• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

Sometimes, when the world's been upside down just a little too long, when the tires for your cat didn't come in and you're without a car til Monday, never mind there's nowhere to go...

You have to revert to trailer park comfort food.

Disclaimer: I never lived in a trailer park, likely because my grandmother was so deathly afraid of storms she insisted on a stick-built house instead of "one of them tin cans," but I had a gracious plenty of kinfolk and friends who did and spent a lot of time in them.

I give you...

20200509_170019.thumb.jpg.2ae03099ad1d164b27b17cfe5ab4cdc7.jpg

Hawaiian meatballs!

This is about as poor white folks as it gets. And I dearly love them. Basic meatballs (I add a quarter teaspoon or so of ginger). Pineapple chunks.  Sauce is pineapple juice, water, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce. Cornstarch to thicken. 

kayb

kayb

Sometimes, when the world's been upside down just a little too long, when the tires for your cat didn't come in and you're without a car til Monday, never mind there's nowhere to go...

You have to revert to trailer park comfort food.

Disclaimer: I never lived in a trailer park, likely because my grandmother was so deathly afraid of storms she insisted on a stick-built house instead of "one of them tin cans," but I had a gracious plenty of kinfolk and friends who did and spent a lot of time in them.

I give you...

20200509_170019.thumb.jpg.2ae03099ad1d164b27b17cfe5ab4cdc7.jpg

Hawaiian meatballs!

This is about as poor white trash as it gets. And I dearly love them. Basic meatballs (I add a quarter teaspoon or so of ginger). Pineapple chunks.  Sauce is pineapple juice, water, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce. Cornstarch to thicken.