• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A question for anyone who owns a Zojirushi rice cooker

stephen129

Though If the NP-NVC18 could cook oats, what would be the point of stating in the NP-NVC18 instruction manual Important Safeguards it cannot?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 11 months later...

Anyone with the newer NW-JEC10 version have feedback? I'm debating between the 5.5C versions of the NW-JEC10 and the NP-NWC10. On the one hand, they tout that the NW-JEC10 is a new and improved version of the NP-NWC10, but it is a completely new design for them. They have a lot of experience with their old design.

I'm particularly interested to hear if either is easier to maintain and keep clean. I went to a local Japanese store to check them both out in person, and the NW-JEC10 seems to have a non-removable vent section for the steam, which would lead me to believe it's hard to clean in that area. 

• Like 1

if you can easily afford and choose to afford the pressure versions

go in that direction .

I think its been mentioned up-thread :  make sure

the pressure versions have cooking cycles w/o the pressure :

its my understanding pressure cookers do not do well w milk.

milk is mandatory for me and steel cut oats rather than plan water.

I have a very old national // Panasonic 10 cup

and the rice that's cooked in that pot 

is identical to muy taste buda as the rice cooked in a newer 

induction model .

but Im pleased I have both .the induction is 3-cup and easier to 

use based on weight and size.

if the pressure differential is a bit steep for you

the  induction model is a very fine machine.

if you don't have a rice cooker , go for the 5 cup.

significantly smaller than the 10 , but w good head room for

' mix - ins ' w 2 - 3 cups of rice after the rice has finished cooking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

After looking at the price, my feedback is how much better can it be at cooking rice than one of their units that is $300 - $400 less?

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

My thought is that if people are spending $700 on a rice cooker, I hope people are cooking really good rice. So no Uncle Ben's, please.

I understand your perspective and would encourage you to explore those questions if you are interested. You'll get 95% of what these two pressure+induction cookers offer in the neuro fuzzy versions that most people buy when looking into quality Zojirushi rice cookers. As with most appliances and tools, it's a diminishing return as you go up the quality/features offerings.

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

if you can easily afford and choose to afford the pressure versions

if you don't have a rice cooker , go for the 5 cup.

These two Zojirushi models are both pressure+induction. One has been around for a while and is similar in design to their other, time-tested models, and the other is a completely new design. 

I'm only considering the 5.5C version of both.

• Like 1

Thanks for the flurry of attention. I bought a Pressure Induction Heating Rice Cooker & Warmer NW-JEC10 (5.5 cup / 1 litre) this morning.

Edited by TdeV
I can't spell (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TdeV said:

Thanks for the flurry of attention. I bought a Pressure Induction Heating Rice Cooker & Warmer NW-JEC10 (5.5 cup / 1 litre) this morning.

If you wouldn't mind posting your thoughts on using it after you mess around with it, I am considering the same. I have yet to meet someone with experience using both the NW-JEC10 and NP-NWC10 and comparing the pros/cons of one vs the other. You might not be able to speak to how it compares to the NP-NWC10, but I'm sure you'll have some thoughts.

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@TdeV 

'''   this model rice cooker has a self-clean cycle. '''

interesting.

does it clean the exhaust system , above the pot

on the way to the outside exhaust ?

I cook only rice (except oats once) in my NW-JEC10 and have seen no need to use the self-clean cycle.  If I were cooking curry I might feel differently.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@greymatter, I tend to like tools, and am fond of really good ones; I figure it shortens the learning curve.

However, the real kicker is that this model rice cooker has a self-clean cycle.

The self cleaning cycle is meant to help clean out the attached lid that does not have a removable ventilation area like the other one has. It's helpful for when cooking things that have spices, milk, or other adjuncts that are not part of the normal rice only cycles. It is not for cleaning the pot or anything like that.

I am interested in that lid setup and how the cleaning works out. Maintenance cleaning is the only thing that has prevented me from jumping into one of the nice rice cookers with pressure systems. Especially for this one without the removable vent area like the other one has.

Edited by greymatter (log)
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

greymatter 

which -pressure - induction has the removable vent system ?

Ive had this on both my rice cookers

and it was easy to clean and take care of.

but it was something to do

esp after oats.

It's the other of the two that I mentioned above: the NP-NWC10. This Youtube video goes over some of the differences between them. Keep in mind, they're trying to push the new one.

• Like 2

Just got an email - fresh supply is in and perfect for those $750 rice cookers!

https://trf-ny.com/collections/rice?utm_campaign=emailmarketing_146237587690&utm_medium=email&utm_source=shopify_email

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone cooked Bomba (Valencia) rice in the Zojirushi or other rice cooker?

What proportions of water & rice?

Setting of "Mixed Rice" ? Or?

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Has anyone cooked Bomba (Valencia) rice in the Zojirushi or other rice cooker?

What proportions of water & rice?

Setting of "Mixed Rice" ? Or?

I'm on a need to know basis - why do you want to cook Bomba in a rice cooker? I mean, other than to cook Bomba in a rice cooker.

They (Zo) do give instructions here...https://www.zojirushi.com/app/recipe/paella

But, imo, it defeats the purpose of Bomba.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Ice cooked both Bomba

and Calasspara rice in a Fuzzy .

why do this ?  

it got to The Plate.

and indeed, w ' the ultimate rice cooker book '

I was able to make Paella for my father 

and yes the shrimp when in at the end off cooing , `1/2 way in 

than steamed .

and there was some crust on the bottom of the Fuzzy .

I have love in Spain , and had the real item there ,

in the ' country ' over a wood fire .

but , just cook any rice , you have , or might get 

w the correct water proportion , and then  work from there ,

a Fuzzy rice cooker , and make a decent to fine paella 

if that's how you can make it 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Why, Mitch?

The recipe that I linked (from Zojirushi) has you prepare many of the ingredients separately, then mix them into the rice after the rice is cooked. The recipe has you rinse the rice, something I don't believe is ever done with paella (or risotto, for that matter). It has you cook the rice in the rice cooker with the same proportion of water that you would use for Japanese short-grain or medium grain rice, but the whole idea of Bomba rice is that it absorbs 3x the amount of water without bursting or getting mushy, which allows it to capture all the flavors of what it has been cooked with.  Additionally, though @rotuts claims the rice he cooked had some"crust on the bottom,"  I don't believe that to be a true soccarat, what many people feel is the best part of the paella.

So, sure, one can cook Bomba the way Zojirushi recommends, but don't think by doing this:

When rice completes cooking, microwave the seafood and green peas for 30 seconds, then add the cooked rice. (Do not add the seafood to the inner cooking pan, as the shell may scratch the nonstick coating.) Garnish with chopped parsley and serve in warm bowls with lemon wedges.

One is really making paella.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog