• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dumplings: Tips, Techniques, Recipes

NeroW

That's what I can't remember. I do have a note with my dough recipes that store bought frozen dough can be used, but it is a bit too elastic.

When that post was made, I remember having the picture, in my head, of those ready made mantou buns that are all ready for steaming. I assume they are raw dough?

I should take note when I read tips like that post!!!!! LOL!

(Was it Ben?)

I can remember the discussion, but I don't remember who started it. I have often used bread dough for mantou and bbq pork buns (too damn lazy to knead). For the latter I add some sugar to make it slightly on the sweet side. If I want dim sum restaurant style buns, fluffy and sweet dough, I will make it with cake flour and baking powder.

I didn't read the discussion (yet), but I too have used store bought bread dough for mantou. (I was a penniless student at the time, the store was selling a whole lot of frozen bread dough at a crazily reduced price, how could I not buy it?)

It was okay, and of course useful if one was in a hurry, but somehow I always felt guilty using it - perfectionist I guess!

Ben, I'm probably obtuse, but I'm not following you. You added more sugar into the bread dough when making the pork buns, and then re-kneaded once to distribute it in the dough, or you put more sugar into the pork filling to counter the effects of having less sweet bread?

Jo-mel, the ready made ones ready for steaming that I have seen have always been cooked and then frozen. The steaming is just for thawing ithem out and warming them up.

• 9 months later...

I love dumplings and as the weather gets colder I've been thinking of making a few. We made korean mandoo over thanksgiving. We boiled some into soups and other pan fried. I'm now thinkng of doing chinese pot stickers.

I'd love to hear about a good pot sticker recipe for both the filling and for the skin.

I'd also like to hear which is your favorite dumpling and would appreciate a recipe if you have it.

Soup

Soup - here's my mom's recipe for pork dumplings

PORK DUMPLINGS

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour plus additional for dusting

1 (2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger

1/2 cup light soy sauce

1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced

3/4 lb fatty ground pork

Stir together flour and 1/2 cup lukewarm water in a bowl until a dough forms. Knead on a lightly floured surface until just smooth, 1 to 2 minutes, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature at least 10 minutes.

While dough stands, halve ginger, then finely chop 1 half and cut remaining half into very thin matchsticks (less than 1/8 inch thick).

Combine 2 tablespoons soy sauce with 3 tbsps. of vinegar in a small bowl.

Reserve 2 tablespoons scallions for garnish, then finely chop remainder and put in a bowl along with pork, finely chopped ginger, and remaining 3 tablespoons soy sauce. Gently knead with your hands in bowl until just combined. Chill, covered, 10 minutes.

While pork mixture chills, line a large baking sheet with paper towels and dust lightly with flour, then lightly dust a work surface with flour. Halve dough and rewrap 1 half. Pat remaining half into a flat square. Roll out dough into a 13-inch square (less than 1/8 inch thick) with a lightly floured rolling pin, dusting work surface with additional flour as needed, then cut out 12 rounds (very close together) using cookie cutter. (If dough is sticking to cutter, lightly dip cutter in flour and shake off excess before cutting out each round.) Reserve scraps.

Transfer rounds to lined baking sheet and cover loosely with another layer of paper towels lightly dusted (on top) with flour. Roll out remaining half of dough and cut out 12 more rounds in same manner, then transfer rounds to lined baking sheet. Combine scraps of dough and wrap in plastic wrap, then let stand at least 10 minutes.

While scraps are standing, begin forming dumplings. Line another large baking sheet with paper towels and dust lightly with flour. Put 1 dough round on fingers of 1 hand near palm and put 2 slightly rounded teaspoons pork mixture in center of round. Fold round in half, enclosing filling, and pinch edges together to seal. Put dumpling on lined baking sheet and form 23 more dumplings in same manner (you may have some filling left over). Cover dumplings loosely with more paper towels. Roll out scraps into a 10-inch square (less than 1/8 inch thick) and cut out 8 more rounds. Form 8 more dumplings for a total of 32. Discard remaining scraps.

Gently drop all dumplings into a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling water, gently stirring once to prevent sticking, and cook 6 minutes. (Dumplings will float to top while cooking.) Transfer dumplings with a slotted spoon to a serving dish and sprinkle with reserved scallions. Serve with light soy sauce/vinegar dipping sauce.

You can also fry/steam them in the pan.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I used to make a filling with velvet chicken and slivers of ginger for warteep.

This was a nice change when served as a platter with pork siu mai, char siu baos, leen yeep zhong, and har gow.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Would savory tang yuen count as dumplings? This is what we had for lunch yesterday:

glutinous rice dumplings, shredded daikon, lapcheung, ha mai, pork and waterchestnut meatballs, lots of cilantro, ma li oil in pork broth

gallery_13838_3935_17069.jpg

I dip the dumplings in a mixture of light soy, sesame oil, and lots of freshly ground pepper along with the chili oil. :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah, that looks really soothing!

I don't imagine you can order this in any restaurants, so, Michael, you'll have to get adopted by some kindly Po-Po. :biggrin: Or, you can make it yourself. It's really very simple. Shall I teach you how to DIY?

My family serves this during Chinese New Year. I get a craving for it several times a year, especially in the winter.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah, that looks really soothing!

I don't imagine you can order this in any restaurants, so, Michael, you'll have to get adopted by some kindly Po-Po. :biggrin: Or, you can make it yourself. It's really very simple. Shall I teach you how to DIY?

My family serves this during Chinese New Year. I get a craving for it several times a year, especially in the winter.

I don't know when I would get around to cooking it, but I'm sure others would want to attempt it!

Michael aka "Pan"

Please do Dejah!! Please do!!!

I have never had savory Tang Yuan.

My family makes our own Tang Yuan with our own secret sweet fermented rice wine soup for breakfast.

But your savory Tang Yuan looks sooo good. Please show us!! Pretty please?? With chili sauce on top? hehehe :biggrin:

I just re-read the original post.

My father's family is originally from Shan Dong and that region is famous for their dumplings and steamed bread.

A recipe that I have for traditional shan dong dumplings is as follows:

(*note: I don't measure so please add to your desire)

Simple Wrapping:

All Purpose flour

Water

(let rise)

Filling:

Napa Cabbage

Shitake Mushrooms

Scallions

minced pork

Ginger

Soy sauce

Pepper

Salt

Sesame Oil

Tang Yuen on top of noodles?  My wife would say:  starch, starch and more starch.  :raz:

What are you talking about, noodles?! Those "noodles" are shredded lobak! Your late night cramming for exams have scrambled YOUR NOODLES! :laugh::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

What are you talking about, noodles?! Those "noodles" are shredded lobak! Your late night cramming for exams have scrambled YOUR NOODLES! :laugh:  :laugh:

Oh! Daikon shreds! They do look like rice noodles, sorry. That's interesting. The starch comes in the balls instead of from the shreds. :laugh:

These exams are killing me. Better be a teacher than a student!

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

What are you talking about, noodles?! Those "noodles" are shredded lobak! Your late night cramming for exams have scrambled YOUR NOODLES! :laugh:  :laugh:

Oh! Daikon shreds! They do look like rice noodles, sorry. That's interesting. The starch comes in the balls instead of from the shreds. :laugh:

Tell your wife that starch is good brain food. :raz: She worries overmuch !

I'll post the dumpling process tomorrow. I need starch!

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Basic Savory Tang Yuen a la Dejah's mother:

Soak 1/4 cup ha mai or 3 - 4 conpoy(dried shrimp or scallop)

Shredded lobak - whatever amount you want. I do a whole one about 12" long 'cos I love it more than the dumplings. Put the lobak into a pot, add just enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Mom always said to cover the pot, and when it starts to stink up the house, it should be ready. :wink: Drain the lobak but save the water!

Slice and velvet some pork tenderloin. Slice 2-3 lapcheung diagonally. Set these aside.

Bring a pot with the lobak water and good stock to boil.

For the dumplings: The amount of flour and water depends on how many are eating, and how many dumplings you can eat. :wink:

Basic: 1 package glutinous rice flour to 2 cups water.

Place flour in a bowl. Add just enough water to make a dough the consistency of playdough. Roll into balls the size of your thumb nail.

When the stock boils, add the dumplings and rehydrated hai mai/shredded conpoy. When the dumplings rise to the top, add the pork and lapcheung. Finally, add the cooked lobak. Adjust seasoning.

To serve, ladle some of everything into a large bowl. Drizzle with sesame oil and top with cilantro or green onion.

Have a side dish with soy sauce, white pepper, and mah la oil if you wish for dipping the dumplings.

If you can't find lobak, you can substitue with suey choi, but it's lobak that makes this tang as far as I'm concerned!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

That sounds wonderful! In Chinese cuisine,it seems to me more and more that it's really the homestyle rather than restaurant 'haute' cuisine that is deeply satisfying.

BINGO I just heard the sound of a hammer hitting the nail squarely on the head.

Gen. Tso and Kung Pao are personna non grata in our household.

do you all celebrate Chinese winter solstice on the 22nd Dec ?

On this day, Chinese ( all over the world ? ) eat tang yuen to signify that they r one year older . My mom told me that this day is even more important than the lunar new year. We called this day - dong zhi

Edited by peony (log)

peony

When my Mother was alive, it was an annual tradition, not to be missed. We had both the sweet and savoury tang yuen. The round dumplings symbolizing the circle (completeness) of the family.

As a side note, eating glutinous rice dumplings always gave me the "back door trots", and it wasn't until I was well into my adulthood when I outgrew my affliction. I didn't enjoy what everyone else was relishing. Maybe I was the designated black sheep!!