• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to dip (enrobe) these marshmallows?

JeanneCake

With the current COVID-19 crisis closing things left, right and center; I am taking advantage of the enforced time off to play in the kitchen.  I have been obsessed with the different marshmallow offerings from a shop in Chicago and another one in Arizona.  So I've long used the recipe from Nightscotsman, adapted slightly to use  less gelatin and whipped a few minutes less for a slightly softer  marshmallow that's easy to pipe into forms or on tarts....

I'm using the cylinder flexi molds, sprayed; filled half way then I'm sinking a truffle into it and then piping more marshmallow on top.  I let it sit overnight then I'm dipping them into coating chocolate.  I need a way to make these look neat and because I am by no means a chocolatier, I am asking (begging!) for some assistance in making these look good. I don't know what I don't know so assume you are talking to a complete novice (because you are!) when offering help.

I tried dipping just the bottoms.  The tops of them aren't really level so they wobble a bit and the fluid chocolate drips on one or more sides when I'm dipping the bottoms. Then I "glaze" the tops, letting the chocolate run down the sides (I just scrape up the run off and add it to the next batch of coating chocolate I melt.)  I try to slide them before the chocolate sets up too much in an effort to minimize how much they stick to the grid.  

Some challenges: I don't have any cocoa butter at the moment and am unlikely to get some any time soon given the current situation.  (We have a lot of coating chocolate because we use it to dip cheesecake lollipops).  I also don't have a finer grid either (if that matters at all). 

Am I doing this the wrong way, or approaching it the wrong way?

plainmarshmallow.jpg

plainmallow2.jpg

IMG_20200324_143538_246.jpg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

They look quite yummy. Would it be possible to build more of it in your flexi mold and pipe the chocolate base in prior to adding the marshmallow? Then you would have a solid chocolate base that might make dipping the piece easier. If you could coat the sides of the mold with chocolate too then you’d only have to deal with adding chocolate to the top.

• Like 1

@curls  gave you a good solution if you have a bit of experience with molded chocolates.

Another solution could be this one:
- insert a toothpick in the bottom side of the marshmallow, going as deep as you can (half the height would be ideal) being careful to avoid the truffle;
- dip the whole marshmallow in chocolate, top-side down;
- place a wire (thin rod, or whatever else) over a piece of parchment paper;
- using a clothespin, hang the marshmallow on the wire (the "eye" in the clothespin runs throught the wire, the "jaws" hold the toothpick), so it stays top-side down and the excess chocolate continues dripping on the parchment paper.
If you use this method then I would say it's better going for a pointy top, not a flat one. This way when the marshmallow hangs topside down the excess chocolate will make a very nice looking pointy tip on the top of the final product.

One thing: from the photos it seems you are using the chocolate when it's a bit too thick.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

Thanks @curls and @teonzo for the help.  I will try those techniques this week. You are right about the consistency of the coating chocolate, Teo,  I did notice it got thick/viscous faster than I thought it would, I am sure because I was fumbling and thinking "dip the bottom see what happens" and "dip the top see what happens" "dip the whole thing see what happens". 

When we dip cheesecake pops, we are fast enough with the dipping that we run out of chocolate before there's a change in the consistency.

The dark side is beckoning....come to the chocolate side, Jeanne, come to the chocolate side 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

The dark side is beckoning....come to the chocolate side, Jeanne, come to the chocolate side 🤣

When you get the bug, there's no turning back.  I know you work with AUI, which carries the delicious chocolates from Felchlin. Try some Maracaibo Clasificado.  With your cake skills, you would be terrific at chocolatiering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1