• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Choosing Fresh Vegetables

Kim Shook

I made fresh green beans last night.  They were a little bitter.  It seems to me they should be very good at the beginning of November.  They looked fine and I even tried to "string" a couple to see if they were excessively stringy (which sometimes even the "stringless" are) and snapped one - it was not limp and dry.  Is there some way to tell in the store if they are going to be bitter?  Do I have to taste a raw bean?  Blah.  

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

Sorry Kim, I have no answer to your question...but rather another question to add:  how can you tell if the carrots you buy are going to be sweet, blah, or even bitter?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

48 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Sorry Kim, I have no answer to your question...but rather another question to add:  how can you tell if the carrots you buy are going to be sweet, blah, or even bitter?

With carrots, I scratch them slightly with my thumbnail.  If they are juicy and smell sweet, I buy.  I don't buy bags of carrots, only loose ones, if I can help it.

• Thanks 1