• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

For-no-reason celebrations

38 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Years ago my husband and I knew two young women whose mother was a survivor of the bombing of Hiroshima. The younger girl, Susanna, said that when she was little she always saved the center of her watermelon to eat last because it was the sweetest part. One day before she could eat it her mother reached over with her fork, took it and ate it. When she complained that she had saved the best part for last, her mother told her that she should never save the best things for last because she never knew what the next moment held and she would be stuck only knowing second-best.

My husband saves the "best" for last too. He risks not only his perfect hoard being stone cold by the time he gets to it--or me stealing it off his plate. 

Many of us just hoard one thing. He hoards food. On his plate, and in the fridge. He will dole out very small portions of good cheese, not wanting to finish it off, until it grows moldy or rock hard. He will eat a rotting peach before a perfect one and then let the perfect one become way too ripe. Not me. I eat the sweetest part of the watermelon first and the perfect peach while it is still perfect.

However, I do hoard something: that's clothing. My nicest things go unworn because I want to "save" them. I'm trying hard to fight this bad habit. At a certain point I have to ask myself how long it will be before it's pajamas 24/7. 

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

However, I do hoard something: that's clothing. My nicest things go unworn because I want to "save" them. I'm trying hard to fight this bad habit. At a certain point I have to ask myself how long it will be before it's pajamas 24/7. 

Ha with Covid did that not become a thing - 24/7 pjs or a button down shirt on top, pj/yoga  pants for Zoom. . I like variety so I mix and match foods. Clothes well Betsey Johnson. Anne Klein, and Kenzo were my mentors.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1