• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saucepan sizes

Susanwusan

The supplier sells two 2l saucepans.  One is 18cm (for those who are curious, with a lid for £11.64) the other is 16cm (without a lid for £11.99)

Does the width and height make a difference in any way with this size of pan?  The first one is definitely stainless steel, the other doesn't say.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Solid SS is a relatively poor conductor (heats slowly and unevenly) but cleans easily. Aluminum is the opposite.

I guess it comes down to which matters more to you and whether you use induction.

I'd choose aluminum, or better, SS clad aluminum.

I don't think either of them is clad aluminium.  I'll have to choose the stainless steel one because it will end up going through the dishwasher and when I scrub them, dark grey stuff comes off. I don't suppose the height/ width thing makes a difference to anything really.

33 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Solid SS is a relatively poor conductor (heats slowly and unevenly) but cleans easily. Aluminum is the opposite.

I guess it comes down to which matters more to you and whether you use induction.

I'd choose aluminum, or better, SS clad aluminum.

That, and the shape, and what is its primary use going to be perhaps?

Both of the numbers @Susanwusan links to are stainless, one is medium duty, and one is "professional."

I can only offer one bit of advice: buy a falk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Both are Chef Set brand, which doesn't sound inspiring, but as they are both from a catering supplier, shouldn't they all be professional quality? 

p.s. I have a question about babkas, if anyone wants to tootle along to the Regional Cuisine section.

The pan will be used mainly for boiling eggs, but it will have to do double, treble duty with other things, which I why I wanted to make sure I bought the right one.  lol.  I know.

Edited by Susanwusan (log)

1 hour ago, Susanwusan said:

Both are Chef Set brand, which doesn't sound inspiring, but as they are both from a catering supplier, shouldn't they all be professional quality? 

p.s. I have a question about babkas, if anyone wants to tootle along to the Regional Cuisine section.

The pan will be used mainly for boiling eggs, but it will have to do double, treble duty with other things, which I why I wanted to make sure I bought the right one.  lol.  I know.

Pros leave pots at a constant simmer for eggs and pasta. The slow time to boil doesn't matter to them because they simmer all day.

uhmmm, not to put too fine a nit on it . . . but in the real world "professional quality" means (1) doesn't leak and (2) cheap.

indeed there are many high end places that have a kitchen full of copper.  quote "normal" slash "average" kitchens use much less expensive stuff.  and if you watch some of the 'food shows' you'll often see aluminum saute/fry pans that are severely(!) warped . . .

in many stainless steel 'lines' cost differences relate to number of plies.  five ply is more expensive than three ply.

question:  in real life cooking does the higher cost get you anything?

I have a bunch of copper/stainless lined.   love 'em. 

tossed a bunch of 50-60 year old misc. pots/pans and replaced in Zwilling Aurora.  not cheap - got it on sale tho.

the Aurora 5 ply boils water seriously faster than the copper - for dinner prep, the Zwilling is my goto pot for quickly putting (cook by boiling)  vegetables on the table.

make a freezer stash of medium/dark roux?  copper is the choice.

• Like 1