• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

George A

Hi from Peterborough ON

I've been browsing this site for the past few days looking for info on a new way of cooking and noticed that there are a bunch of friendly people here, so decided to join!

I'll turn 70 next year but have always been able to fend for myself in the kitchen, going back to pre-teen years when a bowl of porridge before heading out to deliver newspapers on a cold winter morning was "standard operating procedure".

In the past couple of years I've added a few new cooking methods; Kamado, pressure cooking, sous vide, slow cooking and now, steam convection cooking. From what I've seen so far, this site will be a great resource for learning and sharing and I look forward to participating in a positive way.

Thank you to all.

George

• Like 5

Hello George A.  Welcome to eGullet. 

I am even older than you are and have been a member of eG for ten wonderful years now.   There are lots of us in Ontario and even a few in the area. 

I didn't learn how to cook until I was married and didn't like it much until the last decade or so.  I'll never be a pro at it.  I don't know what Kamado is (I'll Google it) and I have never done sous vide.  Don't do steam convection cooking, but I'm a whiz at Mexican, African, Mediterranean, etc, etc....as long as it's not European or North American dishes which mostly my DH (dear husband) does.  I also love working with chocolate.   I make ice cream in my sleep even.  And we do Chinese together.  

And, moreover, I live not far from Peterborough, ON, so we are almost neighbours.   We are newcomers, having lived in the area for only 48 years. 

• Like 2

Good to hear from you Darienne,

I'm not a pro in the kitchen either but always trying to learn. Your cooking categories sound very interesting - lots of spices I'll bet (which I like). Maybe you found out already but a Kamado is a (usually) ceramic outdoor cooker, the Big Green Egg being the most well known. They are fueled by charcoal and have air-tight vents at the bottom and top so that temperatures can be held for low and slow cooking (eg. 4-5 hrs at 225 F for  pork ribs). Hard to do on a regular BBQ.

My wife and I have been in Ptbo for 8 years, having lived in Toronto 40 years. Don't miss TO at all!

Cheers.

Edited by George A correct grammar (log)
  • Like 2

Welcome to eGullet, George A!  I'm not too far away from you either and it's nice to have another Canadian member.

1 hour ago, George A said:

My wife and I have been in Ptbo for 8 years, having lived in Toronto 40 years. Don't miss TO at all!

I can believe that one!