• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

16 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Food Network ruined short ribs.

That price is insaner than what we have down here

Popularization of cooking ruined most meat prices sadly - flank steak, oxtail, shanks, pork belly - prices of the cheap cuts only went up, nothing went down to adjust for higher profit

I try to get most of my meat at 50% off these days -- I usually find lamb racks at 50% off once or twice a year and stock up, of course 50% off is still around 15-20 CAD. I even got a regular grade tenderloin for 60 CAD last year just after christmas.

Koji is a great meat alternative -- I hope it becomes more mainstream. Won't replace the Christmas tenderloin, but could fit in for a few meals during the year to make up for things

andrewk512

andrewk512

11 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Food Network ruined short ribs.

That price is insaner than what we have down here

Popularization of cooking ruined most meat prices sadly - flank steak, oxtail, shanks, pork belly - prices of the cheap cuts only went up, nothing went down to adjust for higher profit

I try to get most of my meat at 50% off these days -- I usually find lamb racks at 50% off once or twice a year and stock up, of course 50% off is still around 15-20 CAD

Koji is a great meat alternative -- I hope it becomes more mainstream. Won't replace the Christmas tenderloin, but could fit in for a few meals during the year to make up for things