity it went from extra extra crispy to close to "Original" i cut off the steam and will hold at 140F No steam for 2 more hours. And take pics of the results.

20221211_202756.jpg

FeChef

FeChef

Deep fried a chicken in my 2.5 gallon Electric Turkey fryer. Used 20% evercrisp ( man does that stuff work ) I wonder how many hours i can hold it at 140F 10% humidity? I guess this would be the ultimate test for the product. ( well, maybe 100% humidity would ) That said, i wanted to use some steam because ive had fried chicken get too dry at holding temps without steam. Anyone have any experience with holding fried chicken with a steam oven?

Incase anyone is wondering, I cut up a 4lb bird into 9 pieces ( breast into 3, 2 drums, 2 thighs, and 2 whole wings folded. Also bread and fry the gizzard, and heart ( chefs prize )

20221211_202756.jpg

FeChef

FeChef

20221211_202756.jpg

FeChef

FeChef

Deep fried a chicken in my 2.5 gallon Turkey fryer. Used 20% evercrisp ( man does that stuff work ) I wonder how many hours i can hold it at 140F 10% humidity? I guess this would be the ultimate test for the product. ( well, maybe 100% humidity would ) That said, i wanted to use some steam because ive had fried chicken get too dry at holding temps without steam. Anyone have any experience with holding fried chicken with a steam oven?

20221211_202756.jpg

FeChef

FeChef

Deep fried a chicken in my 2.5 gallon Turkey fryer. Used 20% evercrisp ( man does that stuff work ) I wonder how many hours i can hold it at 140F 10% humidity? I guess this would be the ultimate test for the product. ( well, maybe 100% humidity would ) That said, i wanted to use some steam because ive had fried chicken get too dry at holding temps without steam.

20221211_202756.jpg