• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Tikka Masala

FoodMan, your desire to try new things and the frequency with which you do so is very inspiring. I am sure your significant other is quite the happy one. 

Will you remember taking photographs for us of the Chicken Tikka Masala?

How did you make the yogurt?

It would be my pleasure to share pics of the Tikka Masala (unless I burn it or something :sad: ).

I make yogurt the same way my mom does and has been doing for as long as I remember. I made my first batch about a couple of years ago using store bought yogurt as a starter. I heat up the milk until it is pretty much boiling then let it cool down until it is still hot but not so hot as to kill the live yogurt culture, the test I learned from mom is that it should be hot enough so that you cannot keep a -!!clean!!- index finger in the milk for more than 10 seconds (or you can use a thermometer but I don't). Then I just mix in the store yogurt (about 1/4 cup starter to a half gallon milk) with the milk in a glass or ceramic pot with a lid, wrap in a wool cloth, and leave at room temp over night. Come morning time I have fresh and very tasty yogurt with a texture that resembles a smooth soft custard-- works every time. Then I remove about 1/4 cup fresh yogurt and freeze it in a small plastic container to use next time as a starter , and I never have to buy yogurt again (make sure it is defrosted before using).

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Well as promised here is the Chicken Tikka Masala from Simon's recipe:

tmasala.jpg

I served it with white rice and homemade "naan" from the recipe in Monica Bhide's book. The chicken was delicious, the only thing I would change next time is maybe to add a little more tomatoes to get a deeper pink color and a little more tomato flavor.

Thanks for posting this fantastic recipe Simon.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

The picture is great. Thanks FoodMan! :smile:

The sauce you prepared looks quite authentic actually. In India we often enjoy sauces of this color more than the very red ones.

You can certainly add more tomatoes if you like a more acidic sauce, but you really ought not to do it on account of color.

You achieved a great color.. very authentic.

Many chicken tikka masala dishes in restaurants tend to be more reddish since often they use food coloring in the marinade.

Again, thanks for the pic.

Foodman,

That looks spot on.

I would warn against adding any more tom's. not just, as Suvir said, the sauce should not be too bright red, but also as it would overpower with tomato flavour.

One thing you can do is add a little ground Kashmiri Chilli ( only these, no other will do ) to the chicken marinade and that will give both intensity of flavour and more colour

S

Thanks for the suggestions and advice guys, I just wasn't sure if I got it right since the versions I've seen in restaurants are more reddish than this one. So I thought maybe Simon used a larger tin of tomatoes than the one I used or something.

Food coloring??!!! Didn't know that. The idea of adding a little Kashmiri red chilli sounds very appealing though.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Buy it in ground form and use 1 tsp in the marinade and 1/2 tsp in the sauce

If you want even more colour in the dish add some saffron into the marinade.  I prefer not to as it makes a different dish

S

In Indian cooking we use Kashmiri Mirch for color more than anything else. It does not have the heat of the hotter chile powders. But it imparts a rich color to sauces where it is added.

You are right Suvir.  it does not add heat which comes from the green chillies in the marinade and the red chilli powder in the sauce, but i do think it adds a depth of flavour to a dish

They are a little hard to find but worth the effort

S

Yes they add a great depth of flavor and a wonderful color and are worth finding. In NYC we find them at all our local Indian groceries labelled as Kashmiri Mirch.

Ah! In NYC (Queens or Manhattan preferred) where exactly do you find them, Suvir?

Sara I buy most all my spices at Foods Of India. It is located on Lexington Avenue and is the shop south of Kalustyans. Between 28 and 29th streets.

Just ask them for Kashmiri Mirch Powder.

Foods of India

121 Lexington Avenue

New York City, NY

Tel: (212) 683 4419

Proprietor: Arun Kumar Sinha

Thanks Simon.

Your recipe was the highlight of an Indian Dinner we had last night with our family.

I took the "preferred guest" approach and grilled the chunks instead of baking it,

that was rewarding as it added an extra smoky hint to all the great flavors.

The CTM is about to become a regular in our home.

Boaziko

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

Simon - thanks for posting this recipe. I made it at the weekend and really enjoyed it. I followed Scottish Chef's method and blended the sauce. The last recipe I tried for CTM was so long and tedious that I haven't made it for a while but I think your recipe will now be my default Indian standby!

I too, made it on the weekend but must await a report since I sent it off with my daughter for her family. I'll let you know how it went over. I too, grilled the chicken after it had been marinated.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I too, grilled the chicken after it had been marinated.

I find that one step critical.

It gives a great texture to the dish.

I forgot to mention I made this last week as well. I did puree the sauce, but only grilled some of the chicken, partly because I was lazy but I was also interested to see how it worked either way. It was delicious.

Since the spice proportions are the same in both parts of the recipe, is there any reason I shouldn't make up a bunch of the spice mixture and keep it in an airtight container?

Edited by Blondie (log)

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

You can make batches up and freeze it in small bags.  Keeps better that way

I am not so sure on all this blending and grilling nonsense!! :angry:  :biggrin:

S

Well I didn't blend but I did grill and the report back from my daughter is YUMMMMMMYYY.............................

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Suvir,

Thanks very much for that Foods of India tip. The prices are about half of Kalustyans and if you say their quality is top notch then well this is quite a find.

Question: when I asked for Kashmiri powder, he said that was paprika. Have I been led astray?