• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chateau Margaux Tasting

cabrales

I'd appreciate input on the following Master of Food and Wine event wine tasting (e.g., value):

"Château Margaux Tasting -- $350

3:00 pm to 4:30 pm 350.00

This event could be billed as a highlight of any wine connoisseur’s life [i think not]. The presentation will feature ten vintages and will be led by Paul Pontallier, General Manager and winemaker for Château Margaux. Paul, who was born in Bordeaux and heralds from a family of longtime wine producers, studied agronomy in Paris and viticulture in Montpellier. He then returned to Bordeaux in 1978 to prepare for a Ph.D. in Enology at the renowned Institute of Enology. He earned his doctorate in 1981 after a thesis on the barrelaging of red wines. He was soon on the move again and went to the University of Santiago in Chile. Here he worked as a Professor of Enology. In 1983 he returned to France and began work as the winemaker for Château Margaux and later became the General Manager. Paul will be joined by Joseph Spellman, Master Sommelier for Paterno Wines International, Fred Dame, Master Sommelier and President for the Court of Master Sommeliers, and Bernabe De Luna, Wine Director of the Highlands Inn; they will guide you though the complex flavors of Château Margaux. This tasting is a rare event and availability will be limited. Vintages to be tasted will include the following wines: 1982, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1993, 1994, 1995, and 1996. Also being tasted will be two vintages of limited production Pavillon Blanc 1989 and 2001. Those who have a yearning to sample the Château Margaux 1983 should take note that it will be poured at the Grand Finalé dinner on Saturday night only."

http://www.mfandw.com/schedule.php

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...ST&f=27&t=15190

Those wines are too young. They aren't pouring the two Margaux's which are most likely to be drinking which are the 1983 and the 1985. Otherwise 1982, 1986, 1995 and 1996 are wines worth tasting. And that price seems fair considering the list of wines. And you don't hear me say that very often do you?

And that price seems fair considering the list of wines. And you don't hear me say that very often do you?

Steve P -- Thanks for the input :raz: Why is the price fair, and are you assuming the usual pour for a wine tasting? :blink:

Edited by cabrales (log)

Price seems a little high to me assuming 1.5-2oz pours. The only truly expensive vintage is the 82. The 90 which is the next most expensive is not included. The selection is also a bit disappointing. I have all of the good Margaux from 78-89, and I can't imagine leaving out the 78 and 79 which are very interesting wines which kicked off the Margaux renaissance. Also the 83 is one of the most interesting Margaux as is the 90. 82 is great, quite fat, but only at the very front of its plateau of maturity. 86 is not ready at all as expected, and 88 is disappointing. I agree that the 85 should have been included. I also like the 89 a lot, to me this is one of Parker's biggest misses, he gives it an 89, versus 99 from WS. I this case, WS is much closer to being right.

• 3 weeks later...

Below is a description of a related, but different event. Could members advise on why 1983 Chateau Margaux is highlighted to be poured during the Grand Finale dinner and not included in the previously-described Margaux tasting?

"Grande Finalé dinner

6:30 pm 350.00

The Grand Finalé dinner begins with a Champagne Krug reception complemented with hors d’oeuvres by Douglas Rodriguez of Chicama in New York [dated information]... Creating the Dinner will be Eric Ripert of Le Bernardin in New York... and Gary Danko of Gary Danko in San Francisco... and Laurent Gras of the 5th Floor in San Francisco ... Todd English .... The entree will be created by Rick Edge of Pacific’s Edge, Highlands Inn, Park Hyatt Carmel. ... Reserve and library wines to accompany the dinner include Château Margaux Pavillon Blanc, introduced by Paul Pontallier, Domaine Faiveley, presented by Francois Faiveley, Maison Louis Jadot, featured by Pierre-Henri Gagey [vintages not indicated -- likely young]. The fourth course will feature the wines of Spain with Bodega Vega De Toro, S.L., introduced by Jorge Ordonez. Mr. Paul Pontallier will introduce a **1983 Château Margaux**. And for our finalé dessert we will introduce Alois Kracher, Jr. and his Kracher wines. Black tie is recommended for this event!"

Could members advise on why 1983 Chateau Margaux is highlighted to be poured during the Grand Finale dinner and not included in the previously-described Margaux tasting?

The '83 is drinking the best of all the wines listed at this time('85 is another possibility). I think that they will pour it at the dinner instead of the tasting so it will be showcased. When in Nashville at Une Ete du Vin they did a similiar thing.

The 83 is a little tight, but drinkable. It is the only genuinely great Margaux that is drinkable today unless you were to go back to 1959, as there were no other great Margaux produced in that interim except for the 82 which is not ready. The 85 is fully drinkable and very, very good, but like most 85s is a little short on concentration.

Edited by marcus (log)