• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart contour pour saucepan with strainer lid (419-18P): induction version?

Ratatata

Hi, I am the new owner of an induction cooktop and I am finding out real quick that a few of the pans I thought were all good for induction, are not. 
One of my every workhorse is the pan in subject:

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/cookware/saucepans/419-18p/

While it was a cheap purchase, it is a nice everyday pan, feels good in the hand, decent look (outside of the lid handle, and maybe too many curves) and the deeper lid with dual strainer is really practical. Most time this is used for pasta, soups, reheating stuff. Most of my fancy cooking happens elsewhere.

I am wondering if anyone has a similarly featured pan that would be good for induction?

Side note, I am looking for a practical but beautiful steamer basket/pot combo for dumplings (flat steamer) that would not be bamboo ideally. if anyone has suggestion I am also interested!

My stepdaughter has a closely equivalent set from KitchenAid, except the drain/strain holes in the lid are only on one side. Hers work on induction.

I'll take a look when I'm next upstairs in the kitchen and see if they have any kind of identifying mark so I can look them up, but I suspect you'd be able to find them on Amazon or KitchenAid's website.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Since most of your "fancy" cooking happens elsewhere, you might consider keeping and using a converter plate for this pot (and other beloved incompatibles).  While they have an undeservedly bad reputation, they work.  In fact, if pan evenness is desired, converters can improve upon induction's inherent unevenness.

Another suggestion is to sub a strainer insert for draining.  This greatly widens your pan choices by freeing you from that cover.  And inserts tend to be versatile.  Maybe best of all, inserts can often be found in the thrift outlets for very little money.

5 hours ago, chromedome said:

My stepdaughter has a closely equivalent set from KitchenAid, except the drain/strain holes in the lid are only on one side. Hers work on induction.

I'll take a look when I'm next upstairs in the kitchen and see if they have any kind of identifying mark so I can look them up, but I suspect you'd be able to find them on Amazon or KitchenAid's website.

I stand corrected, her pots are also Cuisinart. Her exact ones don't appear to be currently on the site (may have been a Canadian variation, I suppose) but this one is pretty close to what we have here, and also to what you currently have. I expect they would perform similarly.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/cookware/saucepans/719-18/

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning