• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mushroom Bread Pudding

Joy

Reconsitute the shitake. Reduce the soaking liquor. Saute the shitake with shallots and garlic.

If going Asianish, add ginger and shoyu. Tear bread into chunks and saute. Combine all including some of the reduced soaking liquor. Bake for twenty minutes at 400F. Lace with chile oil and serve.

If not, saute torn bread in butter. Combine all some of the reduced soaking liquor. Add rosemary and thyme and more butter. Bake for twenty minutes at 400F. Serve with creme fraiche and a slice of ham.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Any chance you can get your hands on a copy of "Wildwood: Cooking from the Source in the Pacific Northwest" by Corey Schreiber? It has a great recipe for Mushroom Bread Pudding with white cheddar cheese. mmm

If not, and if you are not in a hurry, I can post it for you within the next couple of days. It is worth looking into getting that book though, it has some great recipes for mushrooms, among other things.

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Any chance you can get your hands on a copy of "Wildwood: Cooking from the Source in the Pacific Northwest" by Corey Schreiber?  It has a great recipe for Mushroom Bread Pudding with white cheddar cheese.  mmm

If not, and if you are not in a hurry, I can post it for you within the next couple of days.  It is worth looking into getting that book though, it has some great recipes for mushrooms, among other things.

Oh wow, that sounds great but unfortunately I wanted to do this tonight to take advantage of the bread I have. However if you do get the time, I would love to try out that recipe at a later date.

Edited by Joy (log)

It's impossible to improve on what Jinmyo suggests, but ...  :biggrin:  if you like it custardy, add a couple of well-beaten eggs to the liquid, and maybe a little cream.  (I like puffy puddings.)

Yes I do like it custardy, and I was thinking of the egg-milk combo.

Ok, have a little extra time this evening, so here is the recipe from Wildwood (I hope the author won't mind). Like I said before, it really is worth your while to purchase this book.

1 Tbsp. olive oil

6 ounces fresh white or morel mushrooms, chopped

OR 2 ounces of dried mushrooms, rehydrated

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp black pepper

2 c. 1/2 and 1/2

4 lg eggs

2 Tbsp Roasted garlic puree*

1 Tbsp lemon zest

1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

2 cups 1-inch cubed stale brioche or egg bread

1 c. shredded white or yellow cheddar

1/4 c. chopped green onions

Heat oil over med-hi heat in 10 inch skillet. Add mushrooms, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Cook 8-10 min., stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft and juices are reduced by half. Remove from pan and let cool.

In a blender or food processor, combine the half and half, eggs, garlic puree, lemon zest, thyme, nutmet and repaining salt and pepper; blend until smooth and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 81/2 x 41/2 inch loaf pan.

In large bowl, toss together bread cubes, cheese, mushrooms, and green onions. Pour mixture into the pan. Pour the cream mixture over the bread and press lightly on the bread to submerge. Cover with parchment or waxed paper, then foil. Place loaf pan in a baking pan and add hot water to the baking pan to reach halfway up the sides of the loaf pan. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the pudding is golden brown, the custard is set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes prior to serving.

* for Roasted Garlic Puree - preheat oven to 3350, take 4 - 5 garlic bulbs and press down on them with your hand to loosen the cloves from the stem. Put the unpeeled cloves in a small pan. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with a little olive oil. Toss to coat the garlic cloves. Add 1/4 inch wter to the bottom of the pan and cover pan with foil. Bake 45 min. or until cloves are soft. Remove cloves from oven and force through a food mil or large-hold sieve using a firm rubber spatula or wooden spoon.. Store in refrigerator for up to 4 days.

Bon Appetit! Or as we say down here, that's some mighty fine eatin'! :rolleyes:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy