• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

pastryani

Cleaning old metal chocolate molds

I received this cat mold from a friend but have no idea how to clean it without scratching it.  I tried warm soapy water with a sponge, but it's still got gunk on the inside and is still pretty tarnished on the outside.  Does anyone know?  Thanks!

IMG_2570.thumb.JPG.ee55c0ec76b5e89d6e13f6bff60a177c.JPGIMG_2571.thumb.JPG.ccec97922613df3551e756c82b4b26e1.JPG

I would take a heat gun (hair dryer) to it and gently heat it, then wipe out the inside with a soft microfiber cloth or cotton swap/ball.  Then some alcohol.  

• Like 1

Yup - what @RobertM says - not seeing any rust that needs removal. Outside will always look a little tarnished as part of the charm 

• Like 1